HAL compared to Princess

deminggraham

I normally sail with Princess in a mini suite but am looking for a change and think HAL may be a good fit. I have a few questions. What is the difference between an Verandah and a Superior Veranda? My favorite Princess ships are the Island and the Coral which have 1950 passengers. I like the larger Princess ships but think the Island and Coral are much nicer. Which HAL ships would you suggest? What are the differences between HAL and Princess? Any information to help me decide will be appreciated.

Pam in CA- What are your suggestions if you are out there?

I normally sail with Princess in a mini suite but am looking for a change and think HAL may be a good fit. I have a few questions. What is the difference between an Verandah and a Superior Veranda? My favorite Princess ships are the Island and the Coral which have 1950 passengers. I like the larger Princess ships but think the Island and Coral are much nicer. Which HAL ships would you suggest? What are the differences between HAL and Princess? Any information to help me decide will be appreciated.

I was on Pam in CA's cruise on the Oosterdam in April and she had the mirror stateroom to mine:) So, I am guessing that the SC's staterooms on the Aft of the ship are similar to what you are describing on Princess.

I have photos of my stateroom SC 6177 on Oosterdam (Like I said, Pam's was the mirror image of mine) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/Deck-6.html

Joanie

We recently tried HAL on the Veendam. Smaller ship but the service & food were very good. One noticeable difference to me was the pool areas.

The Veendam had 1 main pool (Lido -very busy) plus the aft area had hot tubs & "poolettes" (little shade). I preferred the variety of pools and their areas on Princess. Having said that, we are booked the Eurodam & decided to reserve a cabana in the Retreat area. :)

I can see us going back and forth between Princess & HAL for further cruises, depending on the itinerary and price. Both are very nice cruise lines.

Thank you for the information. I think I will try HAL for a change. It seems that HAL has most of what I love about Princess and the size of the ships is perfect. The regular balcony sizes on HAL are listed as 212 to 359 sq feet. The Princess mini is 324 sq ft. Why the big size difference in the HAL balconies (VA &VB) and which ones are the larger ones? The floor plans of the regular balcony look similar to the Princess mini suite.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you for the information. I think I will try HAL for a change. It seems that HAL has most of what I love about Princess and the size of the ships is perfect. The regular balcony sizes on HAL are listed as 212 to 359 sq feet. The Princess mini is 324 sq ft. Why the big size difference in the HAL balconies (VA &VB) and which ones are the larger ones? The floor plans of the regular balcony look similar to the Princess mini suite.

I really appreciate your help.

DH and I sailed in a mini-suite on Emerald Princess, and I agree, the layout is similar to HAL's balconies (V). We sailed in a V on Zuiderdam.

Small differences that may or may not be of consequence to you...

• the poolside grill hours are more limited on HAL -- my Dad would notice this one
  • the free ice cream on HAL include real scoops, a wider variety of flavors, and waffle cones (not just softserve) -- my DH would notice this one
  • Lido has more of a 'service' atmosphere on HAL. You serve yourself with breads and salads/fruits, but for entrees and veggies, you are served from behind the glass onto a hot plate. Princess is more of a 'self-serve' atmosphere in the buffet, with carving stations being full service. Both have abandoned trays, but Princess's plates are more conducive to adding numerous items on the same plate. When I was last on HAL (sadly, too long ago...), the plates were still the round plates used when trays were available.
  • HAL has fresh-squeezed OJ in the lido, but this isn't available in the main dining room breakfast. HAL offers a wider variety of juices (pineapple, tomato, grape, apple) than Princess in the Lido for breakfast.
  • HAL dinner entrees may not be to everyone's liking. They do offer more "down-home cooking" rather than exotic fare. There are still exotic dishes, but some people are put off by the offerings of braised shortribs or meatloaf. But like I said, the other items are still there. You might view this thread for a sampling of the types of items offered on HAL's menu. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1035892 The menus are not current... and they are specific to Alaska... but I think you can get a 'taste' of what to expect.

That's all I can think of right now.

I've been on Princess a few times - I do notice a difference in the room size if you are doing the mini suite. I also found the food in the Lido on HAL much better than the food on Princess - same for the MDR - but things change on a ship from week to week and ship to ship and food is subjective. So, my experience may not be yours.

