Medical forms

peanutter

Hi all. This is probably a strange question but here goes. Long story short, we have a cruise planned for the end of October and my SIL has been diagnosed with advanced cancer. I'm not sure at this point if we are going to need to cancel, but my question is, how "invasive" are the medical questions on the form the insurance folks will send us to have a doctor fill out? If it were me or my DH, I wouldn't feel odd about the situation. It just seems sort of harsh to say to her, "hey, we've got this trip planned and we need your doctor, whom we don't know, to fill out some paperwork for us so we don't loose our money." All this while she is under a tremendous amount of stress and it just seems sort of frivolous in the situation. I feel guilty even thinking about my trip when her situation is so serious. I do understand the company needs verification. It just seems strange to share her private information in our environment of keeping health information secure.

FWIW, we bought CruiseCare through Royal Caribbean. We do have the option of cancelling for any reason and getting a 75% cruise credit.

First, I am very sorry to hear this. This can't be an easy time for you or your family.

I don't know what your coverage states, but the policies I usually purchase will only cover cancellation because of the illness of a family member if the condition is life threatening, as certified by the patient's physician, or if that family member requires the care of one of the insureds.

Yes, her physician will have to complete forms for you to receive payment. It's just the way it is. If you want to submit a claim for full reimbursement because you cancel your cruise due to her medical condition, she's going to have to relinquish some of her personal information; this means she'd have to give permission for her doctor to complete this paperwork.

I do so appreciate your gracious answers that I really should know already. I'm thinking it is sort of like FMLA - the example of the form really does help, even though I know it is just an example. Thanks again for the kind words and information.

For TravelGuard it was a one-page form that was exactly what you would expect. Diagnosis code, brief description of the problem, and the date when it was figured that you traveling would be a bad idea.

There was a second (optional) form for my Dad to sign (he was the one that got sick) allowing a medical records release. (This is so the insurance company can go right to the doctor if they have any additional questions, instead of having to go through you.)

I'm sure the doctor's office has filled out these forms before, so it shouldn't be a big deal for them. Other than maybe a signature or two, your SIL won't have to fill out anything.

If you are going to be lending your SIL a hand when you otherwise would have been on vacation, I can't imagine she'd have a big problem with it...

Archived