Docking at Lyttelton or Akaroa?

Is that 2nd Red Bus service the only way of getting between Akaroa & Christchurch (other than booking a shore tour through RCI)?

$50 for a 90min ride each way, allowing only 3hrs in Chch, isn't overly appealing.

Could be a short day ashore here, if that's the case... Catch the tender across, wander around Akaroa taking photos of all the historic houses + the lighthouse, taste the delights of the Red Snail, then tender back to the ship for lunch.

There is absolutely no doubt that Akaroa will be the port for the Christchurch area this cruise season.

The cruise lines and the local tour operators are obviously sorting out all the logistics and it is best to keep an eye out for what offerings are available.

Here is an update from the www.akaroa.co web site:

I find it interesting that they are suggesting that people should book and pay once they get to the pier....hmmm..:rolleyes:

Red Bus.

2 Hour Akaroa Local Sightseeing Tour:

$50.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 11.00am.

Sightseeing tour specifically for cruise ship passengers. The tour will depart the wharf at 11 am (a stop will be made at the Visitor Centre). Duration: 2 hours. Highlights: Summit Road, Little River – Cafe and Gallery, Hill Top, Barry’s Bay Cheese

Book & pay directly at main wharf when you arrive in Akaroa.

<snip>

Cheers

thanks for this...and I noticed they've updated the the info again (extra 2pm departure of the above tour) and you can now book online...will probably pay to check regularly for updates...unless already booked :)

Is that 2nd Red Bus service the only way of getting between Akaroa & Christchurch (other than booking a shore tour through RCI)?

$50 for a 90min ride each way, allowing only 3hrs in Chch, isn't overly appealing.

Could be a short day ashore here, if that's the case... Catch the tender across, wander around Akaroa taking photos of all the historic houses + the lighthouse, taste the delights of the Red Snail, then tender back to the ship for lunch.

3 hours in Christchurch is all you'd need even if it wasn't still severely impacted by the major earthquake that destroyed much of the city earlier in the year. I think you need more realistic expectations of a region that's trying very hard to rebuild not only for any tourists but also for its own residents.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been reading up on Akaroa in the Lonely Planet guide. It seems like a pleasant little village, which is supported by everything I've read here (and elsewhere online). I wouldn't mind checking out the cheese factory at Barry's Bay and doing a walk around the village, checking out the French influence.. But I can't see these activities going close to filling the day.

I'm hoping that Royal Caribbean will hire a fleet of buses to transport the passengers to/from Chch, albeit at nominal cost (around US$20 return). I'd be annoyed if the only way of getting into town is on one of their tours.

Hi

I live near Akaroa & I can assure you if you want to you can fill more than one day very easily. I hope some of my comments answer your questions.

1. shuttle. The town is only about 1km (.6 mi) from one end to the other so walking is not an arduous task on the flat waterfront. There is a small shuttle bus available to take people from one end to the other, no charge.

2. If you want some strenuous exercise you can head upwards on the streets or through several bush walks. Info available at the visitor centre or on http://www.akaroa.com

3. Things to see in the town: The Giants house mosaic garden, art galleries, shops, local museum, historic guided (or self guided with audio) walks

4. Things to do On the water: a variety of wildlife (dolphins, seals, penguins, birds) viewing cruises, sailing, historic launch or large modern boat. Swim with dolphins, jet boating. Kayaking.

5. On land. Motorbike & sidecar tours of the town or the wider area, a fleet of buses & shuttles to take people away if they really want to go to the city, a variety of taxis to do the same, hire bicycles, walks. Penguin colony tours.

6. Surrounding area: Okains Bay Museum, Barrys Bay Cheese factory, Shamara Alpaca Farm tours, Paua Bay farm tours...

There is so much to see & do locally & if you want to go to the city there are loads of options. It is an 80km trip each way taking about 75 mins+ each way over a steep & winding road which is in itself very scenic.

The comment we hear most often is that if people knew how lovely it was they would have stayed longer. It's one of the best kept secret destinations in NZ. The locals have gone out of their way to be welcoming with volunteer roving ambassadors handing out town maps & answering questions for the first 3 hours or so of each cruise ship day. There is a temporary info centre on the wharf & the main info centre in the centre of town.

After you have been I'd love to hear if you were pleased or disappointed that you didn't berth in Lyttleton.

