With ES, if your category is sold out ?

k2excursion

Under Early Saver, if your category is sold out, and the price of a higher category drops below your rate, can you match to that lower rate without having to upgrade to that category?

I thought I knew the answer to this. I was sure the answer was no, until I got flamed on another thread for answering no to someone else. Before that, the only answer I ever read on here was no. But several people came on that thread, telling me I'm wrong, and nobody corrected them or told them that I was right. Now I'm confused. If I can match to a higher rate, I may upgrade our 1A on the Triumph to a PT. The PTs won't last long, which is why I recommended the 1A with portholes. I'm hoping for more price drops, since 1As typically don't sell out until near the end. But if we can match prices to a 4A or higher and not have to upgrade, then the PT is definitely the way to go. I just don't want to upgrade to the PT, then find out we actually can't do that.

Under Early Saver, if your category is sold out, and the price of a higher category drops below your rate, can you match to that lower rate without having to upgrade to that category?

I thought I knew the answer to this. I was sure the answer was no, until I got flamed on another thread for answering no to someone else. Before that, the only answer I ever read on here was no. But several people came on that thread, telling me I'm wrong, and nobody corrected them or told them that I was right. Now I'm confused. If I can match to a higher rate, I may upgrade our 1A on the Triumph to a PT. The PTs won't last long, which is why I recommended the 1A with portholes. I'm hoping for more price drops, since 1As typically don't sell out until near the end. But if we can match prices to a 4A or higher and not have to upgrade, then the PT is definitely the way to go. I just don't want to upgrade to the PT, then find out we actually can't do that.

I thought I knew the answer, too. And I thought the answer was no as well. I'll let you know within 3 business days as this scenario happenned to me today. My category is sold out and a higher category is selling for less than I paid. My thing is, I don't want to give up my cabin. I just want the OBC. I'm in a cove on the Dream and they sold out long ago. The rules for ES say it has to be the exact same category, but I have read quite a few posts where people were able to match to the higher category. I submitted the form, will let ya know what happens.

I thought I knew the answer, too. And I thought the answer was no as well. I'll let you know within 3 business days as this scenario happenned to me today. My category is sold out and a higher category is selling for less than I paid. My thing is, I don't want to give up my cabin. I just want the OBC. I'm in a cove on the Dream and they sold out long ago. The rules for ES say it has to be the exact same category, but I have read quite a few posts where people were able to match to the higher category. I submitted the form, will let ya know what happens.

Thanks. We'll definitely be interested to hear what happens, especially since we have a cove booked for the Breeze in 2013. So if we're able to do this, it might help out for that cruise too.

I can only tell you that in the past I have been able to price match to a higher category for OBC without having to upgrade. But, I have also seen others post on here that you can't do that. :confused:

I think I would wait to hear what happens with kujobie's request before deciding.

I'm in the "yes, you can" camp. We have done it, and PVP told us to write in the comment section of the form that we did NOT want to upgrade...wanted the price adjustment only. Good luck!

We did that too. Got the OBC and stayed in our lower class cabin

In May we were not able to keep our cabin. We had an aft wrap and those sold out quickly. All other categories were dropping in price but of course we could not see anything for the wraps. The suites finally came down to $650 per person less than what we paid. We wanted to get the price drop and keep the aft but were told we could not. We asked a couple different times. We had to move to the suite because we just could not pass up $1300 in OBC and the suite was really nice anyway. Maybe things are changing or maybe Carnival just wanted the aft.

Can someone please help in explaining this a little more? I think I am just confused. Here is my scenario. We booked OV deck 6 on the Imagination, and OV deck 7 is selling for the same price. Is this the same kind of thing? Deck 6 OV is sold out. Thanks so much :o

Mrs. BDV

Can someone please help in explaining this a little more? I think I am just confused. Here is my scenario. We booked OV deck 6 on the Imagination, and OV deck 7 is selling for the same price. Is this the same kind of thing? Deck 6 OV is sold out. Thanks so much :o

Mrs. BDV

You should qualify to move up to deck 7 if you choose. All OV cabins on deck 7 of Imagination are equal or higher category than those on deck 6. Since it's the same price, you wouldn't get any OBC, but you could move up to the higher deck if you wanted to.

Okay here goes and I'll try to make this as simple as possible. We booked an 8f on lido deck using ES in August, day before yesterday we saw the price had dropped almost 200 dollars so I sent in the form and about 2 hrs later I had a reply that it was accepted. They took the price reduction off our total since we had not paid in full yet.

