BACK FROM FOS (Aug. 28th cruise)

Last night I written up a huge part of my review but this site had problems and it did not post so it take me another day or two to write another I can't believe it but I will remember it all :)

Green eyed lady- yes they have win a cruise I believe it was one on the Oasis and another on the LOS, you do the poker or the blackjack tournament. The cost went down from what it used to be generally now its around 20-30, it used to be 50.

Goouchjack- Add us to the list of never going to Chops ever again! I also not understand how Portofino's is so wonderful and Chops can't even be a quarter close to Portofino's!

Beachchick:

PORTOFINO'S:

I can't rave enough about this restaurant/dining experience. The service is very friendly, professional and they make you feel special, they definately go out of their way to please.

The bread dish you receive is this huge tall trianglar flatbread that they make themselves...there were homemade great breadsticks in addition to different types of breads...you are given a small tray of toppings which was an olive type topping, a tomato sauce based topping and roasted garlic. It was so good on top of the flatbread.

The menu consists of many types of items for appetizers which includes tuscan bean soup, ministrone and some type of seafood soup that had shrimp, scallops and lobster in it....appetizers such as risotto, carpachio, antipasti, salads, fried veggies, down to main couses such as a fish believe it was a halibut, beef tenderloin, porterhouse 16 oz steak, skewer of lobster, scallops and salmon, herbed chicken breast, veal saltimbocca and some type of eggplant dish. I cannot recall all the other items but there were more choices to appetizers, they had appetizer pasta dishes also including pasta main courses. The special both evenings we dined there they were offering lobster tails not sure if there is an additional fee but the waiter never said there was when he mentioned this to us.

Desserts I can absolutely recall that wonderful sampler plate (to die for lol), tiramisu, pannacotta, apricot ricotta tart with white chocolate brulee and I believe they had the chocolate mousse cake maybe another dessert that I can't recall.

Honey had the seafood soup- excellent so excellent he had the waiter get one for his dad they both said it was excellent (they also said if there was more seafood in the dish it could be used as a main course)

I had the carpaccio, well lets say it was soooo good, so lean so perfect and what a wonderful great taste I had to have it the second time

I also had the antipasti, it had grilled zucchini, eggplant, sundried tomato, olives, parmesiana cheese cut in a triangle, sopersatta (its in the salami family and was definately imported and to die for), cappolcola and prosciotto (which was extremely lean no fat at all), this was totally excellent that I had it again the second evening, I had to lol

Father in law had the fried vegetables, believe maybe there was a mushroom type (I not eat mushrooms so he probably didn't mention it to me) but he gave me one of this zucchini and eggplant ones which was delicious and not have a fried taste to it, perfect.

Daughter and myself had the minestrone soup, it was not the basic tomato based type as we usually get at other places, it was soooo tasty and good.

Tuscan bean soup was very good

Father in law had a risotto that I believe had some type of seafood in it with mushroom sauce he loved it.

Honey and I had the 16 oz. porterhouse steak which was very lean and very good (yes with the bone so you probably getting 10-12 oz total of meat) and I must say this steak blew out Chops tenderloin. I asked whether there steak is the same as Chops comes from and they said no and no wonder it did not compare to Chops filet mignon! I was able to even have a baked potato, there is a list of side dishes that you can choose also.

Daughter had the filet mignon and said it was much better than Chops, had a taste to it this time.

Father in law had the halibut and said it was very very good

I had the dessert sampler plate it is a must!

Father in law, honey and daughter all had different desserts all were very good and tasty they all were happy.

I have to say we loved Portofino's every time we dined there both on the LOS and now the FOS. Its a perfect dining experience and a must do at least once.

Last night I written up a huge part of my review but this site had problems and it did not post so it take me another day or two to write another I can't believe it but I will remember it all :)

Green eyed lady- yes they have win a cruise I believe it was one on the Oasis and another on the LOS, you do the poker or the blackjack tournament. The cost went down from what it used to be generally now its around 20-30, it used to be 50.

