Ruins in Belize or Cozumel?

cruzanisfun

Belize would be the better stop IMHO. On Coz is a small set of ruins, San Grevasio, that are interesting if you've never sen ruins up close, but not spectacular. The views from Tulum on the mainland are spectatuclar, but you can only use pathways around the ruins. Because you have to trael by ferry (set schedules) and then by bus van or taxi to get to Tulum and then return, it can be an long all day journey just to spent an hour or two there.

In Belize, if you don't want to make it an all day trip, you can go the ruins at Altun Ha, walk around and climb on them, and come back to the tender pier and shop or eat and drink. You can also do the all day thing and go to either Xunatunich or Lamanai. Xuna is a two hour + bus ride, 2 hours visit, 45 minute lunch and 2 two hours back. Lamanai is an hour+ bus ride north then a equally long boat ride to the ruins, which are very nice to see. But many ships do not offer excursions here, so if you book private, you do run a risk of missing the last tender if there are any delays. All 3 ruins offer different aspects of Maya culture, Altun Ha is relatvely small and was populated nearer the end of the Maya era, Lamanai was occupied for close to 3000 years, and Xunatunich straddles the difference between coast and mountain/inland Maya culture in Guatemala/Belize.

Which country has the best ruins? I know it takes a long time to get to them in Cozumel, and I'm not sure how crazy I am about that...but I am keeping an open mind. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Crewsweeper is right, best bet is Belize. More things to do in Cozumel and ruins there are less impressive. DW and I have been to Xunatunich and really enjoyed it, but it is a loooong bus ride there and back and it uses up all of your port time. We were in the first tender off the Legend and the last tender back on when we went.

Hope this helps.

My trip to the ruins in Tulum was horrible. It took up the entire day, was sweltering hot, we got eaten alive my mosquitos, and I thought it was boring. However I will say that I'm not into history so maybe it was the wrong way for me to spend my day in Cozumel.

Archived