Boston Duck Tour

2910car

Has anyone done the Boston Duck Tour. We have been to Boston before and thought this would be more fun than a bus tour. We don't understand why the shore excursion costs so much more than buying the ticket online. It is almost twice the amount. I think maybe it is far from the dock and you need to pay alot for taxis?

We did it as a shore excursion simply bec. it was just easier and fortunately the difference in cost just wasn't that much of a deal breaker..It's great fun and gives you two perspectives of Boston... including the traffic if there on a weekday:rolleyes:... .we had lunch at a tavern on Union St., hung out around Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall.. nice day. DH had never been to Boston so for us it was a good option. I'm not a ship tour person by nature but there are just times when the hassle of cabs, etc. isn't worth it.... this was one of them.

If you took a Boston bus tour before, you will find the Duck tour to be very similar with the extra attraction of splashing into the Charles River and cruising around for 20 minutes. You will spend about an hour as a "bus" driving around the city. What did you do in Boston before? Perhaps we can come up with some alternative suggestions. If you want a water experience, there are a number of harbor cruise options. There is also Harvard Square and the Kennedy Library among other attractions that the Boston tours do not do. When exactly will you be in Boston and what hours?

• 9 months later...

I'm a local and just did the Duck Boat tour last weekend (for the second time). It's a lot of fun, and you do see a lot of the city (it's not that big a city!) from various angles.

Even if the absolute worst happened and the duck happened to run into problems, you're never particularly far from shore, and there are other boats all around you, so in no way would I hesitate to recommend it.

Depending on how much time you have in town, the cost of the cab/trolly/public transport might be worth it because once you get off (or before you get on) you'll be right in the heart of town with plenty to do on your own, as opposed to leaving from the ship and returning directly to the ship and then having to go back into town if you want to see anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

The original duck tour leaves from the Prudential Center or the Museum of Science. The taxi fare to the Pru is estimated at $18 and the fare to the Museum at $16. Unless you go to either location by public transit, it's possible that the ship's tour may be a competitive price. Also check what the ship is offering in terms of a return to the ship. If they offer a return from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, that could work for you. It's possible to walk or take the Green Line Two stops to Haymarket.

There is also another Super Splash duck tour. One company splashes you into the Charles River and the other into the Harbor if that makes any difference.

Our duck tour last year started and ended at the dock next to the ship. You get the round of Boston bus tour and then the water tour. On the way back to the ship we were offered the opportunity to get off at Quincy Market which we did. Had lunch and saw lots of places and bars (Cheer's). We then took a bus back to the ship that was $5 each. The trip back to the ship was about 6 miles driving which was cheaper than a cab ride.

I've taken 2 Duck Tours (on the "original" Duck Tours) and I think they are so fun. It's a great way to see a bunch of the city if you only have a short amount of time. I second the advice to book in advance. The last one I went on, my boyfriend and I tried to buy tickets at the Prudential Center and the ticket booth literally sold the last 2 tickets on the tour we wanted to the people in front of us. Luckily we were able to get tickets for the next tour about 30 minutes or so later, but we live in Boston so not inconvenient for us to wait around.

Archived