Goouchjack- Add us to the list of never going to Chops ever again! I also not understand how Portofino's is so wonderful and Chops can't even be a quarter close to Portofino's!

Beachchick:

PORTOFINO'S:

I can't rave enough about this restaurant/dining experience. The service is very friendly, professional and they make you feel special, they definately go out of their way to please.

The bread dish you receive is this huge tall trianglar flatbread that they make themselves...there were homemade great breadsticks in addition to different types of breads...you are given a small tray of toppings which was an olive type topping, a tomato sauce based topping and roasted garlic. It was so good on top of the flatbread.

The menu consists of many types of items for appetizers which includes tuscan bean soup, ministrone and some type of seafood soup that had shrimp, scallops and lobster in it....appetizers such as risotto, carpachio, antipasti, salads, fried veggies, down to main couses such as a fish believe it was a halibut, beef tenderloin, porterhouse 16 oz steak, skewer of lobster, scallops and salmon, herbed chicken breast, veal saltimbocca and some type of eggplant dish. I cannot recall all the other items but there were more choices to appetizers, they had appetizer pasta dishes also including pasta main courses. The special both evenings we dined there they were offering lobster tails not sure if there is an additional fee but the waiter never said there was when he mentioned this to us.

Desserts I can absolutely recall that wonderful sampler plate (to die for lol), tiramisu, pannacotta, apricot ricotta tart with white chocolate brulee and I believe they had the chocolate mousse cake maybe another dessert that I can't recall.

Honey had the seafood soup- excellent so excellent he had the waiter get one for his dad they both said it was excellent (they also said if there was more seafood in the dish it could be used as a main course)

I had the carpaccio, well lets say it was soooo good, so lean so perfect and what a wonderful great taste I had to have it the second time

I also had the antipasti, it had grilled zucchini, eggplant, sundried tomato, olives, parmesiana cheese cut in a triangle, sopersatta (its in the salami family and was definately imported and to die for), cappolcola and prosciotto (which was extremely lean no fat at all), this was totally excellent that I had it again the second evening, I had to lol

Father in law had the fried vegetables, believe maybe there was a mushroom type (I not eat mushrooms so he probably didn't mention it to me) but he gave me one of this zucchini and eggplant ones which was delicious and not have a fried taste to it, perfect.

Daughter and myself had the minestrone soup, it was not the basic tomato based type as we usually get at other places, it was soooo tasty and good.

Tuscan bean soup was very good

Father in law had a risotto that I believe had some type of seafood in it with mushroom sauce he loved it.

Honey and I had the 16 oz. porterhouse steak which was very lean and very good (yes with the bone so you probably getting 10-12 oz total of meat) and I must say this steak blew out Chops tenderloin. I asked whether there steak is the same as Chops comes from and they said no and no wonder it did not compare to Chops filet mignon! I was able to even have a baked potato, there is a list of side dishes that you can choose also.

Daughter had the filet mignon and said it was much better than Chops, had a taste to it this time.

Father in law had the halibut and said it was very very good

I had the dessert sampler plate it is a must!

Father in law, honey and daughter all had different desserts all were very good and tasty they all were happy.

I have to say we loved Portofino's every time we dined there both on the LOS and now the FOS. Its a perfect dining experience and a must do at least once.

Thanks for the detailed info! I think I'm going to go ahead and book as a surprise for my hubby.

we were on the 8/21 sailing on the FOS and CHOPS was awful, We had been several times on other ships and at this point have totally written it off and will not spend the money again. We waited over 1 hr and 20 minutes for the food, as they were waiting on a party of 30 (why take such a large group?) The food came out and one person had to send back the meat (not cooked) the onion rings are the exact same ones from Johnny Rockets. The ceasar salad is just a large hunk of romaine. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!

All I can say is thank the Lord for Cruise Critic. I ate in Chops on Brilliance and on Jewel,

so made a res on Freedom. After reading the comments, I have cancelled it and we'll be

dining in Portofino.

Through the years, I have come to depend on Cruise Critic for so much......I've done wonderful private tours all over the world using info from CC. When we're not going off on a rant about something or other, we're pretty darn good!

Archived