Brief pre cruise Budapest report

ann1bell

I have been in Budapest since Sept. 6 and will board the Amalyra on the 11th. We have had a wonderful time. We have done this independently, getting more bang for our buck. We are staying in the Opera Garden Hotel,a small boutique hotel. It has been outstanding. All rooms have kitchenettes and are quite comfortable. The beds are great and there is air conditioning that works quite well. There is also a very fine breakfast included, free internet, and the front desk personnel are most helpful. We thought we might have problems communicating but many people here speak fine English. The area near the hotel has many very nice restaurants. We have seen the Opera House, the 2 famous churches, the secret underground hospital. We have taken the evening boat tour and the half day city tour.We have learned to use the subway system with no problems. All in all, we will be sad to leave this great city..but we know there is more to anticipate as we board the Amalyra on Sunday. I will try to check in to answer any questions anyone might have. I will do a full report at the end of our visit.

Two must do things in Budapest are to go to an actual Opera in the magnificent Opera House . They run 2 - 3 evening performances each week with different Operas on each evening . For the complete Opera experience dine beforehand at Cafe Callas to the immediate left out front of the Opera House .

Second must do is the spine chilling Museum of Terror on Andrassy . This former Secret Service HQ reveals all . The final lift ride down has a jolt that brings you back to reality, very thankful that the Iron Curtain came down in 1989 .

The hotel is on the Pest side..on a pedestrian street about 5 minutes from the Opera House. The metro is there at the opera house. We have used it a lot. have had no trouble. Happy travels!

PS . we got a larger standard room for 1ö9 euros a night. We have saved some money by using the kitchen some. I will not eat all my meal but will take a doggy bag back to hotel..lunch the next day.

Archived