Confuse with MIA area, please help

CRUISING71

From reading all the posts in Florida, I am a little confused. Some advices to stay in Biscayne area to be close to the port, but some said stay in Blue Lagoon area.

Which area is easy and cheap cab ride to Port? And have resturants nearby?

How far is South Beach to Port area?

South Beach is about a 15 to 20 minute drive.

It will be a little noisier than say some of the other areas but has a beach and a lot of night life.

Not sure your price range but take a look at the Intercontinental, downtown Marriott and Marriott Marquis and Hyatt just to name a few. It will be about a 10 minute taxi drive from most of these hotels to the Port of Miami and there are restaurants in walking distance.

Keith

We are a family of 4, 2 kids and 2 adults, our budget is $ 150 to $ 225 a night. Is this a reasonable budget?

That depends upon when you are cruising :confused: - winter months through Easter are when prices are highest; summer in Miami can be very cheap!

Blue Lagoon is a residential and office park area close to the MIA airport; this is a good choice if your flight is arriving later in the day and all you really want is dinner and a clean room. There are lots of hotels here to choose from (Hampton Inn, Sofitel, Homewood Suites and others) - all with free airport shuttles and shopping and dining options within walking distance. Most can arrange for shuttle service to POM for $10 per person, or you can cab it for under $30 per cab. The ride to POM will take about 15 or so minutes. A taxi to South Beach from any Blue Lagoon area hotel will cost $30+ each way. :eek:

There are a couple of very nice hotels located in the downtown Miami area, very close to POM, on Biscayne Bay - Marriott and Doubletree. These two hotels offer some rooms with a port view (a great way to wake up the morning of your cruise! :D), and there is shopping for last minute items available in the covered areas connecting these two hotels with nearby condo buildings. The restaurant in the lobby of the Doubletree is very good and both hotels offer great pools. Other downtown hotels to compare include the Hyatt and the Intercontinental - these two are closer to Bayside Market where you will find several chain dining options (Hooters, Bubba Gump, Hard Rock, Chilis, etc.). A taxi to any downtown hotel from MIA will cost about $25+tip and another $10-12 cab will get you to POM the next day.

South Beach is the area of Miami Beach closest to POM with great dining, nightlife, shopping and people watching. Hotels here tend to be older, more expensive & with smaller rooms, but the atmosphere can be a lot of fun. A taxi from MIA to South Beach should cost about $32+ and another $15 or so will get you to POM the next day.

Good luck! :)

South Beach is the area of Miami Beach closest to POM with great dining, nightlife, shopping and people watching. Hotels here tend to be older, more expensive & with smaller rooms, but the atmosphere can be a lot of fun. A taxi from MIA to South Beach should cost about $32+ and another $15 or so will get you to POM the next day.

I am staying on South Beach in 31 days, precruise at the Marriott South OP. I am a federal government employee and got a great rate. Make sure you check for any discount rates you may be eligible for. I've never stayed there before but can come back & let you know how it is if you'd like. Its on the beach and about a 10 min walk to the action of SB I'm told. Close enough to be fun but far enough away to be quiet.

JohninDC. Is this a current price for taxi's from SB to POM? I'm trying to budget for this and wasn't sure of the cost. We will need a van since we are 5 woman. Last time I was in Miami (Nov 2010), I was charged $10 per person for a taxi not the taxi fare but I was at the Best Western on the Bay. Not sure if this is the norm for POM transport.

Without any judgments and because the OP has two children (no ages listed) I want to mention that South Beach has a large homosexual population. Some hotels are less family friendly.

I took the time to talk to my children (at the time, my son was 11 and my daughter 10) before visiting. We are from a rural area and they had never been exposed to this before.

When I reserved in South Beach I had no idea. I work friend mentioned it and I was glad to have had the conversation before and prepped the kids a bit.

The beach is lovely as are all the old art deco style buildings. I would stay again if arriving early enough the day before to enjoy it. If not, stay by the airport.

JohninDC. Is this a current price for taxi's from SB to POM? I'm trying to budget for this and wasn't sure of the cost. We will need a van since we are 5 woman. Last time I was in Miami (Nov 2010), I was charged $10 per person for a taxi not the taxi fare but I was at the Best Western on the Bay. Not sure if this is the norm for POM transport.

Here's a link from the Miami airport with estimated and flat rate taxi fares:

http://www.miami-airport.com/hotel_shuttles.asp

I travel to Miami 1-2 times per year on business, not cruising :mad:, and these rates are accurate, but there are a few shifty cab drivers out there. :( If you are going to South Beach where the $32+tip flat rate applies, your best bet is to snap a picture of the cab # with your phone, and then, as you are getting in, ask "The flat rate fare to SB still applies, correct?" The rates should also be posted inside the cab. I've never travelled to Miami with 5, but the SUV and Mini-van cabs should be the same fare.

