Rough Seas to Bermuda?

DeRon

We may be going on the Veendam next month to Bermuda. Are the seas rough normally from NY to Bermuda?

Thanks!

We have only been to Bermuda once. The seas were rough leaving and coming back to NY Harbor.The second day at sea was fine. I do not know if that is always the case!!

We may be going on the Veendam next month to Bermuda. Are the seas rough normally from NY to Bermuda?

Thanks!

No way to know for sure beforehand. We've departed NY under very "bouncy" conditions and 3 days later on the return you couldn't even tell the ship was moving!

I get seasick with the slightest movements of the ship. Bonine taken daily is my best friend onboard!

You are in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean, and the north Atlantic does tend to be rougher than more southern waters. Take Bonine starting a day or 2 before your cruise and then daily thereafter and you should be fine. I get seasick without it, especially the first day or 2, but Bonine is terrific and I'm fine when I take it religiously.

Thanks!

Predicting sea conditions in the Atlantic is probably only slightly easier than picking the winning lotto numbers. Now we've never sailed out of New York but we've been in and out of Ft Lauderdale a couple of dozen times and we've had everything from smooth as glass to full fledged roller coaster. I won't go as far as to say we expect the worse but we're always happy when it's relatively calm.

We sailed to Bermuda twice, once in October on the Horizon and hit a hurricane going down and a tropical storm returning. Needless to say, it was rough. Shows were cancelled and obviously the outside decks were closed. Still had fun. Now I know why it was only $1800 for 4. We did a repeat Bermuda cruise on the Zenith a few years later in July and it was as if we were on a lake. The ship will do fine but you are out in the Atlantic with no protection. Just be prepared for seasickness.

Once on each of my first two Bermuda cruises it was rough going by Cape Hatteras, but those were on smaller ships (25,000 ton range). The last time was on the larger ship Veendam, and it wasn't a problem in either direction.

YMMV.

Archived