on board medical charges

hmer23

I think it's a case by case basis. MAKE sure that you know what it will cost BEFORE you use their medical facilities. They can drop some serious charges on you for routine medical things.

Good advice!!! One time on Holland America I asked if there was a charge just to check my blood pressure. They told me $60.00. That was enough to CAUSE my blood pressure to go up! LOL. I said I just wanted my blood pressure taken, not a blood TEST! Needless to say, I declined and never returned! Highway robbery on the high seas.

We are due to go on a cruise shortly but I had to undergo an emergency surgical procedure which will still require dressings to be changed daily when we cruise (for a few months probably!). I've been in touch with Royal Caribbean Special Services and they have confirmed they are able to do this for me in the medical centre for a fee. Does anyone know where I can find their scale of charges?

Thanks for your help

From what I have read on CC, the cost for medical on a cruise ship is outrageous.

Might be cheaper to just take a personal nurse with you on the cruise.:eek:

FYI...I purchased trip insurance, not cruise line, covering all

sorts of medical including helicopter evac and flights home if needed.

Think it was about $70.

Didn't have to use it but made me feel more

relaxed while descending steep Mayan Ruin stairs

in the middle of the jungle.

Cheap insurance if you do any active excursions.

Just my opinion.

...but here's to our health!

:cool::D

Walk into any emergency room in the U.S. and I doubt that you would get out with less than a $500.00 minimum charge. There are not many vacations that one can take where medical facilities like those found on a cruise ship are just an elevator ride away. Creating, maintaining, and keeping those facilities stocked is far from inexpensive. Maybe people think the price should be equivelent to dinner at Chops?

Good advice!!! One time on Holland America I asked if there was a charge just to check my blood pressure. They told me $60.00. That was enough to CAUSE my blood pressure to go up! LOL. I said I just wanted my blood pressure taken, not a blood TEST! Needless to say, I declined and never returned! Highway robbery on the high seas.

And what were you going to do with the information after you got it? For the most part anyone whose blood pressure is significantly out of control that they can't go 1-2 weeks without a check and adjustments to medicine probably should not be out at sea on a ship. And if the problem was concerning enough I'd fork over the $60.00. I'm sure that 2000 people deciding that they want their BP checked while on a cruise just because they have some free time is just what the medical facility needs. And I have no doubt that the pricing is to help counter those types of abuses of the system.

Walk into any emergency room in the U.S. and I doubt that you would get out with less than a $500.00 minimum charge. There are not many vacations that one can take where medical facilities like those found on a cruise ship are just an elevator ride away. Creating, maintaining, and keeping those facilities stocked is far from in expensive. Maybe people think the price should be equivelent to dinner at Chops?

I doubt if many people visit their local ER for sea sickness shots, even in the US. But just think, if 200 people show up for sea-sickness shots @ $100 a jab (as mentioned by other posters in this thread), that's $20,000 just for the shots per cruise, you think that wont pay for a doctor or three plus nurse?

Changing a bandage though should be just a regular procedure for a nurse , but even that I would expect to cost at least $50 per visit, which could add up to a substantial sum depending on cruise length. On the plus side, as least you don't have to tip! :)

Medicare and most insurance companies in the US will not pay for a nurse to change dressings every day. I have worked in home health care for many years. Insurance will cover a visit or 2 for a RN to train a relative/caregiver to do the dressing change and also signs of complications to watch for.

They then pay for a nurse to come weekly and evaluate wound healing and check wound for signs of infection and bring supplies. Ask the dressing change supplier to provide MORE than the adequate supplies as I'm sure the cruisline would charge a big markup should you need extra supplies. I would also ask your Doctor for a prescription (and fill it before cruise) of an antibiotic that would be the most specific and appropriate for a wound infection. I don't want to scare you about infections. Only happen in anout 5% of cases. I just like to be prepared!

Good luck with your surgery and have a wonderful cruise!

I doubt if many people visit their local ER for sea sickness shots, even in the US. But just think, if 200 people show up for sea-sickness shots @ $100 a jab (as mentioned by other posters in this thread), that's $20,000 just for the shots per cruise, you think that wont pay for a doctor or three plus nurse?

Changing a bandage though should be just a regular procedure for a nurse , but even that I would expect to cost at least $50 per visit, which could add up to a substantial sum depending on cruise length. On the plus side, as least you don't have to tip! :)

Emergency departments in the US are jammed with patients who have less serious complaints than sea sickness. And they are charged (appropriately) far more than $100. I would be shocked if the cost of staffing and maintaining the clinic onboard did not greatly exceed $20,000 per week. Those clinics are capable of ICU level care when evacuation is not possible and they are staffed with more highly trained personal than you might expect.