Here's a link from the Miami airport with estimated and flat rate taxi fares:

http://www.miami-airport.com/hotel_shuttles.asp

I travel to Miami 1-2 times per year on business, not cruising :mad:, and these rates are accurate, but there are a few shifty cab drivers out there. :( If you are going to South Beach where the $32+tip flat rate applies, your best bet is to snap a picture of the cab # with your phone, and then, as you are getting in, ask "The flat rate fare to SB still applies, correct?" The rates should also be posted inside the cab. I've never travelled to Miami with 5, but the SUV and Mini-van cabs should be the same fare.

I'm sorry JohninDC. I was asking for the cab from SB to the POM. I am flying into FLL so I have SAS transport me to the hotel. I need a taxi from the hotel to the port. In November when I came in precruise, the taxi to the port in the morning is what charged me $10 per person so it ended up costing me $50 plus tip for my family of 5. That surprised me. I'm not sure if this is the norm taxi's charge to cruise passengers or if they suppose to be a flat or metered rate. Looking at that chart, it gives from MIA to all those areas, but not South Beach to POM. Not sure how else to get the answer to this question

I hope I didn't confuse you more :confused:

I'm sorry JohninDC. I was asking for the cab from SB to the POM. I am flying into FLL so I have SAS transport me to the hotel. I need a taxi from the hotel to the port. In November when I came in precruise, the taxi to the port in the morning is what charged me $10 per person so it ended up costing me $50 plus tip for my family of 5. That surprised me. I'm not sure if this is the norm taxi's charge to cruise passengers or if they suppose to be a flat or metered rate. Looking at that chart, it gives from MIA to all those areas, but not South Beach to POM. Not sure how else to get the answer to this question

I hope I didn't confuse you more :confused:

You were overcharged if you paid per person. It's not a flat rate to the POM from S. Beach hotels, but your bill shouldn't be more than $30 top. Did the hotel door man call the "cab"? It actually sounds like you took a SHUTTLE service, not a cab. Thus the per person rate. 5 people and luggage wouldn't fit in a normal cab. But perhaps, if not too much luggage, would in a SUV cab. If not, a shuttle or two cabs was your only choice.

You were overcharged if you paid per person. It's not a flat rate to the POM from S. Beach hotels, but your bill shouldn't be more than $30 top. Did the hotel door man call the "cab"? It actually sounds like you took a SHUTTLE service, not a cab. Thus the per person rate. 5 people and luggage wouldn't fit in a normal cab. But perhaps, if not too much luggage, would in a SUV cab. If not, a shuttle or two cabs was your only choice.

I just seem to be confusing everyone....so sorry:confused:.

Last year when I was charged the $50 ($10 per person) I was at the Best Western on the Bay. Yes, I told the front desk to call me a cab for 5 people and a minivan cab showed up. It was a cab, it had the marking and it had a meter but he never turned it on. I asked the driver how much and he said $10 per person, I didn't know any better. I paid it (and tipped him too :mad:).

This year, October, I'm staying in South Beach and now I want to know what to expect. Should I expect to pay per person from the Marriott South Beach to the Port of Miami, is it a flat fee or will they run the meter? I'm trying to budget with my friends and just want to have an idea on what we are going to pay so we can add it to our budget.

Does that make sense now :D

Thank you so much for all the great advices.

After much reading, we have decided to stay in FLL instead of MIA.We will use SAS to transfer from FLL to port and port to FLL. I think one way is $ 15 right?

I think it is much easier to get in and out of FLL, plus hotel was cheaper and we want to use the water taxi to get around, thought that was cool.

I just seem to be confusing everyone....so sorry:confused:.

This year, October, I'm staying in South Beach and now I want to know what to expect. Should I expect to pay per person from the Marriott South Beach to the Port of Miami, is it a flat fee or will they run the meter? I'm trying to budget with my friends and just want to have an idea on what we are going to pay so we can add it to our budget.

Does that make sense now :D

From your hotel to POM will be on the meter - you can enter the address of your hotel into the site below to estimate your fare: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Miami

The front desk can call a cab for you - specify a mini-van cab, not a shuttle service. Good luck! :)

From your hotel to POM will be on the meter - you can enter the address of your hotel into the site below to estimate your fare: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Miami

The front desk can call a cab for you - specify a mini-van cab, not a shuttle service. Good luck! :)

Thank you for the link John. Just what I needed. By that with tip it shows about $25. I will make sure I specify I want a taxi and not a shuttle and if the driver says per person, I'm telling him to go away...:D

Archived