Wonder what would happen

David_S

Was just think, I wonder what would happen if you went on cruise, decided you like the island and just never got back on the ship. I've always wanted to live on an island.

LOL that is what John Seery did on Grand Turk. Except he was not on a cruise. He was building the cruise port.

He now owns Jack's Shack on Grand Turk and it semi-retired only opening when a ship is in port.

from Jack's Shack website ..http://www.jacksshack.tc/About.php

Jack's Shack is the culmination of Jack's career in waterfront construction around the world. Jack's last marine construction project was the Grand Turk Cruise port. He meet Janet and stayed on island - the rest is history. Jack found his slice of paradise and wants all of you to enjoy it as well. The fantasy of a mojito hut on the beach came to reality when he teamed up a local diving company to build a new dive shop along the best beach in Grand Turk within walking distance of the new cruise terminal. Setting up the tiki hut on a spacious deck, he was instantly ready to serve cold drinks in a relaxing atmosphere. Janet, a relocated Canadian nurse, brought the crowds with her lavish pours and great personality. Together they enjoy sharing their island stories with the cruise ship passengers willing to venture out along the sandy beach to

We talked about this on the ship and were told there is a $300 fine paid for by the line and if they can get it from the cruiser, the cruiser.

My niece does this all the time. She lives in Grand Cayman and hates to fly. She just books a cruise and gets off. Never had to pay the fine yet.

Was just think, I wonder what would happen if you went on cruise, decided you like the island and just never got back on the ship. I've always wanted to live on an island.

DH and I are going to live on an island when we retire. We don't know where yet, but I'm always researching. I've imagined that scenario... "honey, I really like it here, let's just stay." Ah, to dream. :D

We talked about this on the ship and were told there is a $300 fine paid for by the line and if they can get it from the cruiser, the cruiser.

My niece does this all the time. She lives in Grand Cayman and hates to fly. She just books a cruise and gets off. Never had to pay the fine yet.

There is no fine if you get off and stay in a foreign port.

This is info on Carnival one way passage options

We will allow U.S. citizens and Non U.S. citizens to book one-way cruises; it is imperative that they have proper proof of citizenship or they will be denied boarding.

We will not permit Non-U.S, non-booked guests who wish to board in a port-of-call to purchase one-way passage to the United States.

U.S. citizens and Non-U.S. citizens, who miss the ship and want to join at a port-of-call, may do so as long as it does not conflict with the Jones Act/Passenger Service Act. This applies only to guests who were previously booked.

IMPORTANT NOTE: For guests sailing on a one-way basis, whether by choice or by unexpected circumstance, it is the guest's responsibility to check with Immigrations and/or the air carrier being used to determine the travel documentation necessary to enter or exit that country. A valid passport and/or visas may be required.

Booking Procedures and Policies

One-Way Cruise: Non-Pro-Rated Fare

* A full fare one-way cruise (Non-Pro-Rated) can be booked at any time prior to the cruise.

* Once the booking has been made, document the "Booking Comment Line" that the guest(s) are sailing one-way and at which port they will be embarking and debarking.

* Contact the Guest Services Sailing Support agent for that specific ship and advise them of the one-way status for this booking.

One-Way Cruise: Pro-Rated Fare

* A pro-rated one-way cruise can only be booked the week of sailing.

* Guest Solutions will contact Guest Services Sailing Support who will authorize the one-way booking based on availability and quote a rate.

* Guest Solutions will enter the manual rate on the booking

* Once the booking has been made, document the "Booking Comment Line" that the guest(s) are sailing one-way and at which port they will be embarking and debarking.

* Contact the Guest Services Sailing Support agent for that specific ship and advise them of the one-way status for this booking.

I believe you are referring to the Jones Act...this law prohibits passenegers from embarking at one US Port and then disembarking at a different US port since the ship is a foreign ship. And by disembarking, they mean getting off the ship for good (not just getting off for an excursion or 2 and then getting back on and continuing the cruise). So, your niece is fine getting off and staying at GC...and cruising there is much more enjoyable than flying there anyway!:) Now- if she getting off in Puerto Rico- that would be a different story...;)

Here is a blurb from the Carnival website:

Jones Act

Federal Law prohibits travel between two contiguous U.S. ports. For example, you cannot board the ship in New Orleans and then debark in Tampa. Such travel would constitute point to point transportation between two U.S. ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Any guest who insists on debarking under these circumstances accepts responsibility for any and all resulting penalties.

OH YEAH! This seriously crossed my mind when I was at Half Moon Cay. I though...could I live in one of these buildings? Maybe I could sell things to make money..just live on the beach..:cool:but then, back to reality

Now- if she getting off in Puerto Rico- that would be a different story...;)

PR is actually an exception

From Carnival FAQ

Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act)

Federal Law prohibits ships on Non-U.S. registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S. ports. or example, you cannot board the ship in New Orleans and then debark in Tampa. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S. ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Any guests who insists on debarking under these circumstances accepts responsibility for any and all resulting penalties.

NOTE: Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S. ports under this act.

I always think, "Nice place to visit. Wouldn't want to live here."

My sister lived in St. Thomas twice (about a decade each time) and still owns a home there. She chooses to live in Maine...even during winter. Hmmmmm.

Granted, not everyplace is as commercial and full of crime as St. Thomas, but her experiences (and mine when I visited there for a week) make me want to keep my residence stateside. ;)

Has she ever had the ship re-routed?

DH and I are going to live on an island when we retire. We don't know where yet, but I'm always researching. I've imagined that scenario... "honey, I really like it here, let's just stay." Ah, to dream. :D

You must be young. When you get to retirement age one of the first considerations is where is the nearest "good" hospital. Of course there is a lot more to consider and I hope someday you find what you want.

Archived