To me, HAL seems more for intimacy, quiet spots, enjoyment and Princess more for clock round entertainment. HAl offers lots of entertainment no question but Princess seems to focus on more activities during the day.

The regular balcony sizes on HAL are listed as 212 to 359 sq feet.
I can't see how HAL comes up with either of those numbers in the Vx cabins. Here's my belief of Vx sizes on the Vista and Signature ships, including the balcony area.

205 - Eurodam VT with a semi-circular Juliette balcony

234 - Vista and Signature deck 5 VE&VF, Signature VQ

252 - most side VA/VB/VC on Vista and Sig

252 to 270 - stern VA on Signatures

261 - Signature deck 8 V

265 - Vista and Sig VD and deck 4 VF

297 to 324 - stern VA cabins on the Vistas, depending on deck and ship

324 - Signature VA& VD 4051,4052,4053,4054,4129,4131,4132,4134

333 - "double wide balcony" VD cabins 4164&4166 on Vistas, 4166&4168 on Sig

Main differences: The food and the mattresses! We just got back from Island Princess to Alaska and weren't quite prepared for coffee brewed from syrup!

jtl513 has given you such detailed information on the Holland America balcony cabins on the Vista ships (Noordam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam) and Signature (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) ships.

I can't see how HAL comes up with either of those numbers in the Vx cabins. Here's my belief of Vx sizes on the Vista and Signature ships, including the balcony area.

205 - Eurodam VT with a semi-circular Juliette balcony

234 - Vista and Signature deck 5 VE&VF, Signature VQ

252 - most side VA/VB/VC on Vista and Sig

252 to 270 - stern VA on Signatures

261 - Signature deck 8 V

265 - Vista and Sig VD and deck 4 VF

297 to 324 - stern VA cabins on the Vistas, depending on deck and ship

324 - Signature VA& VD 4051,4052,4053,4054,4129,4131,4132,4134

333 - "double wide balcony" VD cabins 4164&4166 on Vistas, 4166&4168 on Sig

You mention Island/Coral mini suites are 324 square feet, but some websites maintain they are 280 - 302.

The SZ-SY-SS superior verandah suite category average around 380 square feet on both Vista and Signatures. I can't give a breakdown as detailed as jtl513! But, one (travel agency) website refers to the 25/25 rule: HAL cabins are roughly 25% larger than corresponding cabins on Princess, and the ships have 25% fewer passengers - Vista ships carry just over 1900 pax, and the Signatures around 2,100.

There are no real difference in perks between the VH - VA verandahs and the SZ - SS superior verandahs. Serious perks start on HAL at the deluxe verandah suite level (SC, SB, SA on the Vista and Signature classes).

The Vista ships debuted 2002 -2006; and Signatures debuted 2008 and 2010. Since Island and Coral date from 2002/2003, I'm guessing you won't find these classes of HAL ships "old".

Main differences: The food and the mattresses! We just got back from Island Princess to Alaska and weren't quite prepared for coffee brewed from syrup!

How could I forget the mattresses?!?!?! HAL's mattresses are far superior to Princess. The Princess fans will remind you to get your egg crate mattress pad early while supplies last... absolutely no need for one on HAL.

If you are accustomed to mini-suites, you are already accustomed to a larger bathroom. HAL's balcony cabins (lower than the suite categories) have a larger shower than the Princess stall-type showers in lower categories. Our Emerald Princess mini-suite bathroom was very comparable to HAL's.

We like the domes over the main pool on HAL in the event of inclement weather. We like the 24/7 pools being open on P. HAL pools and hot tubs close at either 10 or 11PM. We WAY prefer the bedding (linens and mattresses on HAL) over P. HAL is a little bit more like what traveling on an ocean liner of years gone is like compared to P. Bottom line.....I'd be happy on either!

What I like about HAL that (most) princess ships do not have

Tamarind (utterly fantastic) Free lunch,

Canaletto for free fantastic dinner. I mean it really is very good.

Afternoon tea for suites, and all the other suite perks which are in my opinion the best in the Biz.

MDR Breakfast via room service or private rest.

Retreat Cabanas, HAL's cabana boys will go get a fantastic lunch for you, whatever is available that you want. They completely spoil you. Best service anywhere. Have you heard or seen any info regarding these? Amazing. Quiet and relaxed.

