Stop over in Reykjavik

Coolcruise02

Since the search function isn't working I wonder if anyone has first hand experience flying with Icelandair and having a 24+hr layover in Reykjavik. We are headed to Copenhagen for a Baltic cruise next year and DH would like to fly thru Iceland. (CMH to CPH)

Did you feel that short of visit was worth it?

Thanks for any info! :)

If you are just connecting in Reykjavik then chances are your luggage will be checked straight thru to Copenhagen but you'll likely have to go thru Passport control and security again to cross over to the Eurozone portion of the airport. That is if you are coming directly into Iceland from outside such as North America. That was my experience just two months ago flying out of Boston.

I think that if you are laying over in Reykjavik for 24 hours then you'll have to pick up your luggage and clear Iceland's Passport control before leaving the airport. I can't see the airline holding onto the luggage to the next day if not a straight connection. Therefore, you would have to check in once again the next day.

As for Iceland - love it! 24 hours is not enough. :) My only regret last time was that we were not doing a layover to visit while on our way to Amsterdam.

As stated, if you have a layover, you will need to claim your luggage. You will find the airport easy to navigate and the lines reasonable at worst.

The main thing you need a warning about: Brennivín, the local version of schnapps. :)

A "circle tour" is a good introduction to the country.

The main thing you need a warning about: Brennivín, the local version of schnapps. :)

AKA "Black Death". Hope to pick some up at the duty-free on the way home -- doing an Icelandair promo deal in September that was too good to stay home. And yes, I will be bringing in duty-free, so I won't go bankrupt in the bar while there.

Don't miss the Blue Lagoon! We were just there on Maasdam's Voyage of the Vikings and had a great day with a private Golden Circle Tour and swimming in the Blue Lagoon. I can post our driver's info but it would be pricey without a group. I do know that Iceland Air offers tours while you are waiting for your hotel.

Archived