FYI we are expecting 80+ ships in Akaroa this season. As you will appreciate for a small resort of only 800 population welcoming at most 10 or so ships in past years this is a big challenge for us. However if comments to local operators are indicative most people are pleased they came on shore & had a good day.

cheers

I recieved an email from T/A yesterday on behalf of Royal Caribbean saying all Radiance of the Seas Itenararies that were calling at Christchurch will now be calling at Akaroa. We are on Radiance round Australia 19th Feb 2012 and are more than happy to visit Akaroa as we have not been there on our last 2 visits to NZ , as much as we enjoyed Christchurch on our visits it will be nice to see another part of this country and am thankful that we do not have to see the destruction done to the once beautiful Christchurch ,as much as I know the tourist dollar is needed to help the city I would not feel right going around looking at all the devastation and would also feel uneasy with the continuing tremors.Robin:)

Hi Robin

Thank you for your sensitivity. I am sure you will love Akaroa. Most people don't realise that it is actually a suburb of Christchurch albeit 80km from the city centre. Akaroa & Banks Peninsula are administered by the Christchurch City Council so your tourist $ will still be spent in Christchurch & most welcome :)

I have frequently heard Akaroa described as one of the most beautiful places in the world. There is lots to do & I'm sure you will love it.

As for tremors it is settling down but like Japan these are shaky islands. While the rest of world has other challenges that is ours :)

Hi

I live near Akaroa & I can assure you if you want to you can fill more than one day very easily. I hope some of my comments answer your questions.

6. Surrounding area: Okains Bay Museum, Barrys Bay Cheese factory, Shamara Alpaca Farm tours, Paua Bay farm tours...

Thank you so much for your detailed comments on what to do during a visit to Akaroa.

Everything I have read on Akaroa says what a beautiful place it is and I know some people on ships do day trips there from Christchurch city.

I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions for me -

How far is it to Barrys Bay Cheese Factory and how you would get there from the wharf?

As I'm really looking forward to seeing local parks and gardens in NZ, can you please advise whether there are independent walking tours around Akaroa which showcase its gardens.

Is it hilly around the town, once you get away from the wharf/town area?

Hi MrsWhiskers. Thank you for your detailed list. :) We will soon be visiting Akaroa for the 3rd time and looking forward to it. It is indeed a beautiful place. Having done the Historical Walking Tour, and the Harbour trip, we were wondering what to see this time - it will be hard making a choice. (I am just sad that we have never seen Christchurch as I believe it was a very beautiful city. Hopefully, it will be again.)

Dear mrswhiskers,

We are looking forward to seeing beautiful Akaroa again, this time from a cruise ship, in early January. I have been wondering about the impact of such large numbers of cruise passengers (including us ) on such a relatively small settlement.

Thank you to the locals for stepping up and taking this challenge and inviting us to your home town.

regards, Ann

I've looked at Akaroa using Google Earth and it looks like a beautiful area. We've booked a boat sightseeing trip through the cruise line but should have time to just stroll around the town too.

It is so nice and just like a post card , been there a few times.

Thank you so much for your detailed comments on what to do during a visit to Akaroa.

Everything I have read on Akaroa says what a beautiful place it is and I know some people on ships do day trips there from Christchurch city.

I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions for me -

How far is it to Barrys Bay Cheese Factory and how you would get there from the wharf?

As I'm really looking forward to seeing local parks and gardens in NZ, can you please advise whether there are independent walking tours around Akaroa which showcase its gardens.

Is it hilly around the town, once you get away from the wharf/town area?

Hello & welcome

Hilly & steep: if you look on a map you will see Rue Grehan at the north end of town...it's a gentle slope, all round the waterfront is flat, Rue Balguerie is another gentle slope, Smith St, Rue Benoit, Watson St & Muter St are a steep. Rue Jolie is mostly flat & rises up gently to Garden of Tane & hospital.

A couple of options for Barrys Bay which is about 20mins from Akaroa: several of the bus companies are doing tours with smaller vans that include Barrys Bay cheese factory & the Hilltop, these are at the end of the wharf & info on the visitor centre wall at the wharf or there is a motorbike & sidecar tour called A Classic Ride which is lots of fun & can go anywhere you like for as long as you like. You can pre book or find him at the end of the main wharf on the taxi stand. If he's away the board will be up with a return time.