Bath Tubs in a lot of cabins, OV and up. In Sup. Suites & Deluxe Suites, separate jetted tub and shower.

Bring all of the wine and champagne you want onboard.

Have you seen the Deluxe suite perks?

You can book the suite amenites package for $379 if not in a Deluxe Suite and its an amazing deal.

Balcony cabin VD 4166 has 16 foot balcony, AND a bathtub. (Eurodam)

Espresso & Capp. In MDR Free

That's what keep me booking Eurodam, versus other lines when I have 3 cruises in the works. These things are very important to me.

Just my 2 cents, everyone has things that are important to them.

I wanted to do another princess cruise, its been like 8 years, but these things really matter to me.

We sailed on Princess in mini suites that are similar in size to HALs balcony cabins, just a bit wider and w/ 2 tvs. The fresh OJ on HAL is a benefit from room service. Coffee is not great in room service on either but HALs is a bit better. We now use Viva and order hot water. Now that P doesn't allow smoking on the balcony has limited us from booking with them. I think the dining and cabin stewards on H are much better as are the dining room managers. Food is similar. I like the chef's special wine dinner on P a bit more and none of the specialty restaurants except Tamarind are that great on either. Shows are comporable. Shops are alike. The itineraries are interchangable.

First, my family and I are big Princess fans. But HAL does a great job too.

Princess has the greatest pools afloat (I've not cruised RCCL) but I've speculated that all that extra fresh water pool plumbing on Princess ships appears come at the sacrifice or expense of industrial laundry capacity. Both HAL and X offer pool side towels and more dining linens...

HAL's (two story) dining rooms are more impressive than Princess. HAL's cabin bedding and bathrooms are superior to Princess.

Food - too subjective and ship variable to call - both are on par. HAL retains traditional dining. Service is a slightly different. Princess has a more multi-national crew than HAL. Princess crew is therefore more multi-lingual (better English skills) and more gregarious. HAL's crew is mainly Dutch officers and service crew largely of the 'Dutch East Indies', ie. Indonesia. HAL has a interesting colonial retro vibe (not in any offensive demeaning sense - just a very very old line with old ties that bind).

HAL is a nice cruise as is Princess.

I prefer HAL.

I think the service on HAL is better, particularly the front desk. On Princess, the front desk and tour excursion staff varied from clueless to downright rude. Friends have had similar complaints, so it wasn't just me.

I like that HAL offers peace and quiet. I hated the loud music at the pool areas on Princess. It was impossible to relax and read. HAL makes fewer announcements--IIRC, just in the morning and at noon. Princess seemed to be constantly announcing bingo, spa events, and special sales in the shops. They must make a lot of money from bingo, because they really pushed it.

I would say that food is comparable in quality. We had assigned dining on our cruises on Princess and HAL, so service was good on both. Open seating breakfast in MDR on HAL was fine. On Princess, it was incredibly disorganized. Ditto afternoon tea. A debacle on Princess, lovely on HAL.

One plus for Princess would be the buffet hours. I think there was some part of the buffet open at any hour of the day. If you got back from a late tour, or just wanted a nosh, there was always something to eat. HAL's buffet closes down, even for snacks, too early in the evening.

We were in different categories of cabin on the two lines, so I can't compare for size, but both were comfortable. I did not notice any problems with bedding on Princess--didn't know they will provide egg crates to compensate for bad mattresses.

-we prefer the decor on Princess-it seems more open

-Princess does a better job, in our experience, in 'open dining in MDR'

-Princess has better entertainment than HAL (but then again everyone does)

-Princess buffet has much better hours

-we prefer Princess deck pools, bar service, etc. They seem to be designed for the passengers instead of just 'stuck somewhere'.

-HAL has much better beds -Princess beds are terrible

-HAL has real coffee-not that awful syrup stuff

-HAL gives us our caps with a double shot of expresso at breakfast in the MDR at no additional charge. A nice touch.

We find cabin service, MDR food and service to be about the same.

There are significant differences between ships within each of the two fleets so a ship to ship comparison may be more appropriate depending on the itnerary.

