Helmet Diving

beaches3

Was wondering if anyone has done the Harley's Helmet Diving and what you thoughts were. Thinking of surprising my husband for his Birthday when we arrive on 9/19. It looks good on line but its always good to hear about peoples first hand experiences. Thanks !!!:D

my husband and i did the helmet dive last july and had a fabulous time. we didn't book through the ship...rather we contacted the company directly and it worked out great. we were told that the ship tours are generally in the morning and we preferred an afternoon tour. it was a beautiful day and we met wonderful people, and enjoyed the tour...we have many beautiful pictures from the dive, too!:D

The helmet dive is awesome. I was very scared at first---that was before i even got in the boat. It just so happened that my family were going to be the last group to go down. But after I saw the other people go down and to see the smiles on their faces when they came up--i knew it was going to be ok. And it was. You will enjoy it. It is funny how we all looked under water with those helmets on!!

We did this a few years ago...it was absolutely the best thing we did...My DH is not a swimmer really doesn't love the water but went and he said he thought it was really amazing...the guide was great with everyone and helped all who needed it..petting the fish was fun and the pics we got were amazing ...we took the CD he sold us and I couldn't have been more please!!!

We just came home from Bermuda on the Gem. My MIL and stepson did the Hartleys dive. They loved it!!!

There was a little confusion as to which one they were supposed to do. My wife got a VM from Greg after we had waited til 9:30 at the meeting point. They worked it out so they could be on the afternoon dive.

Long story short, they enjoyed it very much.

We went in May, and it was slightly scary at first ( mostly thinking about it, since I am not a swimmer) but it is something that was on my "bucket list " for the last two times we have been in Bermuda. I was so proud of myself for talking DH and friends into it, and we all had a wonderful time. We also got the photos, plus ones our friend took with his under water camera, and loved it.

The funny (haha) thing was as I was heading down the ladder, my weight belt fell off. You have never seen anyone climb up that ladder so quickly. Our friends who were already down, thought I had chickened out....They put another belt on me, and I came down safely! It was a good laugh for us all.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you like the dive? My wife and I did this at the beginning of September and enjoyed it, although my wife got motion sick on their boat. We had a large group on our dive so we were out on the water for about 3 hours and it took a toll on her. The coolest thing was that Mr. Hartley told my wife to drive the boat back to the dock since "you can't get sick if you are looking where you are going." She did - although as soon as she stopped driving she lost it again. But that wasn't their fault.

The dive itself was fun, although if you aren't buying pictures be prepared to wait while the other people on your dive get theirs taken. We did not get to see the hogfish but did get to see Diana the angelfish do some tricks!

Hartley is awesome. We did this in 2006. I am a good swimmer and love the water, but I freaked out when i had to go down with the helmut on. He put me totally at ease. It was amazing. My husband really wanted to do this. He had the greatest time. I have some awesome pictures of him with the fish and I'm glad I did, because little did I know he would pass away by a freak accident a few weeks later.

Don't be afraid, just do it.

I'm super excited about this as well. I'm going with my 5 y/o daughter next week :-) I'll be buying the pics so I'll post them when I get back

Well, thanks to Ophelia and Phillipe, we didn't get to do this :(. We had booked directly with Hartley's and called them when we arrived as instructed. They informed us they had to change our 9:30 Thursday to 1:30 Thursday and was that OK. Sure, no problem for us. Thursday morning, the weather didn't look so great so I called again. Sorry, cancelled for the entire week due to the stormy weather/rough seas - all water excursions were cancelled I heard.

Very sad indeed but that means we will have to go back to do it :D

• 3 months later...

My DH and I first did this dive on a cruise to Bermuda in 1975. When we went back for our 25th anniv., we wanted to do it again and bring our friends along. We found out that the little boy in the brochure in '75 was Greg, who now runs the tour. It was fantastic and I would highly recommend it. We're cruising again to Bermuda in June and think it would be fun to meet up with Greg again.

• 3 months later...

Archived