Does RCCL ever have reduced deposit sales?

monicajay

I am considering booking a 14 night cruise for November of 2012. According to the RCCL web-site the deposit will be $900.00 per person. This seems a lot of money to lay-out this far in advance. Does RCCL ever have any sales where the deposit is reduced?

I have only cruised once before on this line on the Rhapsody.

I am considering booking a 14 night cruise for November of 2012. According to the RCCL web-site the deposit will be $900.00 per person. This seems a lot of money to lay-out this far in advance. Does RCCL ever have any sales where the deposit is reduced?

Yes. Usually twice a year. They're generally on for only 1 or 2 days. They call them a "WOW Sale" ... deposits are 50% of standard (therefore vary by voyage duration) and they usually include on board credits as well. The next one should be sometime this fall. Your agent should get 1 to 2 days notice of the sale; let them know you want to be contacted when it comes up.

With all that said, there's no way to predict whether prices will remain stable (not increase) until their next WOW Sale, so that's the risk you take in deferring making reservations as only a deposit will secure any current fare.

This will probably not help you but if you book a future cruise while aboard, the down payment is reduced (among other benefits). We only had to put $100 @ down vs. $250 @ for our upcoming Med cruise.

Thanks, I had read about this but don't want to take a cruise now so I can book another one later.

Yes. Usually twice a year. They're generally on for only 1 or 2 days. They call them a "WOW Sale" ... deposits are 50% of standard (therefore vary by voyage duration) and they usually include on board credits as well. The next one should be sometime this fall. Your agent should get 1 to 2 days notice of the sale; let them know you want to be contacted when it comes up.

With all that said, there's no way to predict whether prices will remain stable (not increase) until their next WOW Sale, so that's the risk you take in deferring making reservations as only a deposit will secure any current fare.

I will watch for a "Wow Sale". Hopefully it will get posted on these boards when someone expects else gets notice as I do not plan on using an agent. I was a TA for 10 years and had to leave the business when the internet started to take over in 1998. I am happy booking direct and sometimes transfer my file just before final payment when it is worth my while.

I will watch for a "Wow Sale". Hopefully it will get posted on these boards when someone expects else gets notice as I do not plan on using an agent. I was a TA for 10 years and had to leave the business when the internet started to take over in 1998. I am happy booking direct and sometimes transfer my file just before final payment when it is worth my while.

Oh, it will get posted, and posted and posted. No worries there. :D

Fascinating... FYI with Royal Caribbean you can only transfer a booking to an agent within 60 days of creation, so unless you're booking something less than 2 months before final payment, waiting 'til then won't work out for you.

Fascinating... FYI with Royal Caribbean you can only transfer a booking to an agent within 60 days of creation, so unless you're booking something less than 2 months before final payment, waiting 'til then won't work out for you.

Thanks for the heads up. This must be new as I transferred my booking on the Rhapsody about 7 days prior to final payment.

Speaking only for myself, I really don't care how much the deposit is -- I only care about the total price. A smaller deposit just means a larger balance to pay later. It's refundable almost 'til your cruise date, and none of us are getting much of anything in the way of interest on our savings accounts anyway.

Just my thoughts on it. Now, total price -- that I'm willing to check every day in hope of a price drop!

Speaking only for myself, I really don't care how much the deposit is -- I only care about the total price. A smaller deposit just means a larger balance to pay later. It's refundable almost 'til your cruise date, and none of us are getting much of anything in the way of interest on our savings accounts anyway.

Just my thoughts on it. Now, total price -- that I'm willing to check every day in hope of a price drop!

For me it is not a question of being refundable or not. I just don't have the $1800.00 today to plunk down more than 14 months in advance. I'll keep watching for a sale.

You said you didn't want to use a TA, BUT...there is one online TA right now with a labor day sale that was extended until Tuesday that is offering reduced deposits. Of course, I can't tell you which one it is, if you wanted to know. You have to sign up for their email list, I think. Then, after you book it, you have to call them on Tuesday before they close to get the added benefits of reduced deposit & OBC. They do advertise on this site from time to time, cru something.

I don't usually use a TA either. That far out in particular...if rates drop THIS agency will reduce if you call, but most of them charge a fee which makes it not worthwhile AND you can't go in & make changes to your reservation through RCI's site. For me, I like more control of my reservation. I booked through a TA last minute recently & it is driving me nuts that although I got $160 OBC & a rate I couldn't get anywhere else (899pp balcony on Allure...everyone else has $1149)...the agent put us in beds apart. ARRGH! My husband is going to freak until the room steward fixes it. But, to send him an email & tell him to change it would cost a $50 change fee! Outrageous.

