I am opposed to Princess’s tipping policy.

terrierjohn

I think it’s a bit presumptuous to infer that Princess is skimming from the tip pool…in order to keep its passengers happy, the cruise line needs to have staff that is relatively happy working on board. I don’t think skimming from the tip pool would make the staff happy. If Princess is doing this, they’ve got some ludicrous business practices.

My personal opinion is that anyone who thinks $10 a day is too much to tip, and has the nerve to remove the auto-tip when they know the ramifications of doing so, is a skin-flint and should not cruise at all. These people probably don't tip at in their home cities either. This is really my one peeve-people who want excellent service but are too stingy to pay for it. You wanna play, then pay! (flame on-I don't care!)

Sorry guy, I had to jump in here to give ya my 2cents, What your waiter didnt tell ya was that he has to give half this cash to pay other helpers around the ship, you think that a Cabin steward can clean 60 cabins before 10am, no, they get help from decks below to assist them, that tip money goes to those helpers, as for the Waiters they too have to do Lido Buffet deck duties, you dont see them because they have help doing that job for them while they rest. Those helpers get some of that tip money too. What ever is left over which isnt much goes to the families.

The 50.00 isnt for every 10 days, its Monthly and thats only covers their tolietries and food runs when they are off the ship.

I think $10 a day is pretty cheep for what you get!
That, of course, depends on where you're coming from. It's an outrage if you've already paid for what you're getting via the cruise fare.

One of the great benefits of auto-tipping (or firm guidelines) is for those of us who come from places where we would not normally think of tipping staff in these contexts - this way, we know that we are indeed expected to tip, and told how much is expected. Otherwise, we'd be all at sea.

Last summer one travel website posted letters from some of their customers who had sailed during the hurricanes. Many of them received extra days at sea and mentioned that they and many of their fellow passengers made it a point of adding to their tips as the crew members were continuing to work for them. We have never taken back our tips or tried to stiff the waiters or room steward or kids staff. Many of them have families that are literally living off those tips.

I have no clue how much the wait staff and room stewards make - but I can tell you that no amount of money would get me to work 7 days a week, 12 plus hours per day for 6 months with no days off. I really have no clue how these people do it. They deserve every dime they earn!

It is amazing the lenghts of justification some people go through to make their cheap a*s feel like they are in the right.
Have you ever broadened your horizons by living somewhere in which you aren't expected to tip, or even where you're expected not to tip?

I have no clue how much the wait staff and room stewards make - but I can tell you that no amount of money would get me to work 7 days a week, 12 plus hours per day for 6 months with no days off. I really have no clue how these people do it. They deserve every dime they earn!

I agree - well said.

As has previously been mentioned, your calculations do not include all tipped employees. Also flawed however are your figures of how many tables waiters cover and how many cabins steward cover. The steward have MORE than 10 cabins, and the waiters typically handle more than 14 people. In my experience, waiters typically have between 18-24 people. Instead of assuming Princess is skimming, perhaps we should really be upset that tipping is required at all, instead of converting to a NO TIP policy and making the price of the cruise enough to cover the tip. That would ensure the "no tip" people would not be a factor. I think that it must have some thing to do with how income must be reported in the employees country. Perhaps they have only to claim their "salary". If so, tips would be exempt. Just a thought.

Have you ever broadened your horizons by living somewhere in which you aren't expected to tip, or even where you're expected not to tip?

I for one am quite happy with where I live.

Perhaps you need to broaden your horizons. Your argument is based upon the customs of your country and what you are used to. The problem is your are travelling on a U.S. cruiseline and tipping is expected. If it is such an issue find a cruiseline where it is not expected.

I'm not saying one way is right and another wrong but the saying "when in rome" applies here.

Scott

I have spent time un the UK and had no problem adapting to the no tip environment - but "When in Rome do as the Romans Do"

Ron

And thinking about all of that time without the people they love -

It seems as if a lot of people are tipping because they feel sorry for the staff. I am curious about that. I tip for good service, not because I feel guilty that they are living without their families. They did choose these jobs afterall, and the servers that I talked to really like their jobs. I asked them about leaving their countries and families and many of them said the same thing: "I wanted to be on the ships." I found that very interesting and stopped feeling sorry for them, which is not to say that I stopped appreciating them. It's interesting--when you stop feeling sorry for people, you show them more respect, and who wouldn't want more respect?

This is an interesting topic, but I really have to say to the OP--if you don't want to tip, then don't tip. Princess an American-owned company, and Americans are generous and love to tip. Suit yourself, but let us tip.

[quote name='CariBlue']It seems as if a lot of people are tipping because they feel sorry for the staff. I am curious about that. I tip for good service, not because I feel guilty that they are living without their families. [/QUOTE]

Good point!

[quote name='ahracer']Perhaps you need to broaden your horizons. Your argument is based upon the customs of your country and what you are used to. The problem is your are travelling on a U.S. cruiseline and tipping is expected. If it is such an issue find a cruiseline where it is not expected.