The cost of medical supplies can be ridiculous. Go down the bandage aisle at your local pharmacy and look what it would cost to place a simple bandage just once.

Emergency departments in the US are jammed with patients who have less serious complaints than sea sickness. And they are charged (appropriately) far more than $100. I would be shocked if the cost of staffing and maintaining the clinic onboard did not greatly exceed $20,000 per week. Those clinics are capable of ICU level care when evacuation is not possible and they are staffed with more highly trained personal than you might expect.

The cost of medical supplies can be ridiculous. Go down the bandage aisle at your local pharmacy and look what it would cost to place a simple bandage just once.

I would be shocked to find out that the cruise lines run their hospitals at a loss. Like every other aspect of ship-board matters, if there is a dollar to be made, the cruise lines will make three. Do they overcharge? Depends on your view point and requirements at the time, just like shore tours. Do we need them, even at inflated price? Of course we do, I wouldn't cruise on a ship without one and that is also one of the reasons we always take out travel insurance that covers overseas medical.

As others have said, the OP needs to check his travel insurance to see if he will be covered, and if not evaluate the anticipated costs against the value of his currently planned cruise. (and his partners ability to change the dressing)

If bandages cost as much as the local pharmacy charges, then Hollywood would have gone broke years ago from making zombie and mummy movies! :D

I sprained my knee last cruise. It was over $1,000 for an xray and visit with the doctor. The cost that surprised me the most was $80 for an ace bandage. Needless to say, I now will travel with an ace bandage.

My insurance (Aetna) reimbursed me for everything except $200. My trip insurance reimbursed me for that less $50 deductibe.

Typically there is a fee just to see the doctor or nurse

I have frequently gone for advice to the nurse, including on the RCCL Baltic cruise just completed a couple of weeks ago, and have not been charged. So one should not hesitate to go ask questions which can be answered without an examination.

On the past two cruises I have had to change dressings daily. Since the dressings themselves run me about $300 per month -- and that is only by purchasing most of it on Ebay -- I can only imagine what it would have cost, had it been done in the infirmary, assuming they even had the necessary material. I would urge OP to ask the nurse to teach her how to do the dressings, and then go purchase the necessary supplies.

For the experts, my costs are so high because of the need for both aquacel ag and an additional hydrocolloid dressing.

Bill

We are fortunate to have a medical facility on the ships, but we also have to keep in mind that they are in a business. My friend who has been a cruise ship RN for Holland America for many years said that they would swipe your card away for any services rendered.

I think it's a case by case basis. MAKE sure that you know what it will cost BEFORE you use their medical facilities. They can drop some serious charges on you for routine medical things.

Not meant to hi-jack thread... just wanted to say hi to a fellow Hodgkin's survivor!! :D

I would ask RCCL what the charges would be. If you do change your own dressings if that is possible, I would think about how to dispose of the dressings. If they contain any blood or fluids, they have special ways to dispose of the soiled dressings (not the regular trash).

My retina detached on the Radiance. I knew they couldn't do anything about it but went down anyway. To dilate my eye and take a look was $150 after the customary 30 min wait in the waiting room:rolleyes:.

My insurance paid minus my co-pay after filing with them at home. My travel insurance had a $50 deductible and was secondary insurance. So I was out of pocket $50 in the end.

I did notice there was bowl of seasickness meds in the waiting room. So it appears one could pop in and take some gratis.

These setups are not "not-for-profits" and are there to serve a purpose and if at all possible, make a profit. That's how businesses work... skilled nurses, doctors and supplies need to be paid for. If you think the price is too high, then you did exactly what you should have and declined their services. I find it a bit disingenuous to call it highway robbery.

-germ

Most of us are used to paying our "copay" or getting the service for "free." We don't generally know how much our doctors at home would charge if we were actual cash paying customers. So we don't really know if $100 is really reasonable or "highway robbery."

Of course they still have the same staffing on the cruises whether anyone gets sea sick or not. So, most cruises they won't make any money from that. But, the staff is there anyway. Too late to send them home! Over the course of the year I am sure they make a profit, but, there are probably cruises where they lose money too.

I am sure some equipment and meds are there "just in case." They have to be prepared for most circumstances that arrive because they can't just call the local pharmacy and have it delivered. They have to stock the shelves. Maybe there is something they use 10x a year, but, they have to pay 100% to have it there.

I had a stopped up ear. Ship charge: $179. Charge at home when I have had it: $75. Oh, and when I got home, I had to have it done again because it stopped up again since they didn't get all the wax out.

I rest my case.

Tucker in Texas

I can buy a case of Busch Lite beer at home for under $12.00 on the ship I thnk it is something like $4.75 a can when they are running specials......

I rest my case.

Archived