Thank you all so much for the wonderful information. I now have a much better idea of the comparison between Princess and HAL. I think we will try HAL for our next shorter cruise. It will be a treat to have a good mattress and good coffee without having to buy a coffee card. Because of my better Platinum benefits on Princess our next cruise will be a transatlantic on Princess unless HAL has a really great deal.

One other question. What are the suite benefits and when and how do you purchase them? Is the extra $379 pp?

Everyone always gripes about the mattresses on Princess. I actually like a firm mattress. So, if I like the Princess mattresses, does that mean I will hate the ones on HAL?

I'm following this discussion because, after 3 trips to AK on Princess, I am looking for something a little different - different ship, different food, different entertainment, etc. Considering HAL because they go to Sitka. I just wonder what I will miss about Princess (pizza!?) or what might be better on HAL. I've heard that the coffee is better on HAL, but what about iced tea? I find the iced tea on Princess to be undrinkable.

Everyone always gripes about the mattresses on Princess. I actually like a firm mattress. So, if I like the Princess mattresses, does that mean I will hate the ones on HAL?

I'm following this discussion because, after 3 trips to AK on Princess, I am looking for something a little different - different ship, different food, different entertainment, etc. Considering HAL because they go to Sitka. I just wonder what I will miss about Princess (pizza!?) or what might be better on HAL. I've heard that the coffee is better on HAL, but what about iced tea? I find the iced tea on Princess to be undrinkable.

There's a lot to like about HAL. As far as bedding goes... Princess is firm - because its just... cheap. Firm doesn't have to be 'hard' unless in a Chinese hotel or on Princess (thin). I like Princess (and I don't like soft mattresses), but all lines have their shortcomings and coffee, mattresses, and towels are Princess. HAL can be on the quiet side later in the evening, that's their short.

Thank you all so much for the wonderful information. I now have a much better idea of the comparison between Princess and HAL. I think we will try HAL for our next shorter cruise. It will be a treat to have a good mattress and good coffee without having to buy a coffee card. Because of my better Platinum benefits on Princess our next cruise will be a transatlantic on Princess unless HAL has a really great deal.

One other question. What are the suite benefits and when and how do you purchase them? Is the extra $379 pp?

You can book the suite package under indulgences online, after u book your cabin, for any cabin that is not a SC, SB, SA I would book it. SC,SB, SA have alot of awesome amenites.

I prefer HAL.

I think the service on HAL is better, particularly the front desk. On Princess, the front desk and tour excursion staff varied from clueless to downright rude. Friends have had similar complaints, so it wasn't just me.

I like that HAL offers peace and quiet. I hated the loud music at the pool areas on Princess. It was impossible to relax and read. HAL makes fewer announcements--IIRC, just in the morning and at noon. Princess seemed to be constantly announcing bingo, spa events, and special sales in the shops. They must make a lot of money from bingo, because they really pushed it.

I would say that food is comparable in quality. We had assigned dining on our cruises on Princess and HAL, so service was good on both. Open seating breakfast in MDR on HAL was fine. On Princess, it was incredibly disorganized. Ditto afternoon tea. A debacle on Princess, lovely on HAL.

One plus for Princess would be the buffet hours. I think there was some part of the buffet open at any hour of the day. If you got back from a late tour, or just wanted a nosh, there was always something to eat. HAL's buffet closes down, even for snacks, too early in the evening.

We were in different categories of cabin on the two lines, so I can't compare for size, but both were comfortable. I did not notice any problems with bedding on Princess--didn't know they will provide egg crates to compensate for bad mattresses.

The announcements on Princess…UUGGH! I know I’ve only been on one Princess sailing but my goodness did that cruise director like to hear her voice on the PA. Of course I have no hard evidence to prove this but I swear she made more announcements than the cruise directors on Carnival. It seemed like such a waste of paper to print the daily schedule, she read it to the entire ship 3 or 4 times a day… activity by activity… line by line…

• 2 weeks later...

I have also done a bunch of Princess (and Celebrity) cruises and am considering a first HAL cruise on a Eurodam Baltic Cruise. Both Princess and Celebrity have an indoor pool. The Eurodam is listed as not having an indoor pool but a previous poster in this thread mentioned the outdoor pool could be covered in inclement weather.

This would be particularly important to me on a Northern Cruise. How does this work on the Eurodam?

Archived