Why should I upgrade to a mini?

BalconyGal

Hi all,

I am currently booked in a lovely midship Caribe balcony, however the AE mini's are only $40 more. I'm sorely tempted to upgrade, but why should I? I know the only real amenities are a larger cabin and bathroom. Does anyone have any thoughts either way? What would you do?

For me, depending on the location, it would probably be worth the $40. A lot of regular balconies do not have a couch (only an armchair) & a mini does and a balcony does not have a bathtub and a mini does. I prefer the bathtub as it gives you more elbow room. Having said all that, I am still perfectly happy in a balcony.

Depends on location. Your location right now is pretty good. Have you had a mini before? The extra bathroom space is a plus.:D And then of course the fabulous and famous welcome glass of champagne.:rolleyes:

For $40 pp why not? Or you could have a couple bottles of wine (really good wine):p

I am guessing the AE you are considering is a guarantee booking? (normally that is what the AE's are). You could end up anywhere in the mini suite range when booking these, you never know until it is assigned. Anywhere from the actual AE (which is rare) to an AA mini suite.

I would vote NO! It will cost you too much in the long run.

On our first cruise (and what I thought would be our only cruise) I booked a mini-suite. Eight cruises, and eight mini suites later......and none of them were only $40 more :-)

We had an aft facing corner balcony cabin on our last cruise and loved it (because of the location) and have the same cabin booked on our next 3 cruises. But we miss the extra space of the mini suite - and for me (because I get tired easy) I miss the couch to relax in.

Seriously - for $40 - go for it!

For me, depending on the location, it would probably be worth the $40. A lot of regular balconies do not have a couch (only an armchair) & a mini does and a balcony does not have a bathtub and a mini does. I prefer the bathtub as it gives you more elbow room. Having said all that, I am still perfectly happy in a balcony.
Just for clarification, I don't know of any Princess regular balcony cabins (other than on the Ocean or Pacific) that have a couch. What ship did you see one on? I find myself learning something new every day. :)

For $40, I'd take the mini-suite. I was upgraded at the last minute a year ago from a BD balcony cabin to an AA mini-suite. I don't really like being forward or mid-ship but I accepted the upgrade. I still didn't particularly like the location (by the mid-ship elevators) but the extra room was great and I totally appreciated and used it. We had a number of rainy and/or cold days so all the public areas inside were crowded. I could retreat to my mini-suite, which I did on numerous occasions.

Not a lot; all. No balcony cabin has a sofa other than on the Pacific and the Ocean.

You might also want to think about your itinerary.

I had a lovely mini suite on Dolphin for Alaska, and it was great. However, the balconies are totally exposed.

I am off to Tahiti in October and have opted for a Caribe balcony cabin. Why? Because the balcony is half covered. I don't do sitting in the sun - to say I am fair skinned would be an understatement:D- and this means I can sit out on my balcony in comfort.

The space in the mini is great, but just wanted to add another perspective.

Have a great trip whatever you decide:)

You got a lot more room, shelf space, sofa and full size bath for $40. That is less than $6 a day on a 7 night cruise for a lot more room. I vote for the mini. We have cruised 3 times in a mini, twice with a regular balcony, one was the famous C753. We still would take a mini over the aft balcony.

Just wish Princess would upgrade me to full suite so I can get DH hooke don those! :D

Thanks everyone. I took the plunge and we'll see where I end up. :D

Now, how do I stop myself from checking princess dot com everyday to see if I've been assigned!?

Who says you have to stop?! Every time I've had a guarantee, that's been part of the fun -- logging into that Personalizer and feeling my pulse quicken as my eyeball scrolls down to where it says "Cabin . . ."!

I believe the AE mini's do NOT have a balcony:(

Those are actually AFs, not AEs. And, as said already, only exist on the Coral and Island. I would like to point out, however, that they are fantastic rooms, even bigger than the regular minisuites, and very convenient to the Caribe forward viewing deck. I didn't miss the balcony at all, but then I've only ever booked a balcony cabin once, so I may not be in the mainstream of opinion re balcony v. no balcony!

For that price to upgrade, it would be a definite YES YES YES for us.:)

For me too! For $40 I don't think I would even mind a very far forward mini. I happen to love the extra room in the mini suites and I have never minded the exposed balconies on Dolphin deck.

Just noticed you took the guarantee. Awesome! I can't imagine that you wouldn't just love that mini. I had never booked a mini but back in 2008 I had an Aloha deck balcony - aft and I received an upgrade to a minisuite. I loved it. I've sailed in a couple since then. I can't always justify the price but when I can - I do.

Enjoy your cruise and that minisuite.

Archived