Question

mommypenguin29

Hi everyone... I have a quick question that I am hoping someone may know... Me and my dh are taking an anniversary cruise leaving 9/10 for 5 nights without the kids. My parents will be watching them...my question is, do I need to getsomething notarized in case they need medical care while we are gone? Someone at work recommended me right a note and getting it notarized saying that my parents can get the kids medical care if something were to happen while we are away... I figured the family board may be the best place to get this one answered:)

Thanks!

I would definitely leave them with documentation authorizing them to care for your children as well as copies of all insurance cards. Here is the form my husband and I use each year:

CHILD CARE AUTHORIZATION

Robert Xxx and Cindy Xxx, the parents or guardians of the below described minors, and legally entitled to give this authorization, grant Judith Yyy temporary authority, limited to the below defined powers, over the following children:

Allison Xxx and Robert Xxx

The powers granted to Judith Yyy are limited to the following:

- To seek medical care for the children, including, but not limited to, visits to the doctor and/or hospital.

- To authorize medical treatment or medical procedures in the event of an emergency situation.

- To provide food and shelter for the above named children, and to make decisions regarding their day-to-day activities.

- To transport the children in the caregiver's car, including authorization to pick the children up from school or daycare.

This grant of authority is effective as of 12/7/2008, and shall remain in effect until 12/14/2008.

This grant of authority is signed this _____ day of ________________, 2008, in the County of Zzz, State of Maryland.

Robert Xxx

Cindy Xxx

I would definitely leave them with documentation authorizing them to care for your children as well as copies of all insurance cards. Here is the form my husband and I use each year:

CHILD CARE AUTHORIZATION

Robert Xxx and Cindy Xxx, the parents or guardians of the below described minors, and legally entitled to give this authorization, grant Judith Yyy temporary authority, limited to the below defined powers, over the following children:

Allison Xxx and Robert Xxx

The powers granted to Judith Yyy are limited to the following:

- To seek medical care for the children, including, but not limited to, visits to the doctor and/or hospital.

- To authorize medical treatment or medical procedures in the event of an emergency situation.

- To provide food and shelter for the above named children, and to make decisions regarding their day-to-day activities.

- To transport the children in the caregiver's car, including authorization to pick the children up from school or daycare.

This grant of authority is effective as of 12/7/2008, and shall remain in effect until 12/14/2008.

This grant of authority is signed this _____ day of ________________, 2008, in the County of Zzz, State of Maryland.

Robert Xxx

Cindy Xxx

Thank you, does it need to be notarized?

You really don't need it notarized...but do make sure you leave all the insurance cards/info, etc...with the caregiver. In case of emergency, you CAN be contacted...and if something (God forbid) is life-threatening, they will treat them without your permission, anyway.

Yep, that would be the paper. It's up to you to have it notarized but it couldn't hurt.

ALSO, when my friends travel with us and leave the kids behind, I instruct them to give the gparents a list of all medications in the house with the dosage amounts for EACH child.

So for instance, your list would look like this...

CHILDREN's TYLENOL - Suspension Liquid - For fevers, pain, headaches

Michael - Every 4-6 hours As Needed - 1 tsp

Beth - Every 4-6 hours As Needed - 2 tsp

CHILDREN'S MOTRIN - Suspension Liquid - Fevers, Pain, Headaches

Michael - Every 6-8 hours As Needed - 1 tsp

Beth - Every 6-8 hours As Needed - 2 tsp

CHILDREN'S BENDRYL - Liquid - Sneezing, Snuffy Nose, Congestion, Allergy or Cold Related

Michael - Every 4-6 hours As Needed - 3/4th of a tsp

Beth - Every 4-6 hours As Needed - 1 and 1/4 tsp

In addition to the above but because I like to cover all my bases I also have my kids give me a photo copy of their passports showing their information along with the signatures so that there can be no dispute that the person who signed the notarized letter is who they say they are. Overkill, I know, but I take my very young grandkids international and I don't want to be stuck at some border (or hospital) and have them say... but how do we know the signatures are valid.

In an emergency, a hospital will treat your kids with or without a permission form from you. If your kids will be staying in your home town you could always just check with the Pediatrician's office to see if they will require anything in order for the grandparents to bring the kids in should they need to be seen.

This whole concept seems foreign to me. Our pediatrician is part of a group with about 10 or so doctors. They couldn't care less who brings our children in for care. My sister, mom etc. have all taken our children in at various times and have never once been questioned. I have full faith that their doctor would never deny them care (emergency or not) no matter who brought them to the office. I guess from the responses here, we are in the minority and live dangerously.

We always make sure to leave an insurance card before we leave and that about covers it. My wife and I typically travel during the winter without the kids for our anniversary, so inevitably one of our kids will need to go to the doctor while we are gone :rolleyes:.

We do update our wills periodically and make sure that whoever watches our girls while we are gone know where to find them. They contain our instructions on who is to care of our children etc. should the worst happen.

This whole concept seems foreign to me.

Yeah I do see your point. ;) Its kind of like when your send your kids off to a school sponsored sport and you have to sign your life away saying that you agree to give them medical authorization to transport your child in case of an emergency and make medical decisions on your behalf if you can't be reached. Same thing. It's all overkill. :)

The replies above have addressed your question, but all I can add is that some states have a specific form, often with statutory requirements/provisions, that you should use. It's usually called a power of attorney for child care or power of attorney for care of a minor. It usually is notarized. But I'd start by googling the foregoing terms with the name of your state to see if something pops up, there are often free sources of state-specific forms from your local bar association or state government agencies.

I also agree to leave a copy of the health insurance card, identify who is the primary policyholder and leave that person's DOB and SSN for filling out medical paperwork. And have a list of each child's allergies, medical conditions, any daily medications, and dosing instructions for common OTC pain or allergy meds.

That's a good question: since one parent can authorize medical care in another situation, perhaps only one would be necessary. I wouldn't bank on it, but legally, who knows? In the vein of "better safe than sorry" probably not worth the risk.

Note that the notary will not notarize a form with 2 signatures (or 2 signature spaces) unless both individuals are present to sign and prove their identity. If you want to try to use the form below with a single parent, then you need to remove the second signature space. It's possible they could/would just cross out the empty signature space, but they may refuse entirely.

If you really have an issue getting there at the same time, you should probably each do a form and get it notarized individually. Again, just to be safe.

And of course, don't sign it until you get there. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived