Cruise lines are offering extra choices for extra cost

Cruise lines are offering extra choices for extra cost

Cruise lines are increasingly expanding their range of optional services for passengers, whose costs are separate from the ticket fares. Such optional amenities include restaurant dinners, spa treatments and pizza deliveries. "What really is driving a lot of the things we do on board is, our customers say they want variety and they want choice," said Lisa Bauer, senior vice president of hotel operations for Royal Caribbean International. The Miami Herald (free registration)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/05/2392092/cruisers-have-more-options-at.html

The only way to stop all these extra fees is to not use them..my biggest gripe is the downgrading the quality of food in the MDR to push cruisers to CHOPS SAMBA PORTIFINO etc. for a Better cut of meat or better dining experience than that which was found in the MDR of past. I get that cruise lines need to make a profit and so to keep the base cruise price at a low price the need to generate extra revenue is a must but it has become at the expense of a downgrading of an original cruise of 10 yrs ago. RCI will say you get a better cruise with more choices ...you just have to pay for the better experience:( If more people decline to pay for the exclusive restaurants will the trend go back to better MDR experience and the base price may raise, but I see the base cost for RCI has risen in the past 2 yrs anyway. I vote to stop using the cost eateries and see how RCI reacts.;)

The only way to stop all these extra fees is to not use them..my biggest gripe is the downgrading the quality of food in the MDR to push cruisers to CHOPS SAMBA PORTIFINO etc. for a Better cut of meat or better dining experience than that which was found in the MDR of past. I get that cruise lines need to make a profit and so to keep the base cruise price at a low price the need to generate extra revenue is a must but it has become at the expense of a downgrading of an original cruise of 10 yrs ago. RCI will say you get a better cruise with more choices ...you just have to pay for the better experience:( If more people decline to pay for the exclusive restaurants will the trend go back to better MDR experience and the base price may raise, but I see the base cost for RCI has risen in the past 2 yrs anyway. I vote to stop using the cost eateries and see how RCI reacts.;)

I totally agree with you. We absolutely refuse to eat in specialty restaurants. Our last two cruises cost $7000 each for 4 of us, and there is no way I was going to pay more for anything, and our sea pass bill at the end of the cruise was for $120 (excludes tips and excursions). In our experience, they are not keeping base prices down. We used to be able to book cruises in the $3500-4500 range for the 4 of us, and our spending was higher.

As long as all three meals, plus between-meal snacks, are included in your fare and are available somewhere (e.g. MDR and Windjammer), then they can add all the extra-charge restaurants they want. I have no objection to extra-fee add-ons, as long as I'm satisfied with the product that comes with the initial cruise fare. And so far, I have been.

We'll be booking Portofino 3 nights out of 7 on our cruise this winter.;) We can take only so many vacations per year and want to enjoy them to the fullest. I could care less about trying to make a point to RCCL (as if my dining choice would).

I don't believe they are downgrading the food in the MDR to push people into the speciality restaurants. They would prefer that you eat in the MDR as they make more money when you do that. You may get the impression they're pushing them but it's probably only to keep them booked enough to not take a large loss from food not being used. When you compare the food cost for the specialty restaurants to the MDR it is a lot higher, more than what you're paying them to maintain. The restaurants are there to entice those that want something bigger and better to cruise with them, not to get people to spend more money on food.

I don't believe they are downgrading the food in the MDR to push people into the speciality restaurants. They would prefer that you eat in the MDR as they make more money when you do that. You may get the impression they're pushing them but it's probably only to keep them booked enough to not take a large loss from food not being used. When you compare the food cost for the specialty restaurants to the MDR it is a lot higher, more than what you're paying them to maintain. The restaurants are there to entice those that want something bigger and better to cruise with them, not to get people to spend more money on food.

I agree. Do the math on what Chops or Portofino likely grosses per night, minus the costs for staff, food etc - the net income on those places has to be a VERY small fraction of the overall cruise income/revenue for a week.

We do not feel at all the food quality has gone down. I always am happy with what I find to eat. We also never eat in the specialty restaurants and could care less about how many of them they offer. For those that want to use them great, we are perfectly happy with the food in the MDR and WJ. I think it is great that we all have choices. Some people eat at 5* restaurants at home, we go to sports bars and local restaurants by the water - it is all about having choices. For us, no desire to go and pay to eat somewhere when we can get great food in the MDR.

