Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica

claudiaj

These are the ports we are going to in December. Any suggetions as far as shore excursions, things to do, or the best--shopping and what to purchase-if anything?

Claudia

We have been to these islands and are going to them again in November. Bonaire is great for snorkeling. Dominica and Grenada are beautiful islands and the island tours are very good.

This trip we are going to go tubing down a river. We just are not sure if Grenada or Dominica is better.

We did these 3 last winter and loved them all. Check the Ports of call boards but we loved:

Bonnaire - Snorkeling. Did a beginner shore snorkel with Renee. Best excursion ever! I had snorkeled before quite a bit but my sister had not, we both loved this one.

Grenada - Did a spice tour of the Island with Mondoo (sp?)- again Great!

Dominica - Did a cooking demo with Daria. It is private and was just GREAT.

In Grenada if you do not know what you want to do wait until you get there. After you get off the ship and go out onto the pier there is a tour office there. For $20 dollars or so they will give you a very nice tour of the island that does waterfalls, spice shops, a trip up to the fort and then to the beach. Beats the prices out of any other tour. The tours are in a van that holds 8 people and will leave when full, usually abotu 15 minutes. Loved it earlier this year.

• 1 year later...

I have taken five souther caribbean cruises, so far.

My recommendations are:

Bonaire: Bonaire Vista Tours. A land tour that lasts about 3 hours; mere cost $25 per person! One of the most highly rated Bonaire excursion. Have to book, months ahead.

Dominica: Take a private guide trip to the Caribe Indian area! Best guide is BENO.

Very few cruisers go the this area. We bought MANY handmade items,

directly from the residents-at their roadside stands. Hand woven baskets,

of many styles/sizes,etc.

Grenada: Gordon's Tours. I have booked his tour for February 2013. Taking the Spice

Plantation Route; view/purchase FRESH spices,for starters.

Need any more advice, glad to assist you.

Archived