Milestone after new "platinum" changes

agc291

Stu....read on another thread that a PVP said that she had just seen a training video that stated that cruises from 3-5 days would be reduced to 2 free days of laundry and 6 or more days would be reduced to three.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1631933

I have no problem with this change. That is free laundry every other day. We usually only have laundry done twice on a 7 day cruise anyway.

What i would like to see added at the platinum level would be reserved seats to all of the shows. Maybe block off the first 5 or 6 rows in the theatre for platinum cruisers and just make them available to everyone else about 10 minutes before show time if they havent already filled up.

GREAT idea IMO! One of the main things I cruise for is the entertainment, and I LOVE sitting first row center. In order to sit there, I usually arrive in the theater 45 minutes to one hour before showtime. The perk mentioned above would be absolutely wonderful,,,,at least for me!

"SKY"

This is the exact kind of thing that would make me look to another cruise line that doesn't do something like this.

My son is platinum and I'm getting close. I think offering extras is great, but taking things away from everyone else stinks. Giving drink coupons, a special lounge, etc is adding something to a platinum cruisers experience. But taking seats in the lounge takes away from everyone else's experience. I think non-platinum would see this and not be happy.

Sharon

What I would like to see is something for platinum kids. It will never happen, but thats my two cents. Our cruise last week he was supposed to get a whopping $5 in arcade tokens and they couldn't even get that right, they only had $3 available, and the ship arcades are always crappy anyway.

Don't get me wrong, we love being platinum, but wouldn't it be nice if they made the young platinum guests feel special too?

This is the exact kind of thing that would make me look to another cruise line that doesn't do something like this.

My son is platinum and I'm getting close. I think offering extras is great, but taking things away from everyone else stinks. Giving drink coupons, a special lounge, etc is adding something to a platinum cruisers experience. But taking seats in the lounge takes away from everyone else's experience. I think non-platinum would see this and not be happy.

Sharon

Other lines reserve seats for various reasons. For example, Royal Caribbean has reserved seats at the pools and in the theatre for suite guests. Diamond Plus guests do not need to make reservations for shows that others need to. I think this is a way to please guests who are loyal or spend more money on the cruises without costing the cruise lines any additional money.

I do think there will be more of this as time goes on. If you were the President of a cruise line, would you prefer to please your loyal cruisers who have spent a lot of time, money cruising with the line and/or the suite customer who spends a lot for the cabin, or risk the wrath of the one or two time cruiser on that line? The expression money talks is what the lines are thinking.

I know which choice I would make. As a passenger if I wanted the coveted seats, my choice would be to continue sailing that line to get to the status necessary. I know most people will not agree with me, but that's ok as this is my opinion.

Seriously? You'd leave because you can only get free laundry every other day?

I don't even use it. I don't live in cotton t-shirts and cargo shorts. Would never think of sending my clothes to be put through those industrial washers and dryers, let alone change cruiselines because I didn't a freebie as often as I wanted. :rolleyes:

The only perk I use is embarkation, tendering, the rare visit to the purser's desk, and whatever edible goodies they deliver to the cabin.

I don't "do" the entertainment very often, either. I actually prefer that vocalists have good voices and be good singers! I rarely find the comedy amusing. I don't care about jugglers or magicians. I detested the steel bands at poolside because they made me feel like my ears were going to bleed they were so awful.

I honestly do not see all these "cutbacks" that everyone whines about here. I'm just as happy with my cruises now as I was 10+ years ago.

The only reason I research other cruiselines is because I'm mostly solo now and since Carnival did away with their 150% solo rate, I need other options.

Whatever cruiseline gives me the best value for my cruising dollar is where you'll find me.

Really think there's just WAY too much fuss being made about all this. Have said from Day One that I feel a system more like HAL's is much more equitable (#days plus onboard spending plus bonus for suites).

If people are really going to base their cruise choices on whether or not they get a perk or two, then so be it. Go to another line. As long as Carnival's prices are as low as they are, they'll continue to sell out. As a shareholder, I'm fine with that, too!

Laundry is just another thing they have taken away or in this case reduce from us platinums.

More important is the entertainment has gone downhill in recent years. Making the love and marriage show an evening entertainment is pitiful. Same questions same format BORING

Piano bar entertainers not as good as they used to be.

Could give you a few more but this is the jist.

Not sure that we will leave but this has pushed us to book a cruise on NCL and than we will do another line and decide long term what we like the best.

Other lines reserve seats for various reasons. For example, Royal Caribbean has reserved seats at the pools and in the theatre for suite guests. Diamond Plus guests do not need to make reservations for shows that others need to. I think this is a way to please guests who are loyal or spend more money on the cruises without costing the cruise lines any additional money.

I do think there will be more of this as time goes on. If you were the President of a cruise line, would you prefer to please your loyal cruisers who have spent a lot of time, money cruising with the line and/or the suite customer who spends a lot for the cabin, or risk the wrath of the one or two time cruiser on that line? The expression money talks is what the lines are thinking.

I know which choice I would make. As a passenger if I wanted the coveted seats, my choice would be to continue sailing that line to get to the status necessary. I know most people will not agree with me, but that's ok as this is my opinion.

I hear what you are saying but Carnival does not think the same way. They look for first or second time cruiser who is much more profitable than us older guests.

I hear what you are saying but Carnival does not think the same way. They look for first or second time cruiser who is much more profitable than us older guests.

I prefer the term frequent/loyal guests to "older"... :D

Tom

Sharon

It happens all the time in the real world. I'll probably never be platinum on Carnival, so I wouldn't be upset. I think people are conditioned to realize that all things aren't equal.

Sharon

There are indeed, some shows where the front two rows of the theater are reserved for children ONLY! This is O.K., and I don't get my panties all in a wad about it, because I know the kids will REALLY enjoy those shows. ;)

"SKY"

I read that this morning. Carnival is in the process of losing us. We have another Carnival cruise in Sept and than an NCL at which point we will decide which one is better for us.

Right now with declining entertainment on Carnival and lots of people telling us NCL has better entertainment thinking we will say bye to Carnival, especially if these platinum cutbacks continue.

We'll be checking out NCL too if our December Breeze cruise isn't as wonderful as I'm hoping / expecting. We love RCI but want some variety... currently its Carnival, but we're holding open auditions. Booked Celebrity for 2013 already!

Archived