Self-Guided Walking Tour, Dubrovnik

We have one day to explore Dubrovnik, and I'm looking for a basic self-guided walking tour. Can anybody recommend a book or website with such a tour? Thanks very much!

You can try this site: http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

Here is a site with the map: http://www.korculainfo.com/dubrovnik/map/

Dubrovnik very easy to DIY.

The old town of Dubrovnik is a very compact area (surrounded by walls) and your cruise ship will probably give you a map. You can also get a brochure at the old town that clearly marks the sites. This is a very tourist-friendly city and the thought of being stuck in a large group is enough to keep me on the ship :) If you want info in advance you can get plenty of tourist info (and maps) by simply using the internet (and it is free). On our last visit we decided to forego the outrageous cruise line transfers and use the local bus that stops right in front of the port terminal building (you can buy discount bus tickets across the street in the coffee shop). The local bus drops you at the same place as the cruise line shuttle for a fraction of the cost. Others on our cruise walked to the old town from the port, but this is a pretty good walk (about 1 3/4 miles).

Hank

The old town of Dubrovnik is a very compact area (surrounded by walls) and your cruise ship will probably give you a map. You can also get a brochure at the old town that clearly marks the sites. This is a very tourist-friendly city and the thought of being stuck in a large group is enough to keep me on the ship :) If you want info in advance you can get plenty of tourist info (and maps) by simply using the internet (and it is free). On our last visit we decided to forego the outrageous cruise line transfers and use the local bus that stops right in front of the port terminal building (you can buy discount bus tickets across the street in the coffee shop). The local bus drops you at the same place as the cruise line shuttle for a fraction of the cost. Others on our cruise walked to the old town from the port, but this is a pretty good walk (about 1 3/4 miles).

Hank

Did you need local currency to by the tickets in the coffee shop?? We did this once and had to walk always to get local currency from an ATM before we could use the bus, but that was a couple of years ago. Will be back there this fall and will most likely do again, but just this currency question......THX

There's an excellent MP3 (iPod) tour from Discovery Walks, downloadable from iTunes. It was simple to use, and allowed us to pick and choose those sites we wished to concentrate on.

Also great for preview and review.

I can't recall the price, but I know I felt it was reasonable.

Did you need local currency to by the tickets in the coffee shop?? We did this once and had to walk always to get local currency from an ATM before we could use the bus, but that was a couple of years ago. Will be back there this fall and will most likely do again, but just this currency question......THX

Yes, you do need local currency. I am having a senior moment and cannot recall if we got currency in the terminal building or at one of the places across the street (near where you can buy discount bus tickets). We were so annoyed with the price charged for the shuttle that I would have walked all the way into town before we would allow ourselves to be robbed by the cruise line.

Hank

Yes, you do need local currency. I am having a senior moment and cannot recall if we got currency in the terminal building or at one of the places across the street (near where you can buy discount bus tickets). We were so annoyed with the price charged for the shuttle that I would have walked all the way into town before we would allow ourselves to be robbed by the cruise line.

Hank

Yes, so that is still the case. We walked a ways to an ATM, got our stash of cash, and then got the bus at the next stop from there. It would be really good to catch it closer. And yes, we feel the same way about the prices charged for shuttles and do most anything to avoid them............

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on where you dock. We docked in the old port in Gruz, about 21/2 miles from town. We walked from the ship, turned right and walked I guess a couple of blocks to a convenience store where we exchanged some money for kunas and then caught the local bus nearby. I can't remember if we used an ATM or if they exchanged euros for us.

One thing I do remember is that this is the one port of many on our Mediterranean cruise where they did want to see the original of your passport as you go through the Security building at the port. One couple who took the shuttle had to go back to their cabin to get theirs. I heard they were :mad:.

We have just returned from our Mediterranena cruise which included a stop at Dubrovnik. There were plenty of taxis waiting at the dock. We took a one hour taxi tour which dropped us at the main gate at the end of the tour. The cost was 50 Euro. With 4 people in the taxi, the cost was reasonable. We then walked the wall (paid via credit card so did not need kunas). Then took a one hour boat ride for 10 Euro per person. Took a taxi back to the ship for cost of 10 Euro (again waited for another couple to share the cost of the taxi). All shops accepted Euros so need to purchase kunas. We had a great day and would highly recommend travelling independently.

There's an excellent MP3 (iPod) tour from Discovery Walks, downloadable from iTunes. It was simple to use, and allowed us to pick and choose those sites we wished to concentrate on.

Also great for preview and review.

I can't recall the price, but I know I felt it was reasonable.

Have just bought this via the Discovery Walks website for 15$. Will report back on how it goes.

Can someone tell me why this detailed walking tour of Dubrovnik, as well as Bruges and Tallin, has become unavailable through the Cruise Critic forum?:confused:

It's a mystery to me as it was a wonderful no cost DIY option for walking tours. You can find the tours at brentje with an s dot com/dubrovnik

Have just bought this via the Discovery Walks website for 15$. Will report back on how it goes.

I will look forward to your reaction.

It's a failing of mine that I don't always remember important details of a site even with the best guides. The Discovery Walk helped me focus on those aspects of the town that I really wanted to explore. It also allowed us to engage with much of Dubrovnik well before the arrival of the organized tours.

Hope it works as well for you, Dubrovnik's a delightful destination.

Hi Rockin! We have used several of his guide books many, many times over the years and I only know of one error. When we went to France one year, he had the dates of the Grand Prix in Monaco incorrect.

That said, even Rick says that things like museum hours and prices change and you should always travel with the most up-to-date guide book possible, and if anything is critical, verify the information yourself.

We went on Rick's Eastern Europe tour (which included Croatia) and have been to Croatia 2x on our own - you will LOVE IT. We especially loved Split & Plitvice Lakes. If you have any questions about traveling in Croatia, let me know and I will try to answer them. There is also a very good, experience traveler on this board named Hank (code name HLITNER) and he is very generous in the way he takes time to dispense advice about traveling in Europe. One of his posts is called DON"T BE AFRAID TO DO THINGS ON YOUR OWN, of you want to ask him specific questions you can post there.

We have just returned from our Mediterranena cruise which included a stop at Dubrovnik. There were plenty of taxis waiting at the dock. We took a one hour taxi tour which dropped us at the main gate at the end of the tour. The cost was 50 Euro. With 4 people in the taxi, the cost was reasonable. We then walked the wall (paid via credit card so did not need kunas). Then took a one hour boat ride for 10 Euro per person. Took a taxi back to the ship for cost of 10 Euro (again waited for another couple to share the cost of the taxi). All shops accepted Euros so need to purchase kunas. We had a great day and would highly recommend travelling independently.

Nightowl13, do you know the name of the boat ride? Where did you go to get the ride? Thanks:D

Archived