" NCL Star Partial Charter?" NCL Star 7/8/11??? NCL Please Help

NJ Johnny

How do you find out if there is a charter or partial charter?

thanks

Not sure exactly but I was researching charters for another thread a few weeks ago where the entire ship had been chartered and stumbled onto a website (Religious tour company) and found lots more weeks where NCL ships were listed. These must all be partial charters. Ships were the Star, Spirit and even POA. There were ships from other cruise lines listed also. I didn't see the EPIC listed though (on that site anyway).

Not sure exactly but I was researching charters for another thread a few weeks ago where the entire ship had been chartered and stumbled onto a website (Religious tour company) and found lots more weeks where NCL ships were listed. These must all be partial charters. Ships were the Star, Spirit and even POA. There were ships from other cruise lines listed also. I didn't see the EPIC listed though (on that site anyway).

Do you happen to remember the website? Any clues as to what you searched on?

We have a cruise booked out of NYC at a time when NCL, in the past, had large numbers of families from a religious school in the NYC area. from the reports, I don't want to go through that again.

Do you happen to remember the website? Any clues as to what you searched on?

We have a cruise booked out of NYC at a time when NCL, in the past, had large numbers of families from a religious school in the NYC area. from the reports, I don't want to go through that again.

I just found it but can't post it on here. If you post your email I will send it to you. You can immediately remove your email after. I searched for Mormon cruises Norwegian Star and it was one of the first things that popped up.

...no lines at the BAR! :D

Somewhere on this board is a funny post about a big partial charter. The group was very different culturally and it sounds like there were some issues: people taking a bite of buffet food and replacing it, pax pushing into crowded elevators, etc.

Reading about it was entertaining, but I bet it was not a lot of fun. :eek:

We were on Carnival Spirit about 10 years ago in Alaska. It was a Star Trek cruise, although they did not probably make up more than 40-50 % of the ship. Other than a few odd Starfleet jumpsuits the night of formal dinner, they weren't a problem at all. Never saw or heard them. We had heard there were a few minor celebrities on board, don't even remember who. My husband will tell you that the cruisers did carry some major camera equipment :) He was jealous!

I searched for Mormon cruises Norwegian Star and it was one of the first things that popped up.

Well, I agree with ValleyVillage, they will all probably just buy the soda sticker. The dance floors might be full but that will probably be all that would be noticable. :D

Dear NJ Johnny,

We wanted to let you know that we expect this group to be a manageable size (maximum about 250-300 guests) which should not impact our other guests. Their special entertainment will be scheduled around our regular entertainment programming, most likely held during the day when the ship is in port.

We hope that helps.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

Nice to see you reassuring the OP. This sounds much different than what I experienced and a much smaller group.

From the charter web page:\

Q: Will the entire ship be involved on the Broadway Cruise?

We are excited to offer the very first "Broadway Cruise" sailing from NYC. While we are not chartering the entire ship, it will certainly feel that way! We have exclusive entertainment options daily and we expect to have approximately 750 guests on board. We'll dine together, party together, beach together and share our love of Broadway.

We once had the misfortune of being on a partial specialty cruise a number of years ago. The programing that we were excluded from did significantly change the offerings we "regular" passengers were offered. Lounges were closed at different times and the production shows were only offered once on a number of occasions to accommodate the headliners the charters were presenting. I'd would not do it again if I was aware this was the situation. I now do my best to google my cruise date and ship to see if there are any little secrets the cruise line didn't tell us about. The Cruise line was NCL in our instance. And I notice NCL the number of passengers is about 1/3rd of what the producers are saying will participate.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

How do you find out if there is a charter or partial charter?

thanks

A complete charter, you would not be able to book into anyway. Those bookings are handled by the company chartering the ship or the Travel Agency on record. Personally, I don't like the term partial charter, the agency is blocking a specified number of staterooms.

As our family is flexible to change dates, and as we are still hearing different reports of whether we will have access to dining rooms, main showroom at night etc, we are not going to take any chances of staying on this sailing. I had a conversation with the producer of this partial charter and I'm hearing a completely different picture than our NCL response. He expects three times, at least, the amount of people signing up and states they will have use of the main showroom and main dining room in the evenings and no one else will be allowed entry. We are just not going to chance this when we can pick another date.

