Princess Pop Choir (My experience on Diamond Princess!)

Ashley8053

I was recently on the August 20th Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to Whittier on board the Diamond Princess and I took part in the "Princess Pop Choir". In case you haven't heard about this relatively new activity (I heard it's about 6 months old now), it is a choir made up of passengers on the ship who meet a few times over the course of the cruise to practice and rehearse popular songs, and then at the end of the cruise there is a big performance for everyone on the ship to come watch. On my cruise, we rehearsed 3 times (On both sea days, and on the afternoon after we left Ketchikan) and performed in the Atrium on the final sea day, August 26, as we were sailing into College Fjord. There was a pretty good amount of us (20+ or so?) and we had a great time learning 6 songs and choreography from our director, Marahscalh. We performed "Oh What A Night", "Waterloo", "Isn't She Lovely", "It's Not Unusual", "We Are The Champions" and "Sweet Caroline". If you have the opportunity and like to sing, I'd highly suggest you check it out on your next Princess Cruise.

In the meantime, you can watch our performance which I just put on YouTube this morning:

Enjoy!

Hi Ashley

Thanx for sharing. My niece and I participated in the Choir In Feb. on the Crown. We had a great director whose name was Christopher and he was from Australia. We had a blast. Would do it again in a heartbeat! Fun way to meet a few guests and no pressure to be a super vocalist. Just have fun. I agree a few new songs would be nice though.

Cheers Louden

Thanks for posting. It brought back lots of fun memories. I was singing along while watching. I did it on the Emerald in Jan 11 and I think the fellow who did ours was Mark. He was great and made it so much fun.

I was back on the Emerald in June 11 and there was a gal named Melissa doing it. She was such a task master and would not let us do the choregraphy. We had to concentrate on our singing. :rolleyes: I think we started with about 10 people and by the performance they were down to 6. I dropped out after the 2nd rehearsal because she took the fun right out of it. :(

Can't wait for my next cruise to try it again. But yes, for some of us regulars they need to change up the songs more often. :D

Thanks for posting. It brought back lots of fun memories. I was singing along while watching. I did it on the Emerald in Jan 11 and I think the fellow who did ours was Mark. He was great and made it so much fun.

I was back on the Emerald in June 11 and there was a gal named Melissa doing it. She was such a task master and would not let us do the choregraphy. We had to concentrate on our singing. :rolleyes: I think we started with about 10 people and by the performance they were down to 6. I dropped out after the 2nd rehearsal because she took the fun right out of it. :(

Can't wait for my next cruise to try it again. But yes, for some of us regulars they need to change up the songs more often. :D

More often? LOL. They haven't changed at all.

Thanks so much for posting the video. I tried and tried to get my daughter and her best friend to participate last December on the Crown Princess but they wouldn't budge from the sun in order to get to the practices. I was SO disappointed because they are incredibly talented (part of an acapella group that has sung at the Vatican and all around Italy!). I think they would have had a blast. Thanks again for sharing! It looks like it is a really great time.

SO appreciate your taking the time to post this video! Going on our first ever Princess cruise on the Diamond to China in a couple weeks and hope they have this pop choir activity as both DH and I would love to participate!

I was surprised to read this review of Melissa and the Pop Choir on the Emerald. I participated in the Pop Choir with Melissa in May on the Emerald and I thought she was fabulous as the choir director. I am not a singer, and was a little nervous about participating. She was so welcoming and instructive. She made it so much fun and we did do the choreography. It was lots of fun, a great way to meet people. I think that all of us who participated with Melissa on that cruise would agree that she was great. We laughed, danced, smiled, hugged, had a wonderful experience. I never thought about putting the concert on YouTube! But I will say that whenever I hear any of those songs, I break out in dance!

I was surprised to read this review of Melissa and the Pop Choir on the Emerald. I participated in the Pop Choir with Melissa in May on the Emerald and I thought she was fabulous as the choir director. I am not a singer, and was a little nervous about participating. She was so welcoming and instructive. She made it so much fun and we did do the choreography. It was lots of fun, a great way to meet people. I think that all of us who participated with Melissa on that cruise would agree that she was great. We laughed, danced, smiled, hugged, had a wonderful experience. I never thought about putting the concert on YouTube! But I will say that whenever I hear any of those songs, I break out in dance!

That's funny we each had such different experiences with Melissa. She was constantly correcting people on how they were singing. Frankly, she was quite bossy. :( Nobody wants to be chastised in front of the group - it's not American Idol and she was acting like Simon Cowel. :eek:

Maybe you had a better group of singers on your cruise! ;) And like I mentioned, "no choreography" for us. We were incapable of singing and dancing at the same time! LOL

That's funny we each had such different experiences with Melissa. She was constantly correcting people on how they were singing. Frankly, she was quite bossy. :( Nobody wants to be chastised in front of the group - it's not American Idol and she was acting like Simon Cowel. :eek:

Maybe you had a better group of singers on your cruise! ;) And like I mentioned, "no choreography" for us. We were incapable of singing and dancing at the same time! LOL

This might just show that a person can grow over the course of a year.

Perhaps she was a brand new staff member when you had her last year , GlobalGypsy, and this year she's more comfortable and able to loosen up so everyone had more fun!

(OR, it's a different Melissa :p )

We watched part of the performance on CB this summer. Asst. CD Any directed it. It was wonderful. We had so much fun watching, we were a bit late for dinner! Andy was such a fun guy the entire cruise, so it sure looked as though they picked the right person to lead the group.

What a nice activity.

Ohiodoglover

Archived