Puerto Vallarta on a budget

andynapril

We'll be in Puerto Vallarta in late Nov. We'll have our teen-age kids and some of their friends who will all be on a tight budget. Does anyone know of anything we can do for a few dollars? Maybe a nice beach we can taxi to? Other suggestions? I've been once before and we just walked around town and shopped and ate. Looking for something a little more than that for this trip. Thanks for any suggestions.

We'll be in Puerto Vallarta in late Nov. We'll have our teen-age kids and some of their friends who will all be on a tight budget. Does anyone know of anything we can do for a few dollars? Maybe a nice beach we can taxi to? Other suggestions? I've been once before and we just walked around town and shopped and ate. Looking for something a little more than that for this trip. Thanks for any suggestions.

You can take a bus downtown for about 6.5 pesos (a little over 50 cents US) and go to the Sea Monkey bar/restaurant on the beach just beyond the river. They sell beer and margaritas for a dollar. The beach is not pristine, but is usable. Our friend got a parasail ride for about 35 dollars US near that area.

You can also make a deal with the local taxis for a tour that includes whatever you want to do for a very good price. The taxi drivers will stay with you and they know the area very well, so you can customize a tour with them to suit your tastes.

You can take a bus downtown for about 6.5 pesos (a little over 50 cents US) and go to the Sea Monkey bar/restaurant on the beach just beyond the river. They sell beer and margaritas for a dollar. The beach is not pristine, but is usable. Our friend got a parasail ride for about 35 dollars US near that area.

You can also make a deal with the local taxis for a tour that includes whatever you want to do for a very good price. The taxi drivers will stay with you and they know the area very well, so you can customize a tour with them to suit your tastes.

LOL I was going to suggest the Sea Monkey as well......great food, service and drink...it became our new favourite beach hang out in May. Yes the beach isn't as great as it is a few hundred yards south but we swam there many a day. The $1.00 Margs are not my favourite at all but I went through the really expensive $2.00 drink menu a few times. :eek:

Very clean with lovely restrooms. We love Troy's new restaurant.

Bonus is you can shop with the beach vendors, toes in sand- drink in hand or wander one block up to Bastilio Badillo for great vendor stand or store shopping. Huge bonus is that La Playa liquor store less then block on Olas Altas always has the best prices on Tequila and coffee liquers.

LOL I was going to suggest the Sea Monkey as well......great food, service and drink...it became our new favourite beach hang out in May. Yes the beach isn't as great as it is a few hundred yards south but we swam there many a day. The $1.00 Margs are not my favourite at all but I went through the really expensive $2.00 drink menu a few times. :eek:

Bonus is you can shop with the beach vendors, toes in sand- drink in hand or wander one block up to Bastilio Badillo for great vendor stand or store shopping. Huge bonus is that La Playa liquor store less then block on Olas Altas always has the best prices on Tequila and coffee liquers.

I guess my budget is safe since DW doesn't read CC and when we go to the Monkey, I hide the two dollar menu from her.:D:D

Hey Quincy I noticed the Cheeky had the same advertisments for the 1 & 2.00 specials not the same at all correct?

Beaches in Mexico are public, i.e., free. The resorts along the beach can maintain a private area down to the high water mark. From there they are public. The beach just south of the cruise pier is close, you can walk to it and, while it's not the greatest, it is close, you can get in the water, and there are plenty of resorts along there if you want to purchase a drink or snack. If you do a drink you can use their loungers and umbrella with no problem (at least, we've never had an issue). If you go, walk out the south gate of the cruise area and immediately turn right and walk down a sidewalk until you reach the water front. You can walk down the beach until you find an area to your liking. We like the Krystal's area (large palapa restaurant right along the beach). Have fun!!!

I love the idea of the Sea Monkey. That sounds like fun. I wonder if we could get a taxi to take us to see some sights and then have them drop us off at the Sea Monkey to finish up the day. Any ideas what to see?

Your plan will work !!! The best advice I can give you is to look through the tours the ship offers, and write down the stuff you are interested in, then find a taxi driver and ask him how much of it you can do, how long it will take, and how much he will charge you. Also, tell him you want to see what HE likes about his city !!! You may get some pleasant surprises !!!:D:D

I agree. I like the plan. Anyone been to the Tequila Factory? We could do it on our own. The ship has a Tequila Factory and old town tour for around $35. Not too bad, but we could probably do the Tequila Factory by taxi alot cheaper.

Ok great thanks for the info...Looking forward to 1 or both!!

Weird I answered your post but do not see it posted :(

Cheeky Monkey has great views of the water and Malecon, it does have a set of steep stairs, we have had drinks but have never eaten there, through the food did look good :)

Sea Monkey is beach front, toes in sand, drink in hand and offers great food and drink. Bonus points for being in the part of town we prefer :)

Weird I answered your post but do not see it posted :(

Cheeky Monkey has great views of the water and Malecon, it does have a set of steep stairs, we have had drinks but have never eaten there, through the food did look good :)

Sea Monkey is beach front, toes in sand, drink in hand and offers great food and drink. Bonus points for being in the part of town we prefer :)

Both sound great and I love the toes in the sand lol...