ANYWAY, there are AGENCIES that offer reduced deposit sales from time to time & getting on their email lists is pretty much the best way to find out. I have 4 lists I'm on. None of them the major travel suppliers, all are cruise specific. SUITES are usually exempted from reduced deposits, though.

Just look for when they start to raise prices...a sure sign that a sale is coming;):rolleyes:

In all honesty Royal's sales are pretty much fluff...either they raise the price just prior or their are so many restrictions and can't be combined that they are useless for any other than first time cruisers.

You said you didn't want to use a TA, BUT...there is one online TA right now with a labor day sale that was extended until Tuesday that is offering reduced deposits. Of course, I can't tell you which one it is, if you wanted to know. You have to sign up for their email list, I think. Then, after you book it, you have to call them on Tuesday before they close to get the added benefits of reduced deposit & OBC. They do advertise on this site from time to time, cru something.

I don't usually use a TA either. That far out in particular...if rates drop THIS agency will reduce if you call, but most of them charge a fee which makes it not worthwhile AND you can't go in & make changes to your reservation through RCI's site. For me, I like more control of my reservation. I booked through a TA last minute recently & it is driving me nuts that although I got $160 OBC & a rate I couldn't get anywhere else (899pp balcony on Allure...everyone else has $1149)...the agent put us in beds apart. ARRGH! My husband is going to freak until the room steward fixes it. But, to send him an email & tell him to change it would cost a $50 change fee! Outrageous.

ANYWAY, there are AGENCIES that offer reduced deposit sales from time to time & getting on their email lists is pretty much the best way to find out. I have 4 lists I'm on. None of them the major travel suppliers, all are cruise specific. SUITES are usually exempted from reduced deposits, though.

I believe the agency you are talking about is Cru Con and they advertise right here on Cruise Critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

For me it is not a question of being refundable or not. I just don't have the $1800.00 today to plunk down more than 14 months in advance. I'll keep watching for a sale.

Unless it is a suite, the deposit should be $900 total rather than per person. Any suite is double so you may find that some of the reduced deposits won't apply.

Unless it is a suite, the deposit should be $900 total rather than per person. Any suite is double so you may find that some of the reduced deposits won't apply.

You are correct...Grand Suites and above require double the standard deposit...I don't know of any reduced deposit sales that ever apply to suites.

Read the fine print. Many of these "special offers" get pulled once you tell them you qualify for C&A discounts.

I agree a reduced deposit is not a SALE. At money earning less than 1% it really doesn't make a difference, to me anyway, how much the deposit is.

If you can't afford the deposit today, how will you pay for the deposit and cruise in the future? I don't book a cruise that I can't pay for right now. To me that's solid, simple economics. Unlike the government that kicks the can down the road and spends tomorrow's money today.

If you can't afford the deposit today, how will you pay for the deposit and cruise in the future? I don't book a cruise that I can't pay for right now. To me that's solid, simple economics. Unlike the government that kicks the can down the road and spends tomorrow's money today.

I have to answer this because it seems you are saying "if you don't have the money NOW you can't afford to cruise". In my situation I have a family of 5 which means a $2,000 deposit (for a suite). I do not have 2,000 NOW but easily have $1000.00. I want to book as soon as a 1/2 deposit sale comes available to get the best choices of rooms (RCCL does include suites in their WOW sale). I will book for a year out and easily have a few hundred each week to pay but no way do I have 6400.00 to pay for the entire cruise. Just because I want a good room choice, does this mean I shouldn't cruise because I don't have almost $7,000 to pay full?? I also understand interest is low now BUT what if I need some of that for an emergency within the next year?? I always pay deposit and pay off over time and always pay early, this doesn't mean I can't afford to cruise! This is nothing like the government because cruise lines don't charge interest to make payments, which is why I also refuse to pay upfront using a credit card :rolleyes: I am glad you can pay your cruises up front, good for you, but don't judge the rest of us who decide to use our money in other ways.

A little harsh don't you think?

I have two kids starting college this fall. I have final payment on my March cruise to make in Dec. and then of course Christmas. I just booked (and paid for) a non-cruise vacation for Easter.

