What would happen if...?

CRUISING71

What would happen if you tender into the port, a storm came in after you tender. When you turn around you see the ship leaving port for safety reason. According to official...once the storm is over, the ship will return and we can tender back.

1/ Who would be responsible for the expense incurred if the ship is not able to tender us back on board?

2/ Who is responsible to take us to the next port to meet up with the ship?

I am just wondering, because it happen to us. Fortunately, we were able to tender back, but it was rough, took almost an hour to tender back which normally only take 20 minutes.

I believe if it's because of weather, the responsibilities are your own. Or your insurance's.

That said, when the hurricane made the ships leave san Juan early, Carnival worked with their passengers, but they were NOT responsible too.

I think the captain knows which storms to be in and which to stay away before you tender.......

We were in Grand Caymans last May and it rained so hard we couldn't even see the shoreline while tendered.....yet as soon as the rain let up we were off........

This happened a few years ago to some passengers visiting the Falkland Islands. They were ashore and a storm caused the ship to have to depart the harbor. The people of the island invited the stranded passengers into their homes and gave them shelter, food, and a place to sleep until the next day when the ship returned and the tenders were able to be used to return the passengers to the vessel.

What would happen if you tender into the port, a storm came in after you tender. When you turn around you see the ship leaving port for safety reason. According to official...once the storm is over, the ship will return and we can tender back.

1/ Who would be responsible for the expense incurred if the ship is not able to tender us back on board?

2/ Who is responsible to take us to the next port to meet up with the ship?

I am just wondering, because it happen to us. Fortunately, we were able to tender back, but it was rough, took almost an hour to tender back which normally only take 20 minutes.

This is why so many of us have learned to purchase trip insurance --- trip insurance purchased from a vendor other than the cruise line.

Dianne

I'm with Miss Diva. I think that if there was any possibility that you would not be able to return to the ship, you would not have been let off to begin with.

There was a squall in Cabo in July and they did not begin tender operations until it passed by, around noon. They gave the passengers extra time in port to make up for it.

This reminds me of an incident ....

Royal had a ship in Coco Cay, their private island, they had to shut down the tendering process at some point leaving pax and some crew stranded. They had to camp out overnight. The next day they were able to board the ship.

Here is the thread if anyone is interested

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1356836

or from the cc new archives(2002)

In November, CocoCay made headlines when waters got too rough to allow passengers on Majesty of the Seas, which tenders folks in to a floating dock, back onboard. Instead, more than 1,400 of the ship’s 2,200 guests spent the night, “roughing it,” on lounge chairs and wrapped in beach towels (not to mention blankets, comforters and pillows sent over from the ship) on CocoCay. Many of the ”stranded” passengers found the once-in-a-lifetime experienced, however impromptu, of camping on a private island quite an adventure (Royal Caribbean’s offer of a full refund and a certificate for a free four day cruise to those impacted didn’t quash spirits either). In fact, some are trying to convince the cruise line to schedule another CocoCay overnight during a Majesty of the Seas voyage -- this one on purpose, of course. A Royal Caribbean spokesman is coy, however, about any plans to do so.

I believe if it's because of weather, the responsibilities are your own. Or your insurance's.

That said, when the hurricane made the ships leave san Juan early, Carnival worked with their passengers, but they were NOT responsible too.

She is talking about tendering in port not embarking... San Juan was embarking that day for the beginning of the cruise when this happened due to Irene.

This happen to us 2 weeks ago on the Splendor. We were wondering why did the ship let us tender if they knew the storm were coming? Maybe they didn't know about the storm?

According to the excursion team on land, there were 800 passengers got tender in and currently stranded. We were a little scare, because we were schedule for snorkeling tour and did not bring our passport and extra cash with us, just a few changes and 1 credit card.

It would depend on the specific policy, most have some sort of provision for a trip delay.

But the tenders stranding you are not really trip delay, and now having read that article provided by OctoberDestiny, I'm thinking trip insurance may not cover this situation.

Someone who has insurance for an upcoming trip should call their carrier and get back to us with the answer.

I'm with Miss Diva. I think that if there was any possibility that you would not be able to return to the ship, you would not have been let off to begin with.

There was a squall in Cabo in July and they did not begin tender operations until it passed by, around noon. They gave the passengers extra time in port to make up for it.

Maybe they learned from the incident in 2002 when RCI had to leave pax stranded on their private islamd of CocoCay.

Bill

She is talking about tendering in port not embarking... San Juan was embarking that day for the beginning of the cruise when this happened due to Irene.

I realized that, but I have a feeling as far as "responsibility" any cruise line or airline will use "weather" as their reason for not being responsible. That said, I'm sure there would be a huge case for "why did they let the passengers off if a storm was on the radar"...

Archived