" NCL Star Partial Charter?" NCL Star 7/8/11??? NCL Please Help

NJ Johnny

After booking our family cruise I found out through my roll call for this date, that this sailing is a "partial charter". The group that charted this date ("The Broadway Cruise" an offshoot of R Family Vacations) is expecting to have over 750 signing up. I was told by my NCL PCC that they had no record of this partial charter and that we would not be excluded from any dining room or shows in the main theater or any area of the ship. This is in conflict with what "The Broadway Cruise" website states and with what another poster on the rollcall has informed us all. Has anyone had any experience with a partial charter of this magnitude and would NCL close areas to the rest of the paying guests? NCL, if you are reading this ( I know the forum is monitored by you) can you please give me some info regarding this situation. We have booked for our family of 10 including small children and don't want to be excluded from the main showroom or main dining room, pool areas, kids club or any other venue that is normally open to the public or be forced to use them only at certain times. My NCL PCC is trying to find us some info also. We need to hear an official statement regarding what is going on.

Never came across these type of circumstances, however, you are doing yourself a favor by straightening it out now. I would send an email to NCL Customer Relations and get something in writing for your records. I can't imagine NCL would prohibit pax from certain events due to the charter but you need to confirm this now. Otherwise, this could prove to be very problematic and cause chaos in your total cruise experience. Good luck and please keep us informed as to what NCL's response is.

Partial Charters happen all the time. My experience with them is they use the Conference rooms and Theater when NCL has no shows Scheduled. I was on the Oasis last year and they had a Partial Charter of Doctors (4000 of them). Only time I noticed them was when I saw their Name Tags.

Don't worry you won't lose access to anything that is a Scheduled NCL Event.

That sounds like a nice cruise (Bermuda ? ) maybe I will have to book my family :)

We were on the Star in May this year, and there were 900 people from Amway on board. They clogged up the hallways, shut down the Venitian one night, and spent the entire time taking pictures of everything. The good part was they were never at any shows, the latitude parties or in the hot tubs.

We're still talking about them.

This is taken from our roll call:

Just a bit more info about the charter...I was changing our stateroom this week and talked to the people putting on The Broadway Cruise. They say that they will have one dining room reserved for charter passengers, and one show in the large theater every night. Because there will be less "normal" passengers, they won't need as many showtimes to accomodate all of them. Since NCL normally does 3 production shows per sailing, there should still be ample time to see each show, just not more than once on the same night. There will also be certain outside deck areas reserved several times during the cruise for private parties/buffets. The bookings are going well, and they are hopeful that they will exceed the predicted 750 passengers for the charter.

Oh, one other thing that might be helpful...NCL seems to be notoriously bad about informing their passengers that a ship is chartered (full or partially). We were on a charter a couple of years ago and people were still posting on roll calls here that they were on that ship 6 months in advance. There was quite an uproar when they finally notified the non-charter passengers of the cancellation. I don't know what the problem is with this, the charters usually plan at least a year out, you'd think NCL would be better

I am concerned as I was not told when I booked on July 7th that this was a partial charter. Unfortunately my sister (her first cruise, I talked her into it, it will be our 2nd) but she talked me into booking through RCI, her timeshare, yes I received a really good price on an AFT Penthouse, but they made me put down $574.00 BESIDES the $250.00 cruise reward. I am afraid if I cancel they will keep the deposit!!! :eek::confused:

I think I will e-mail NCL directly to voice my concerns, as I would like to also have in writing what the deal is.

Do yourself a favor and find another date to cruise. These large groups will take over the ship regardless of what NCL tells you. They will get preference in the lounges and theater. I would cancel in a heartbeat.

Bingo. Walk away now while you can. NCL will limit accurate information so they can still fill the ship with 'other' passengers.

We had the experience of a huge group on the MSC POESIA in March of this year. We did not know until boarding that such a huge group would be on board 900+. This group was called the Holistic Holiday at Sea. I would not knowingly chose to do this again.

The group traveled in large 'packs' about the ship, blocking hallways, filling elevators, and never yielding to other guests as they were always so deep in discussion that they didn't seem to notice the other guests were in the way.

One dining room was dedicated to them and we were not even allowed to walk through it. We had no outdoor movies at night because they had private outdoor parties that cordoned off this space. I was asked to stop playing ping pong once as they needed to 'close off this area' to prepare for another evening party. Our dinner times were changed, late seating which we had, was switched from 8pm to 8h30, show times were changed some nights to. The library was closed for the duration. We showed up in the lounge for shows and their 'speaker' was not quite finished and we would wait for 10 minutes and then the herd would roar out and past us. Around 5h30 each night you could not get a drink at either of the outside bars as the bartenders were too busy mixing up the cocktail trays for the group.

Many of them wore questionable clothing around the ship. Men in spandex shorts just to give you an idea.

It became an us versus them situation. I felt like a second class guest on a first class ship. I did write to MSC as I heard others received a future cruise credit but I got no response.

The only good part was as they spent a good chunk of the day in workshops it was always easy to get a lounge chair.

Re-book if you can!

The group traveled in large 'packs' about the ship, blocking hallways, filling elevators, and never yielding to other guests as they were always so deep in discussion that they didn't seem to notice the other guests were in the way.

Honestly, I've had the same experience with some elderly folks while on board longer cruises when I felt really out of place when I was in my mid-30's. Not being mean...seriously.

I love Holland America, but I know that on some of their cruises, I will be far younger than the vast majority of cruisers...some of which are less than hospitable...and when I go on what is probably an 'older crowd' cruise, I fully expect hallways to have scooters in them, to be slowed by wheelchairs/those with oxygen in the hallways, to have to take the stairs as medical devices will likely take much elevator space. It's something to think about in advance and be prepared to work with. Not quite the same, but when you are in a vast minority, it can feel awkward regardless the experience. The same could be said for libraries/game rooms being overrun with bridge tournements and leaving no seats available. Personally, I suppose it depends on your expectation on what you want on a cruise is.