I'm not saying one way is right and another wrong but the saying "when in rome" applies here.[/QUOTE]Which is why I've always said that when on cruise ships I will do as I'm expected to.

And in the context of auto-tipping, I said above that I'm grateful for the guidance given by the auto-tipping policy, when I wrote:-[quote name='Globaliser']One of the great benefits of auto-tipping (or firm guidelines) is for those of us who come from places where we would not normally think of tipping staff in these contexts - this way, we know that we are indeed expected to tip, and told how much is expected. Otherwise, we'd be all at sea.[/quote]My response was aimed at the gratuitously offensive remark made by doliver who may not have taken the time to read what I'd written, and not at those who do understand that people who don't live in a tipping culture aren't automatically "cheap asses".

[quote name='CariBlue']This is an interesting topic, but I really have to say to the OP--if you don't want to tip, then don't tip. Princess an American-owned company, and Americans are generous and love to tip. Suit yourself, but let us tip.[/QUOTE]

Let's not get too harsh on the OP. Customs are different, and jingoistic reactions won't get us anywhere. I've been to places where people literally had to be bribed up front to do their jobs - it's just the way things are done.

The simple fact, fair or not, is that crew members on ships receive the majority of their pay through gratuities. Until that changes, and I am one that wishes the system would be changed, tipping is expected on Princess.

Incidentally, tipping is by some accounts a British custom, and is still practiced in the UK, just not to the degree it is in the US. As for Americans "loving" to tip, I disagree. Look at the hue and cry over the "service charge" that is assessed by NCL-America, as part of their requirements to provide a salary. I think we, in America, have been extorted into tipping. Why do we tip salaried, union members at the pier when they already have all the benefits and job security they can demand, and do little more than move your bags into a box to be sent aboard the ship?

I think we should spend some time thinking about why we tip and why others find our customs excessive. We aren't tipping for good service or extra attention above the normal call of duty most of the time.

[quote name='spongerob'] Why do we tip salaried, union members at the pier when they already have all the benefits and job security they can demand, and do little more than move your bags into a box to be sent aboard the ship?

[/QUOTE]

Why? Because in preparing for my very first cruise, I read some advice for newbies that suggested that my bags might just disappear if I didn't cross the palm with some green stuff.

Anybody know if that's really true? I'm afraid to tempt fate.

[quote name='spongerob']
Incidentally, tipping is by some accounts a British custom, and is still practiced in the UK, just not to the degree it is in the US. As for Americans "loving" to tip, I disagree. Look at the hue and cry over the "service charge" that is assessed by NCL-America, as part of their requirements to provide a salary. I think we, in America, have been extorted into tipping. Why do we tip salaried, union members at the pier when they already have all the benefits and job security they can demand, and do little more than move your bags into a box to be sent aboard the ship?

I think we should spend some time thinking about why we tip and why others find our customs excessive. We aren't tipping for good service or extra attention above the normal call of duty most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, if you don't want to tip, then don't tip. I've spent lots of time on the East Coast, where it seemed tipping was an art form. That was where the comment "Americans love to tip" came from. I guess there are lots of people who don't like to do it. To each his own!

I'm really surprised by the opposition to tipping. I'm one of the most frugal people I know, and tipping doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm not the Frugalist of Frugals afterall!:)

I must admit that I was absolutely furious AT FIRST when I heard about the auto-tipping at Princess. I felt as though they might as well just increase the price of the cruise by $10 a day instead of automatically billing us for the tips. After all, aren't tips supposed to be what you offer in response to excellent, above-and-beyond service? At any land-based establishment, tips are not automatically billed to you; you tip at your own discretion.

Then I thought about it. Maybe if I just use the mind-set that we're paying the balance of the cruise price ($10 per person per day) in our on-board accounts, it won't "hurt" so much. And that would also free me up to give a little extra tip to anyone who really does go above-and-beyond. For someone who has spent her life pinching most of her pennies, this mind-set really does help!

(Yes, I admit it. I'm a skin-flint! But due to some very serious life-altering experiences we've had recently - cancer - we don't sweat the small stuff anymore. And we plan on living life to the fullest. Believe me - this tipping issue really is just small stuff!)

Trust me, CariBlue, when it comes to tipping I'm a George. I have no problem at all tipping in those circumstances where it is appropriate and deserved, and probably share your opinion of those who stiff service people just because they can.

All I am saying, in deference to our friends from other countries, is that we should try to objectively evaluate when, why, and how much we tip. They raise some good questions, and do not deserve to be attacked simply for stating a differing point of view. I think most are simply trying to understand, not looking for an excuse to be cheap.

[b][color=green]We spoke to the crew about how much they make a month working on the ship. It is minimal. The $10.00 a day did not bother us as we looked at it as part of the cruise price. We tipped the room stewart $20.00 at the beginning of the cruise and get exceptional service, not just the great service that they deliver. At Traditional dinner seating we tipped $10.00 the first time we brought wine to the table and never paid a corkage fee the whole cruise. I did not purchase a soda card. We did tip the good bartenders. When I did order a soda they never charged me for it. In the long run, I felt that we came out ahead.[/color][/b]

Archived