There are several gardens...I think Potters Croft is open (small charge & info at the visitor centre) & many others you can see from a walk around the street. I recommend the Giants House as well...you can get the free shuttle bus to drop you up there...it is a bit steep but not far.

The Garden of Tane is a bit of a misnomer at the moment as it is more a bush reserve & is still a lovely walk. There are lots of tracks through it & one comes out near the lighthouse & you can walk back down the road along the waterfront or carry on through the old cemetery. Just ask one of the ambassadors at the wharf. A Classic Ride does a 1/2 hr tour which goes up Lighthouse Rd (very steep) for a photo stop overlooking town, down past the Garden of Tane to Onuku Marae where the wee church is lovely, & back for a circuit of town. He's quite happy to change the route to take in something you haven't seen & could drop you at the garden, the Giants House or above the Garden of Tane so you can walk down.

There is a garden well out of town...Fishermans Bay...sorry I can't help with how to get there but if you contact them they will be able to tell you. http://www.gardenstovisit.co.nz/garden.aspx?gardenid=174 this might help :) Have a lovely time :)

Hi MrsWhiskers. Thank you for your detailed list. :) We will soon be visiting Akaroa for the 3rd time and looking forward to it. It is indeed a beautiful place. Having done the Historical Walking Tour, and the Harbour trip, we were wondering what to see this time - it will be hard making a choice. (I am just sad that we have never seen Christchurch as I believe it was a very beautiful city. Hopefully, it will be again.)

Yes we hope ChCh will again be beautiful however the city we knew & loved has largely gone.

Have you been to the Akaroa museum?

The Pohatu penguin tour or A Classic Ride motorbike & sidecar tour are excellent. The alpaca farm tour, the Giants House...all good & you can fit in several of these options. Have fun!

There is absolutely no doubt that Akaroa will be the port for the Christchurch area this cruise season.

The cruise lines and the local tour operators are obviously sorting out all the logistics and it is best to keep an eye out for what offerings are available.

Here is an update from the www.akaroa.co web site:

I find it interesting that they are suggesting that people should book and pay once they get to the pier....hmmm..:rolleyes:

Akaroa Transport

Brief Description

On cuise ship days there will be a number of special transport services available to service the passengers. Please go to more information below to find out about the specific services available.

Detailed Information

Direct to Transport Page:

http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/220

Tours available for cruise ship passengers:

Cityline.

Christchurch & Banks Peninsula Tour:

$80.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 10.30am. All day tour.

Travel to Little River, Gebbies Pass, Sign of the Kiwi, Botanic Gardens, Riccarton Mall.

Departing Akaroa at 10.30am, returning into Akaroa at 4.30pm.

Cityline.

2 Hour Local Sightseeing Tour:

$40.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 11.30am.

Travel by luxury coach for panoramic views of the Akaroa Harbour and the local bays including Duvauchelle, Barry’s Bay, Robinsons Bay and Takamatua. We visit the Barry's Bay Cheese Factory where you can sample some award winning cheeses. Then we make our way up to the Historic Hill Top Tavern with more photo opportunities and refreshments. Learn Akaroa’s local history and how the Akaroa harbour and surrounding Banks Peninsula were home to 3 extinct volcanoes with informative commentary from your driver.

Red Bus.

2 Hour Akaroa Local Sightseeing Tour:

$50.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 11.00am.

Sightseeing tour specifically for cruise ship passengers. The tour will depart the wharf at 11 am (a stop will be made at the Visitor Centre). Duration: 2 hours. Highlights: Summit Road, Little River – Cafe and Gallery, Hill Top, Barry’s Bay Cheese

Red Bus.

Normal Akaroa to Christchurch Shuttle Service:

$ 50.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 10.30am.

Sightseeing

Shuttle Service departs Akaroa at 10.30 am and returns from Christchurch on the 3 pm service. This gets into Akaroa at 4.30pm. Book & pay directly at main wharf when you arrive in Akaroa or at the Akaroa Visitor Centre on arrival in Akaroa.