I look on a cruise ship as a resort more than a hotel. I like that they offer the choice of other restaurants just like a land based resort would.

It's then down to me to decide to spend my money in them,just like the other extras they offer, you don't have to go.

I do wish they'd spend some money on changing some of the mdr menus quicker & shows. As the two times we went on NOS it was the same stuff from the year before.

I won't stop eating at them. I LOVE the choices.:D;)

If more people decline to pay for the exclusive restaurants will the trend go back to better MDR experience and the base price may raise,

To each his own. Even if the MDR food improves, it will still be mass prepared for hundreds (thousands) at a time, and when you prepare food in quantities like that, it will always leave a bit to be desired. And regardless of the MDR quality, there really are a lot of people who like having the choices of alternate restaurants. I think the extra restaurants for extra $$ are here to stay. For me personally, I'm happy about that. :)

I don't get the point of specialty restaurants when there's perfectly good food in the MDR, which you have already paid for.

That is my point and would rather RCI strive to make the MDR experience better than to keep adding on Speciality stores that is added cost. We lost a great little Seaview cafe on Radience and added a extra cost Mexican restaurant that really should have been a free option in the Windjammer. Or Sambas which again is a great idea but it is in the Seaviews spot:( Yes variety is good and those who dont mind adding to there bottom line of the cruise bill so be it:rolleyes: I still Love RCI and will keep on cruising as much as I can:)

I don't get the point of specialty restaurants when there's perfectly good food in the MDR, which you have already paid for.

Why not say why eat elsewhere than McDonalds, the food is perfectly good there. :rolleyes:

The point is food at the speciality restaurants is cooked to order for YOU when you order it just like a fine restaurant at home, and it's better quality food to start with. The MDR food is mass produced for thousands of people at a time. It's perfectly fine food, but not as good as what's available at the speciality restaurants if you're interested in paying for it.

I used to feel the same when they first added the different Dining options, I knew the food quality would go downhill,and it did, at least I have noticed a big change since my first cruise in 1999. The cuts of meat are not as good and even there is a difference in the waiters, they spread them out to cover the different small eateries and now the ones in the MDR are serving more tables than ever before. By the time you get your food, you're lucky if it's warm( that's the new 'hot') But now they got everyone hooked on the 'better' food, so they will be here to stay. On Princess,I even pay extra for brewed coffee as the free coffee taste like coffee that's been in a pot all day. I even got suckered into paying extra for ice cream and good pastries.

Let's face it..it's here to stay...like it or not.

I say keep those "options" coming. If it has the effect of aiding the criuse line's bottom line then I'm all for it. We started cruising 6 years ago and we haven't noticed any significant difference in food quality in the MDR. We occasionally dine in the Windjammer and that appears to be the case there as well. I do miss the prosciutto sandwiches in the Promenade Cafe (regular ham now).

That said, prices for cruises have stayed relatively stable since then. OK, the new ships are a bit pricey but they cost a pretty penny too! Still plenty of other ships to choose from.

We have dined occasionally in the specialty restaurants (Portofino is our hands-down favorite) and we enjoy having that "option".

Those of you who would begrudge the cruise lines an opportunity to turn a profit need a lesson in economics. No profit? No cruiselines!

All this talk on these boards about "nickle and diming" somehow misses the point. It's all about choices. If you feel the cruise experience has gone downhill so much, perhaps you should spend your vacation dollars elswhere. We feel that a cruise is still the best way to get maximum bang for our bucks.

Bon Voyage to all!

I would love to somehow see them be able to assign deck chairs to each cabin. Each person in a cabin should be assigned/guranteed a deck chair.

When you book your cabin, you would also pick your chair location. Some locations would have zero extra cost and some would have an additional fee (based upon perceived value of location).

This would eliminate the chair hogs and towel game. It would make my cruise experience better and more relaxing.

I would love to somehow see them be able to assign deck chairs to each cabin. Each person in a cabin should be assigned/guranteed a deck chair.

When you book your cabin, you would also pick your chair location. Some locations would have zero extra cost and some would have an additional fee (based upon perceived value of location).

This would eliminate the chair hogs and towel game. It would make my cruise experience better and more relaxing.

HAL used to do that without charge. It's one of those perks of cruising that have disappeared. I complain about being nickled and dimed to death but I keep cruising because overall it's still a great vacation.