It's great that the OP is taking initiative in advance to be able to make the most educated decision. Either cancel and rebook, go with the mindset of meeting new friends, or make alternate plans that will enhance your cruise (book a suite to offer alternate dining options to eat in specialty restaurants/ensuite).

I am a little confused with the NCL please help portion, and why the mention of having small children in your group (so?); what help/information do you want? Piece of mind that you'll have a great time? Will have full access? They can't promise you that. How coulld they...they can hardly hideaway 750 guests that are all going to have the same grand eperience you seek...guests that are likely paying DOUBLE what you are paying as part of the charter booking. They want to have a great time also...keep an open mind. If NCL does respond with anything advising that the group will have no impact on your cruise, they'd set themselves, and your expectations, up for failure.

Have fun and kudos again for doing advance research rather than writing about how you had no idea and now want compensation.

Honestly, I've had the same experience with some elderly folks while on board longer cruises when I felt really out of place when I was in my mid-30's. Not being mean...seriously.

I love Holland America, but I know that on some of their cruises, I will be far younger than the vast majority of cruisers...some of which are less than hospitable...and when I go on what is probably an 'older crowd' cruise, I fully expect hallways to have scooters in them, to be slowed by wheelchairs/those with oxygen in the hallways, to have to take the stairs as medical devices will likely take much elevator space. It's something to think about in advance and be prepared to work with. Not quite the same, but when you are in a vast minority, it can feel awkward regardless the experience. The same could be said for libraries/game rooms being overrun with bridge tournements and leaving no seats available. Personally, I suppose it depends on your expectation on what you want on a cruise is.

It's great that the OP is taking initiative in advance to be able to make the most educated decision. Either cancel and rebook, go with the mindset of meeting new friends, or make alternate plans that will enhance your cruise (book a suite to offer alternate dining options to eat in specialty restaurants/ensuite).

I am a little confused with the NCL please help portion, and why the mention of having small children in your group (so?); what help/information do you want? Piece of mind that you'll have a great time? Will have full access? They can't promise you that. How coulld they...they can hardly hideaway 750 guests that are all going to have the same grand eperience you seek...guests that are likely paying DOUBLE what you are paying as part of the charter booking. They want to have a great time also...keep an open mind. If NCL does respond with anything advising that the group will have no impact on your cruise, they'd set themselves, and your expectations, up for failure.

Have fun and kudos again for doing advance research rather than writing about how you had no idea and now want compensation.

LOL well since I'm getting up there in age, I'm really not sure how I feel about your example :D, but I do get your point.

Very well written post.

We were on a cruise with a whole kit and kaboodle of scrapbookers, it didn't affect our cruise at all. If it wasn't for the hanging name tags and huge cameras we probably wouldn't have even known it. I think it definately depends on the group that is chartered.

OP if you have any doubts that this may ruin your vacation and have the option of rebooking a different time, you may want to consider that. However, keep in mind this happens on a lot of ships and the next one booked may be partially chartered as well with a completely different group.

**SNIP**

Well made point. The example you chose could irk a few though. Oh well. I get it.

**SNIP**

Well made point. The example you chose could irk a few though. Oh well. I get it.

LOL Well if you are going to single out one group, I guess it's the best group to do it too, since if we don't die young, we will all be in that group sooner or later. :p

The reason that I mention Small Chidren in our group, I would think is obvious. Small children (5yrs and under) eat their dinner early, and we all prefer the large main dining room. Any shows in the main theater that the parents wish to take them to need to be in the earlier time frame. We need to know that the kid's club will be open to everyone and the pools etc. also. To be excluded from certain areas at the earlier times would be very disrupting to anyone that expects this. This is not our first NCL cruise and we all are aware of what to expect from a cruise experience. I'm asking for NCL's official opinion on this because as of now, I've been hearing two different reports of what is to take place. As you said I'm trying to make an educated decision for our entire family before deciding to rebook a different date.

The reason that I mention Small Chidren in our group, I would think is obvious. Small children (5yrs and under) eat their dinner early, and we all prefer the large main dining room. Any shows in the main theater that the parents wish to take them to need to be in the earlier time frame. We need to know that the kid's club will be open to everyone and the pools etc. also. To be excluded from certain areas at the earlier times would be very disrupting to anyone that expects this. This is not our first NCL cruise and we all are aware of what to expect from a cruise experience. I'm asking for NCL's official opinion on this because as of now, I've been hearing two different reports of what is to take place. As you said I'm trying to make an educated decision for our entire family before deciding to rebook a different date.

OP I understand your concern, but seriously I don't think you are going to get an answer from the regular NCL phone lines. Those are just call centers and unless you trying to book a cabin, they are usually not much help in the info department. Have you tried contacting the group sales dept. I would guess that these decisions are made either by them or the ship itself.

I can see that this will have some impact, however, the group will only make up 30% of the ship. The "regular" passengers will still be a significant majority. I would foresee some minor rearranging, but they certainly are not going to "take over the ship". Go with an open mind and enjoy.

Dear NJ Johnny,

We wanted to let you know that we expect this group to be a manageable size (maximum about 250-300 guests) which should not impact our other guests. Their special entertainment will be scheduled around our regular entertainment programming, most likely held during the day when the ship is in port.

We hope that helps.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

I would absolutely stay away from a charter. The below is pasted from the Broadway Cruise website FAQs:

Q: Will the entire ship be involved on the Broadway Cruise?

...While we are not chartering the entire ship, it will certainly feel that way!

Archived