I am looking at something in NOVEMBER of 2012. If I can do a smaller deposit I will book it now, if not, I will wait and book it latter. And if it is no longer available I will book something else. Easy!

This has nothing to do with whether or not I can afford to take the cruise. Of course I can afford to take the cruise or I wouldn't be looking at booking it.

I have never taken a trip that wasn't 100% paid for prior to leaving. And, I pay my full balance on my credit card every month. What we are talking about here is how much cash will be going out now.

The sale on now seems not to include these dates.

Ouch. That's not exactly what I meant to say. I guess I was responding to and agreeing with MrsPete in meaning that I'm looking at the overall cruise fare. The fact that the deposit is 50% less does not influence me in choosing my future cruise.

Also, aside from locking in your cabin and cruise date, history indicates that some fares drop as the cruise date approaches. I've booked up 8 months in advance and have to personally chase the fare reductions. In one case it was $600, a recent case $230. That's my penalty for booking far in advance.

Ouch. That's not exactly what I meant to say. I guess I was responding to and agreeing with MrsPete in meaning that I'm looking at the overall cruise fare. The fact that the deposit is 50% less does not influence me in choosing my future cruise.

Also, aside from locking in your cabin and cruise date, history indicates that some fares drop as the cruise date approaches. I've booked up 8 months in advance and have to personally chase the fare reductions. In one case it was $600, a recent case $230. That's my penalty for booking far in advance.

How is it a penalty?... Getting everything you want locked in 8 months in advance (cabin, dining time, ability to confirm excursions etc.) and then being able to have your final payment reduced due to a qualifying fare reduction is a benefit (not to be expected, but certainly appreciated when it happens; as it doesn't always happen).

I have to answer this because it seems you are saying "if you don't have the money NOW you can't afford to cruise". In my situation I have a family of 5 which means a $2,000 deposit (for a suite). I do not have 2,000 NOW but easily have $1000.00. I want to book as soon as a 1/2 deposit sale comes available to get the best choices of rooms (RCCL does include suites in their WOW sale). I will book for a year out and easily have a few hundred each week to pay but no way do I have 6400.00 to pay for the entire cruise. Just because I want a good room choice, does this mean I shouldn't cruise because I don't have almost $7,000 to pay full?? I also understand interest is low now BUT what if I need some of that for an emergency within the next year?? I always pay deposit and pay off over time and always pay early, this doesn't mean I can't afford to cruise! This is nothing like the government because cruise lines don't charge interest to make payments, which is why I also refuse to pay upfront using a credit card :rolleyes: I am glad you can pay your cruises up front, good for you, but don't judge the rest of us who decide to use our money in other ways.

You may have missed my previous response....half price or reduced deposit sales DO NOT ever included suites....suites always require 200% of the standard deposit.

I have to answer this because it seems you are saying "if you don't have the money NOW you can't afford to cruise". In my situation I have a family of 5 which means a $2,000 deposit (for a suite). I do not have 2,000 NOW but easily have $1000.00.

ways.

I was searching for a kind way to say essentially the same thing: if you cannot come up with the full deposit now, is it realistic that you'll be able to pay the balance? The deposit isn't all that much, and hard on the heels on the balance come tips and excursions. If you can save the balance easily enough, why not save it now and then make the reservation?

I agree with your assessment about being able to pay the 1000 vs 2000. It's an indication that you can afford the room but not the suite.

We're not wealthy by any means, but we keep a vacation fund ( to which money is added every month automatically) so that whatever vacation we take next year, the next year, ten years from now is already partially paid and we can always make deposits.

I was searching for a kind way to say essentially the same thing: if you cannot come up with the full deposit now, is it realistic that you'll be able to pay the balance? The deposit isn't all that much, and hard on the heels on the balance come tips and excursions. If you can save the balance easily enough, why not save it now and then make the reservation?

I agree with your assessment about being able to pay the 1000 vs 2000. It's an indication that you can afford the room but not the suite.

We're not wealthy by any means, but we keep a vacation fund ( to which money is added every month automatically) so that whatever vacation we take next year, the next year, ten years from now is already partially paid and we can always make deposits.

Actually it is none of your business whether they can afford a suite and when they will pay it off. The OP asked the simple question as to whether RCCL does half deposit sales, which it does, she wasn't looking for a credit check. :rolleyes:

Archived