Quick question - porthole cabins on Monarch

A friend of mine sailed on a different ship (maybe different line, as well) and he warned me that the portholes weren't just round windows. They were very thick glass and kind of hard to see through because of the distortion. Is that usually the case? I'd like to be lower in the ship, but not if I can't see out.

You will be able to see out the porthole. There may be some slight distortion but it's not bad. Depending on the cabin location, you will probably get some salt spray, but they do wash the windows every couple of days. I sailed on Monarch deck 2 for my first cruise. Just FYI - deck 2 is about eye-level to people when the ship is docked. You might want to keep your curtains closed when in port if you don't want people to look in on you. We learned that the hard way. :o

We just sailed the Monarch on deck 2. We were mid ship and had no distortion. (Can’t answer for cabins on the “slant” towards the front of the ship) We had a great view out and liked being so close to the water. We’ve never had a cabin on this deck but did not mind it. If fact, it was really convenient coming back from port.

We were not far from eye level with the second level of the tender, and the tender was stopped right by our window.:)

On deck 3 you shouldn't have the "peeping Toms" and there should be less spray. I thought deck 3 had windows instead of portholes, but I just checked the deck plans for Monarch and it does say portholes on decks 2 & 3. Midship is convenient and has less sway than forward/aft or the upper decks. Have fun on your cruise!

Archived