My mom then realized that the 8g 8p were lower than what we paid for the 8f so on the phone to the PVP and he said yes would could move up to either cat. Then he told us we could for 20pp more we could go up to the 8s so we weighted the pros and cons and because I planned on getting the wk long pass to the spa we moved. So in two days we went from an 8f to an 8s for 80 dollars more than what we paid to begin with before the price drop.

I hope I have not confused anyone and I have no idea what really happened but I am a happy cruiser today, but I was most impressed with the quick response to the form sent in kudos to CCL and our PVP.

As a side note our PVP said if the prices drop for the 8S then we can request OBC not for it to be applied to our final total. Not sure if this is true but we'll see.

As a previous poster said it never hurts to check all they can say is no .

Then he told us we could for 20pp more we could go up to the 8s so we weighted the pros and cons and because I planned on getting the wk long pass to the spa we moved. So in two days we went from an 8f to an 8s for 80 dollars more than what we paid to begin with before the price drop.

As a previous poster said it never hurts to check all they can say is no .

Just asking...

I thought that I had read on here previously that if you upgrade to a Spa cabin, then you don't get to use the spa at N/C.

Anyone?

Just asking...

I thought that I had read on here previously that if you upgrade to a Spa cabin, then you don't get to use the spa at N/C.

Anyone?

I have no idea but I will explain how I understand it since we were not upgraded thru carnival we paid to upgrade we get the use of the spa and all the other stuff you get for being in a spa cabin. If not I'm not going to be happy but I understood it to be if carnival upgraded you not if you paid for the upgrade. It would be like booking a spa cabin I think, I hope. Perhaps we did an upsell?

I belive Carnival uses a very scientific method to determine which Early Saver cruises get approved for their ES Price Drops and which do not. My understanding is that it involved a large dart board marked with alternating "Yes" and "No" sections and teh occassional "we'll get back to them".

I was recently approved for a larger price drop then we actually sent in, and our category was completely sold out. I have seen many cruisers denied when their categories were sold out.

Seriously, maybe John Heald has a dart board in his stateroom?

In May we were not able to keep our cabin. We had an aft wrap and those sold out quickly. All other categories were dropping in price but of course we could not see anything for the wraps. The suites finally came down to $650 per person less than what we paid. We wanted to get the price drop and keep the aft but were told we could not. We asked a couple different times. We had to move to the suite because we just could not pass up $1300 in OBC and the suite was really nice anyway. Maybe things are changing or maybe Carnival just wanted the aft.

Same thing happend to me with an Aft Wrap. Suited dropped lower than my AW and I was not able to get an OBC. I argued, but to no avail.

Loved the AW and was not giving it up:D

Got my response! I am in a cove on Dream which are sold out and I am matching to a higher cat balcony:

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. Your Early Saver request has been approved! Confirmations showing the rate adjustment have been issued to the email address provided.

If you have not paid your reservation in full, the final amount due for your cruise will be adjusted to reflect the difference.

If you have already paid for your cruise in full, you will receive the difference as on board credit to your Sail & Sign account.

Thank you again for choosing Carnival.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

Got my response! I am in a cove on Dream which are sold out and I am matching to a higher cat balcony:

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. Your Early Saver request has been approved! Confirmations showing the rate adjustment have been issued to the email address provided.

If you have not paid your reservation in full, the final amount due for your cruise will be adjusted to reflect the difference.

If you have already paid for your cruise in full, you will receive the difference as on board credit to your Sail & Sign account.

Thank you again for choosing Carnival.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

Thank you so much for letting us know! I imagine that the coves for our Breeze cruise will sell out, but now we know to be checking on the higher categories too. But we will definitely not move out of our cove.

I think the dartboard approach might be what is used. Or, there are just some categories, like the aft wraps, that they will make you upgrade out of to get the price. I still wonder if they would make us "upgrade" out of the PTs to match prices to an inside. With the uncertainty, we'll probably just stick with the 1A porthole.

Just asking...

Anyone?

I have no idea but I will explain how I understand it since we were not upgraded thru carnival we paid to upgrade we get the use of the spa and all the other stuff you get for being in a spa cabin. If not I'm not going to be happy but I understood it to be if carnival upgraded you not if you paid for the upgrade. It would be like booking a spa cabin I think, I hope. Perhaps we did an upsell?

Pretty sure that if you actually book that category, whether is an upsell or not, you will get the benefits. However, if you book a GTY and you are placed in one of the spa cabins you will not get the use of the spa for free.

Archived