Akaroa Tours & Taxi:

Follow the link for more information.

http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/398/menuid/6/tempidx/220/link/1

Discovery Travel:

Cruise ship charters are available while you are docked in Akaroa. We can take you into Christchurch City, visit the International Antactic Centre, or view New Zealand's national icon, 'The Kiwi' at Willowbank Wildlife Reserve, or wander through the Botanic Gardens and visit Canterbury Museum, or go shopping. We include a brief Christchurch City sightseeing tour. We will work with you to arrange a suitable itinerary. From Akaroa we travel via Little River, Gebbies Pass, Lyttelton Harbour and up and over Christchurch's Port Hills for views over the Canterbury Plains and up to the Southern Alps, over Christchurch City. We will have you back in Akaroa in time for your tender, back to your ship. Tel +64 3 3578 262 Email: info@discoverytravel.co.nz Website: www.discoverytravel.co.nz

Taxi Service:

Goldband Taxi company will be operating all day services. Talk to the driver about prices.

Rental Cars:

Sorry, there are no rental cars available in Akaroa.

Cheers

Here is a link to the cruise ship schedule on our local council website.http://www.ccc.govt.nz/visiting/cruiseshipvisits.aspx

Folks can check their ship & see where they are going.

Not sure why rolly eyes about book & pay on wharf? The number of options available through the cruise lines is very limited (a very difficult & expensive process for small & not so small local operators to get involved in too apparently) so lots line up at the wharf & once they are full they are full. If you want to guarantee a seat you can always book with them online I guess or through the cruise co. I know some you can book online.

Have a great time.

MrsWhiskers, thank you for taking the time to put up all of this invaluable info (you too Flipper). I have been googling all morning!!! Just one question, please - I probably missed the info - but can you catch the shuttle bus to the Visitors Centre from the pier, or does it leave from a different spot? :confused:

Hello & welcome

Hilly & steep: if you look on a map you will see Rue Grehan at the north end of town...it's a gentle slope, all round the waterfront is flat, Rue Balguerie is another gentle slope, Smith St, Rue Benoit, Watson St & Muter St are a steep. Rue Jolie is mostly flat & rises up gently to Garden of Tane & hospital.

A couple of options for Barrys Bay which is about 20mins from Akaroa: several of the bus companies are doing tours with smaller vans that include Barrys Bay cheese factory & the Hilltop, these are at the end of the wharf & info on the visitor centre wall at the wharf or there is a motorbike & sidecar tour called A Classic Ride which is lots of fun & can go anywhere you like for as long as you like. You can pre book or find him at the end of the main wharf on the taxi stand. If he's away the board will be up with a return time.

There are several gardens...I think Potters Croft is open (small charge & info at the visitor centre) & many others you can see from a walk around the street. I recommend the Giants House as well...you can get the free shuttle bus to drop you up there...it is a bit steep but not far.

The Garden of Tane is a bit of a misnomer at the moment as it is more a bush reserve & is still a lovely walk. There are lots of tracks through it & one comes out near the lighthouse & you can walk back down the road along the waterfront or carry on through the old cemetery. Just ask one of the ambassadors at the wharf. A Classic Ride does a 1/2 hr tour which goes up Lighthouse Rd (very steep) for a photo stop overlooking town, down past the Garden of Tane to Onuku Marae where the wee church is lovely, & back for a circuit of town. He's quite happy to change the route to take in something you haven't seen & could drop you at the garden, the Giants House or above the Garden of Tane so you can walk down.

There is a garden well out of town...Fishermans Bay...sorry I can't help with how to get there but if you contact them they will be able to tell you. http://www.gardenstovisit.co.nz/garden.aspx?gardenid=174 this might help :) Have a lovely time :)

Thank you so much for your detailed response, which is much appreciated. I have been researching library books and the internet, but you can't beat local knowledge, especially since this is a new cruise ship destination.

I was pleased to hear that Akaroa is administered by Christchurch City Council so tourist $s remain in the region.

Not sure why rolly eyes about book & pay on wharf? The number of options available through the cruise lines is very limited (a very difficult & expensive process for small & not so small local operators to get involved in too apparently) so lots line up at the wharf & once they are full they are full. If you want to guarantee a seat you can always book with them online I guess or through the cruise co. I know some you can book online.

Have a great time.

I suppose that was my point. Given that you can actually prebook the various tours direct via the Info Site, (as I have done) it makes little sense to risk missing out by waiting until you got ashore. I am sure the local operators will do an outstanding job, but as you say, once the bus is full it is full...no standing room!

We are very much looking forward to visiting this wonderful part of the world.

cheers

Archived