Anyone know how much a taxi might be from the cruise port to the Sea Monkey? Could we hang out there for a few hours and eat and drink while the kids play on the beach?

It is about 120 pesos from the cruise ship BUT walk the half block from the dock and get a yellow taxi, ask him how much it is and that it should be 120 pesos this tells him you are aware of the zone rates) but it should be about 120 pesos to the Southside which is across the bridge.

You could spend many a happy hour at the Sea Monkey (we certainly did a few times this past May) and saw many happy little ones playing in the sand and swimming with their parents in the surf.

Taxis in PV are in zones and it is 80 pesos from the cruise ship to the Malecon BUT crossing the bridge to the southside is another zone and I think it is an extra 40 pesos.

If we were bringing little ones on a cruise to PV this is certainly one stop we would do :)

I think we need to clarify something for cruise passengers who come to PV. The beach area in front of the Sea Monkey (which is located in the Vista del Sol building) is fine for lounging in the sun, but it is not safe for swimming. In fact, during the busy winter months they have life guards working on Los Muertos Beach who will often walk up towards that section of the beach and get any crazy swimmers out of the water. The problem is that the water in that area contains many rocks (from small to huge) which can be difficult to see until you get slammed into one! When we sun on that section of the beach (we live there 2 months a year) we always walk down the beach several hundred yards to near the pier (currently under reconstruction) where it is safe to swim. Actually, the best swimming area is on the other side of the pier (south side) where its a nice sandy bottom.

Hank

I think we need to clarify something for cruise passengers who come to PV. The beach area in front of the Sea Monkey (which is located in the Vista del Sol building) is fine for lounging in the sun, but it is not safe for swimming. In fact, during the busy winter months they have life guards working on Los Muertos Beach who will often walk up towards that section of the beach and get any crazy swimmers out of the water. The problem is that the water in that area contains many rocks (from small to huge) which can be difficult to see until you get slammed into one! When we sun on that section of the beach (we live there 2 months a year) we always walk down the beach several hundred yards to near the pier (currently under reconstruction) where it is safe to swim. Actually, the best swimming area is on the other side of the pier (south side) where its a nice sandy bottom.

Hank

Good to know, when we were there in May we swam in front as did many people BUT it is not like it is several hundred yards south.

I certainly did not mean to give false information and thank you for making us aware of the unsafety :)

Good to know, when we were there in May we swam in front as did many people BUT it is not like it is several hundred yards south.

I certainly did not mean to give false information and thank you for making us aware of the unsafety :)

Hey there, how's things? Looks like you are getting close to that Caribbean cruise! You must be getting excited:):)

The Sea Monkey sounds like a fun place to go.

Hey there, how's things? Looks like you are getting close to that Caribbean cruise! You must be getting excited:):)

The Sea Monkey sounds like a fun place to go.

Hey you :) Life has been stupid busy with work related travel so I so can not wait for vacation travel :) Your cruise is coming up this winter I think?

We are so excited about our next cruise.

Sea Monkey is a really cool hang out :0

I agree. I like the plan. Anyone been to the Tequila Factory? We could do it on our own. The ship has a Tequila Factory and old town tour for around $35. Not too bad, but we could probably do the Tequila Factory by taxi alot cheaper.

We did the Tequila Factory last year through the Cruise

ship. I though it was a great deal for 35.00. You get to visit

2 factories LOTS of taste : ).. DH and I loved it we

will do the same tour this Dec when we are in PV. It was alot

of fun and very interesting.. Tequila was GREAT. I loved the

flavored ones.. You cant go wrong for 35.00.

Have you checked on Taxi $$?

I have to say than you to the people who have posted in this forum. We have been trying to decide what to do in this port and I love the idea of hanging at one of the Monkeys.

PokrTom (Also known by my adult children and at work as "King of the Flying Monkeys"

We did the Tequila Factory last year through the Cruise

ship. I though it was a great deal for 35.00. You get to visit

2 factories LOTS of taste : ).. DH and I loved it we

will do the same tour this Dec when we are in PV. It was alot

of fun and very interesting.. Tequila was GREAT. I loved the

flavored ones.. You cant go wrong for 35.00.

Have you checked on Taxi $$?

I don't know what the cost of taxi would be. I wonder if anyone would know the cost to the Tequila Factory and then the Sea Monkey? The other issue is that there are 10 of us. I wonder if there are any vans that could fit us all?

I don't know what the cost of taxi would be. I wonder if anyone would know the cost to the Tequila Factory and then the Sea Monkey? The other issue is that there are 10 of us. I wonder if there are any vans that could fit us all?

You can probably find a van for ten people unless you are very late and they are all booked. Most of the time, you can work out a price with the driver per hour, or for a tour. They are usually flexible.

If you are adventurous, you can have the taxi or van drop you at the Monkey, then, when you are ready to leave, walk up the street a couple of blocks and catch a city bus back to the ship for a little over fifty cents per person ( six and a half pesos) Also, there are usually some yellow taxis nearby that will take you back to the ship for around six or seven dollars and they will take four adults.

Archived