As our family is flexible to change dates, and as we are still hearing different reports of whether we will have access to dining rooms, main showroom at night etc, we are not going to take any chances of staying on this sailing. I had a conversation with the producer of this partial charter and I'm hearing a completely different picture than our NCL response. He expects three times, at least, the amount of people signing up and states they will have use of the main showroom and main dining room in the evenings and no one else will be allowed entry. We are just not going to chance this when we can pick another date.

Probably a good idea if you are getting conflicting information.

Happy sailing

THanks for the follow-up, NJ. I just googled my sailing, and I can't find any sign of a large group on board, thank goodness.

But I learned an extremely valuable lesson from this thread - thanks so much for posting. I don't know what my cruising future holds, but I do know that I will NEVER make a final payment again without doing all I can (google, ask, etc) to find out if there is a partial charter on that sailing. I think I'd get frustrated by entire venues being set aside for large groups. And I am quite sure taht I would not like the atmosphere created by a very large group of connected passengers. That sort of thing is great if you are one of the group. Not so much if you aren't.

I just found it but can't post it on here. If you post your email I will send it to you. You can immediately remove your email after. I searched for Mormon cruises Norwegian Star and it was one of the first things that popped up.

a r b e e 7 7 7 7 at a o l dot com (remove spaces and use signs . . .

thanks in advance

This thread inspired me to google my upcoming cruise, and guess what?

My cruise (Jewel NE/Canada October 8-15, 2011) is going to have a group of New England square dancers...with a caller named Bubba! This could be a LOT of fun...

We were on a partial charter cruise about 6 years ago (CCL) and had no problems at all. I found out about it here on CC and was worried sick with all the negative comments, but we could not change our cruise date.

Long story short, it was fine. You certainly knew they were on board, they filled most of the early seating (we were 2nd), and had the theatre reserved a lot. We had a great time ... and what was the group? 'Cruise to Lose' with Richard Simmons. It was actually a hoot seeing him and the group around the ship.

Bottom line, it was no different than any other maximum booked cruise (crowded) and we've been on many.

To the OP, glad you were able to change your date, just for your piece of mind but all my worry for several months before the cruise were for nothing.

This thread inspired me to google my upcoming cruise, and guess what?

My cruise (Jewel NE/Canada October 8-15, 2011) is going to have a group of New England square dancers...with a caller named Bubba! This could be a LOT of fun...

Pics or it didn't happen... ;)

Wow, I would absolutely HATE having to pack a square dance petticoat! At least the string ties don't take up much room for the gents, but then there are the different matching outfits for each evening. I hope they don't live far from the port to save on all the checked luggage fees.

Square dancers are fun, my parents used to do it and we spent MANY memorial day weekends camping with a group of square dancers.

I'm with LadyShiva, take pics!

Pics or it didn't happen... ;)

Will definitely take pics. There were a ton of square dance cruises on that website (google New England Square Dance cruise). I wouldn't have thought there were so many square dancers as to need that many cruises:confused:

Like Sauer-kraut, I've also known some dancers, and they're fine folks.

I probably would put a little less faith in what the producer of the tour had to say as opposed to NCL. They certainly have to build some hype or they would get no one. Can you imagine if they say, we're only going to have about 250 guests out of 2200 and will not have dedicated facilities for our group? No one would sign up. When I review the site for this group, I don't see much/anything that talks about dedicated facilities other than having rooms during the day. Even if they got the 750 maximum that has been mentioned, it would still be only 1/3 of the ship.:rolleyes:

I probably would put a little less faith in what the producer of the tour had to say as opposed to NCL. They certainly have to build some hype or they would get no one. Can you imagine if they say, we're only going to have about 250 guests out of 2200 and will not have dedicated facilities for our group? No one would sign up. When I review the site for this group, I don't see much/anything that talks about dedicated facilities other than having rooms during the day. Even if they got the 750 maximum that has been mentioned, it would still be only 1/3 of the ship.:rolleyes:

Very good point.

Archived