If you did not cruise 20 years ago, the nickel and dime concept will elude you.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR. Two seatings for dinner and it was an experience, you were catered to. The doors were closed about 20 minutes into dinner and if you were late, too bad.

No yard sale tables outside the ship stores.

Midnight buffet with a time for pictures and then time for eating, and all the food was excellent. You did not have to go to an upscale venue. The MDR was upscale. Cherries jubilee was lit at the table. Dinner was an adventure every night. If you starred at your food for more than 10 seconds, your waiter would want to know if there was a problem.

My wife refused dessert one night and 5 minutes later the head waiter, waiter and a chef were standing by the table asking, "Can we make something for you?"

Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR. Two seatings for dinner and it was an experience, you were catered to. The doors were closed about 20 minutes into dinner and if you were late, too bad.

Midnight buffet with a time for pictures and then time for eating, and all the food was excellent. You did not have to go to an upscale venue. The MDR was upscale. Cherries jubilee was lit at the table. Dinner was an adventure every night. If you starred at your food for more than 10 seconds, your waiter would want to know if there was a problem.

My wife refused dessert one night and 5 minutes later the head waiter, waiter and a chef were standing by the table asking, "Can we make something for you?"

This paragraph was excerpted from a New York Times article from June 9, 1991:

"The price for a seven-day cruise on the Fantasy will run from $999 to $2,439. The four-day Carnivale and Mardi Gras Cruises will cost from $529 to $1,159; the three-day cruises will range from $399 to $1,019. Four-day rates for the Fantasy will be $579 to $1,319; three-day rates will be $459 to $1,149."

Wow! At those rates one would expect a different standard of cruising. And those rates are from CARNIVAL!

Heck, I couldn't AFFORD to cruise 20 years ago. But you can still get the cruise experience you were used to. Just pick Crystal or Seaborn but watch your wallet:eek:.

Yeah, The "good 'ol days" may be gone but these days are pretty darn good for cruising!

Bon Voyage!

AMEN, I remember those days, when not only was the food excellent but so was the service.

BTW, they stopped cooking at the tables (Cherries jubilee) due to a potential fire hazzard.

They use to parade with flaming Baked Alaska's on their head, they stopped this also

They stopped thr Midnight Buffet because 90% of the food was thrown out.

I say keep those "options" coming. If it has the effect of aiding the criuse line's bottom line then I'm all for it. We started cruising 6 years ago and we haven't noticed any significant difference in food quality in the MDR. We occasionally dine in the Windjammer and that appears to be the case there as well. I do miss the prosciutto sandwiches in the Promenade Cafe (regular ham now).

That said, prices for cruises have stayed relatively stable since then. OK, the new ships are a bit pricey but they cost a pretty penny too! Still plenty of other ships to choose from.

We have dined occasionally in the specialty restaurants (Portofino is our hands-down favorite) and we enjoy having that "option".

Those of you who would begrudge the cruise lines an opportunity to turn a profit need a lesson in economics. No profit? No cruiselines!

All this talk on these boards about "nickle and diming" somehow misses the point. It's all about choices. If you feel the cruise experience has gone downhill so much, perhaps you should spend your vacation dollars elswhere. We feel that a cruise is still the best way to get maximum bang for our bucks.

Bon Voyage to all!

ITA with you! And besides it's only nickle and diming you if you decide to buy into the extra's, hich we do! We did not cruise years ago "In the Good Old Days" when the food and everything was "So Much Better" than today, so in today's cruise world, We enjoy it, we enjoy the food in whatever venue we eat in. We enjoy the drinks at the prices they are. We enjoy our cabin, no matter the size. We enjoy the entertainment. We enjoy giving those whom we are suppose to give tips to, their tips at the end of the week, cause we know it's a hard life to do what they do week in and week out non-stop and always keeping a smile on their face no matter how rude people are with them. We just enjoy cruising, and find it to be a good vacation for the buck in today's cruise standards. There are things in life I use to like in the past, that I can't bring back because it is the past, so I just adapt to what's "Now" and keep on moving and being happy!

Be Happy and Keep on Cruising!

I forgot about the Baked Alaska. I can do without the midnight buffet. I do miss the "Old Days".

We loved the Baked Alaska too. As far as the 'Old Days'...they will never return:(. In place of the Buffet, nowadays, people prefer eating pizza.. in shorts LOL

Archived