Princess Pop Choir (My experience on Diamond Princess!)

Ashley8053

This might just show that a person can grow over the course of a year.

Perhaps she was a brand new staff member when you had her last year , GlobalGypsy, and this year she's more comfortable and able to loosen up so everyone had more fun!

(OR, it's a different Melissa :p )

I believe we were on the cruise 1 month apart. jkocpa in May '11 and we were there in June '11. Maybe she was getting tired of doing it by our cruise! :eek:

i was part of the first one last october on the grand. it could have been fun, but the other singers were very....serious, so i dropped out. interesting that you performed in the atrium. we were the opening act for bingo!

i was part of the first one last october on the grand. it could have been fun, but the other singers were very....serious, so i dropped out. interesting that you performed in the atrium. we were the opening act for bingo!

too funny I love it!! Those bingo people are serious. You're lucky they didn't boo you off the stage to get the games started! :D

Oh this is great, must get mom involved on our next cruise. Got her into a sing along at Crooners with the piano player so my tone deafness was not a problem there. She can sing, I will just lip synch. She tends to be bashful on trying such things.

Thanks for posting. It brought back lots of fun memories. I was singing along while watching. I did it on the Emerald in Jan 11 and I think the fellow who did ours was Mark. He was great and made it so much fun.

I was back on the Emerald in June 11 and there was a gal named Melissa doing it. She was such a task master and would not let us do the choregraphy. We had to concentrate on our singing. :rolleyes: I think we started with about 10 people and by the performance they were down to 6. I dropped out after the 2nd rehearsal because she took the fun right out of it. :(

Can't wait for my next cruise to try it again. But yes, for some of us regulars they need to change up the songs more often. :D

I was surprised to read this review of Melissa and the Pop Choir on the Emerald. I participated in the Pop Choir with Melissa in May on the Emerald and I thought she was fabulous as the choir director. I am not a singer, and was a little nervous about participating. She was so welcoming and instructive. She made it so much fun and we did do the choreography. It was lots of fun, a great way to meet people. I think that all of us who participated with Melissa on that cruise would agree that she was great. We laughed, danced, smiled, hugged, had a wonderful experience. I never thought about putting the concert on YouTube! But I will say that whenever I hear any of those songs, I break out in dance!

I was on the Emerald's April 2011 Transatlantic cruise, and it was Melissa's first cruise on the Emerald. We had a large group, we did do the choreography, and we all loved Melissa!

I did the Pop Choir on my recent CB cruise and it was absolutely the most fun ever! This was also my first solo cruise and being in the Pop Choir caused me to meet several very nice folks, who remained friends throughout the cruise. One group of 2 sisters and their brother adopted me and we danced till the wee hours most nights.

We ended up with seven in our PC group. Our director, Sam, was simply awesome. She had only been doing it a few weeks but was great. We had several people who dropped out, and I think most of those were folks who actually sang well and we weren't perfect enough. Our group had good singers but we were more intent on having fun. We did do choreography, but that was another reason a few gave for dropping out. I suggested to Sam that she prepare a copy of the songs with the various choreography directions on it and give that out instead. It will make it less threatening when you realize you don't have to memorize every 'step-touch'. She liked the idea. We shall see.

I agree that it would be nice to have some other songs. Three weeks later and I'm still singing Waterloo in my head. LOL

I also agree that Andy was a lot of fun. As a result of being in the Pop Choir I became friendly with Sam and got to party a bit with the CD crew and he was a lot of fun.

I highly recommend this activity. We performed in the Atrium and all three levels were packed with people. Just send my fan mail here. Thank you very much.

I was recently on the August 20th Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to Whittier on board the Diamond Princess and I took part in the "Princess Pop Choir". In case you haven't heard about this relatively new activity (I heard it's about 6 months old now), it is a choir made up of passengers on the ship who meet a few times over the course of the cruise to practice and rehearse popular songs, and then at the end of the cruise there is a big performance for everyone on the ship to come watch. On my cruise, we rehearsed 3 times (On both sea days, and on the afternoon after we left Ketchikan) and performed in the Atrium on the final sea day, August 26, as we were sailing into College Fjord. There was a pretty good amount of us (20+ or so?) and we had a great time learning 6 songs and choreography from our director, Marahscalh. We performed "Oh What A Night", "Waterloo", "Isn't She Lovely", "It's Not Unusual", "We Are The Champions" and "Sweet Caroline". If you have the opportunity and like to sing, I'd highly suggest you check it out on your next Princess Cruise.

In the meantime, you can watch our performance which I just put on YouTube this morning:

Enjoy!

Cool Experience.

I was wondering what ever happened to Marahscalh. He was the CD on our first Cruise. Way back when on the Carnival Paradise when it was non-Smoking and in the Caribbean.

Archived