Is tipping the maitre d a standard practice in land bound restaurants?

Bevv

In his blog, John Heald said:

"Tipping the maitre d is standard practice within the industry" and suggested a tip of 5.00 per couple (he did not say per day, or the ruise, I assume he meant per time you see him.

So my question is - is tipping the Matre d a common practice in land based restaurants?

When we go to upscale restaurants on land, we will tip the Maitre'd if he/she gives us special treatment (i.e. honoring a request, giving us the table we want, putting us by the window, etc). On a cruise, we tip the Maitre'd if we got a great table with fun people or if he did something special for us (such as changing tables or changed dining times).

In NY, you won't be able to get a (good) table at some restaurants if you don't grease.

That said, the only time I tipped a Maitre'D on a cruise was when he placed me at a table of eight, and the other seven diners were women.

I want to preface this comment by saying I've only cruised twice, so far, and come from a country where tipping is not standard practice. I do though travel with Americans, am well traveled and well read so it's not often I "get it wrong".

I was a bit gob-smacked on both Splendor and Triumph to have both more than one announcement and a bit in the Compass telling me it was "customary" to tip. Then to find an envelope in the cabin with his name on it. If it is in fact so "customary" why do we need to be reminded?

On The Splendor the only night we actually saw the Maitre'D was on the last night at the entrance to the MD standing there to collect his envelopes. Bad taste. On The Triumph he did visit our table each night to see if everything was OK - but I really, really, wish he hadn't felt it necessary to stand with his hands on the back of my chair - every night.

I don't tip the Captain, the CD, the head engineer, the navigator, the hotel director or any other officer, they are being paid a good salary to do their jobs. I have always tipped the room steward and our wait staff over and above the daily tips, and will continue to do so. I'll tip the Maitre'D on either the day I make some request that is well above and beyond his job description or the day my butt no longer points downwards. :D

I want to preface this comment by saying I've only cruised twice, so far, and come from a country where tipping is not standard practice. I do though travel with Americans, am well traveled and well read so it's not often I "get it wrong".

I was a bit gob-smacked on both Splendor and Triumph to have both more than one announcement and a bit in the Compass telling me it was "customary" to tip. Then to find an envelope in the cabin with his name on it. If it is in fact so "customary" why do we need to be reminded?

On The Splendor the only night we actually saw the Maitre'D was on the last night at the entrance to the MD standing there to collect his envelopes. Bad taste. On The Triumph he did visit our table each night to see if everything was OK - but I really, really, wish he hadn't felt it necessary to stand with his hands on the back of my chair - every night.

I don't tip the Captain, the CD, the head engineer, the navigator, the hotel director or any other officer, they are being paid a good salary to do their jobs. I have always tipped the room steward and our wait staff over and above the daily tips, and will continue to do so. I'll tip the Maitre'D on either the day I make some request that is well above and beyond his job description or the day my butt no longer points downwards. :D

Well put, thanks.

To the OP - no, it is not standard practice to tip the Maitre D' in a regular restaurant. At least I have never done so and have never been in a party where someone has done so and have never seen or heard of anyone ever doing so (the postings above excepted).

Evandbob - am I correct therefore in understanding that the best upscale restaurants in NYC have a lot of crappy tables? It sounds like the "good" tables are rare. I'll have to double check that myself on my next visit.

When we go to upscale restaurants on land, we will tip the Maitre'd if he/she gives us special treatment (i.e. honoring a request, giving us the table we want, putting us by the window, etc). On a cruise, we tip the Maitre'd if we got a great table with fun people or if he did something special for us (such as changing tables or changed dining times).

Does the maitre 'd make the table assignments?

Kathy

The bottom line is that over time, cruise lines have relied more and more on passengers to enhance the salaries of their staff. Encouraging tips is the primary method of doing so. I have always rewarded those who have provided a service that is worthy. Simply being there does not qualify in my book.

To me, the M'D is part of the senior management staff and should be taken cared of well by the company. If there are 2 restaurants per ship and 23 ships in CCL, that is a small exclusive group within the company. Unless the M'D has done something specific for me, I done tip them.

My last cruise, he never came by our table at all. I did observe the assistant M'D doing magic tricks for the kids at the next table but had he done that at our table with 6 kids, he might have gotten something from me.

Disembarked from a Carnival Magic cruise just last week. I was surprised how much it was reminded to tip the maitre d... including right in the middle of the last dinner by Heald who came on over the PA to remind us of that and the fact shops were still open. Love the guy but I thought this was a bit much. We were told how customary it was to tip maitre d. If it is, then why isn't bundled in with the rest of the prepaid gratuities?! While I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise, this felt like trying to empty passenger pockets just before they got off.

Out of six cruises, we tipped the M'd one time and that was because he honored our request for a private 3 top table after the first night.

Other than that, never had the M'd handle anything for us so never felt the need to tip him/her.

We tip them if they've done something for us. However, the hostesses get tipped because I need a gluten free diet and those hostesses are the ones who take care of the orders every night. They are great and often get totally overlooked by most of the passengers. I wonder if they get a cut of the auto tips. Does anyone know for sure?

I could see it if he/she did something special for me. On my one and only cruise on the Legend in June of this year, the ONLY time we saw the Maitre D the LAST dinner and he was front and center greeting everybody he could. And no I have never nor seen anybody tip the front desk at any kind of restraunt on land.

We tip them if they've done something for us. However, the hostesses get tipped because I need a gluten free diet and those hostesses are the ones who take care of the orders every night. They are great and often get totally overlooked by most of the passengers. I wonder if they get a cut of the auto tips. Does anyone know for sure?

I have also tipped the Hostess on our last two cruises because I too require a gluten free menu and they have gone way above and beyond to make my dining experience fantastic! We have never tipped the Maitre d, but if he starts bringing me my gluten free chocolate melting cake then his chances of receiving a tip will greatly improve!

In land restaurants, it's only customary if you want or need something specific (seating request, etc.) from the maitre d'. I would apply the same logic to the ship. I didn't need any special treatment, so he didn't get a tip. I felt the envelope in the room was a little crass though.

When I go to Chili's or Outback, I don't tip the Maitre'D because it's usually someone named Mystie or Summer or Bryce or Skye and all they do is walk me to my table.. They don't even bring me my blooming onion or the Chocolate thunder from down under!

In his blog, John Heald said:

"Tipping the maitre d is standard practice within the industry" and suggested a tip of 5.00 per couple (he did not say per day, or the ruise, I assume he meant per time you see him.

So my question is - is tipping the Matre d a common practice in land based restaurants?

The OP quoted John Heald and then asked about land based restaurants.

The way I read it, is that the OP is stating that the MDR is the same as going to a land based restaurant.

"Within the industry" means the cruising industry and not the restaurant industry, so to compare the Maitre D' on a cruise ship to a land based restaurant would not be accurate.

Many people have stated in previous tipping threads that tipping is a personal choice and I do agree. It's not my place to tell someone how to tip or how much to tip and it's not their place to tell me the same.

Coming from a mostly service oriented industry in my younger years, I did rely on tips to supplement the whopping $1.75 - $2.01 per hour I made waiting tables so my tipping ethics and the scale I base my tips is extremely different than what many people who have never worked in the service industry would be.

Are they wrong in how they tip? No. Am I right in how I tip? No.

As far as tipping a Maitre D' either on land or sea to me is based on what service I personally receive from them. I have tipped Maitre D' in land based restaurants and we will see when I cruise if I will tip on on sea as well.

Hoping you have clear skies and smooth seas on your cruises :)

Archived