1st Time Cruiser ...Alaska...Need help

diskids2

Hi all,

This will be our first cruise. We are going with another family making our total 8 people. The youngest is my son who will be 18. There are three in their 20's and then the four parents all in our 50's.

I know we want to do a round trip out of Seattle in July. That part is pretty firm.

I really need help with excursions. I am pretty sure we will use Princess, but haven't ruled out NCL or RCL. I'm trying to match the itinerary and excursions to find the best match.

I am pretty sure we want to do the Inside Passage. Any thoughts?

My memory is that all roundtrips out of Seattle are east of vancouver island. If you want the "inside" I think you have to go out of Vancouver or to one way.

IMHO not a big deal, once in Alaska, those are the "sights."

I would make sure you get a cruise that does Hubbard or Glacier bay, those are far and fewer on roundtrips, especially out of Seattle.

As to excursions, what to pick depends a lot on your budget and party's interest. There is also nothing wrong that people/party split up in port to do things that best fit their interest, budget, and activity level.

Hi all,

This will be our first cruise. We are going with another family making our total 8 people. The youngest is my son who will be 18. There are three in their 20's and then the four parents all in our 50's.

I know we want to do a round trip out of Seattle in July. That part is pretty firm.

I really need help with excursions. I am pretty sure we will use Princess, but haven't ruled out NCL or RCL. I'm trying to match the itinerary and excursions to find the best match.

Hi all,

ALL cruises sail "inside passage", you can not get to Skagway or Juneau without doing so. The differences mentioned above is about inside Vancouver Island. With most Seattle sailings you have the least scenic sailing itinerary.

Being that you are basing your trip on the port times and activities, you need to look over shore excursion lists, which are available on each cruiseline web site, and hash out your choices and selections of interest first. Then fit in the cruise that works best.

But, you may also want to be aware of the glacier sailing, if that is of interest?? Tracy Arm, rarely gets within good viewing of a glacier, and more important- I find it "necessary" to purchase a cruiseline add on Tracy Arm boat tour, which is grossly superior to the ship transit. Do your homework on these details, if you haven't already done so.

As others have suggested, I would look at the excursion lists for each port that are provided on the cruise line websites. That will give you an idea of what is available. You can often book similar tours independently. Sometimes you will save money doing it on your own, others times you won't. You will have to do some comparing. Once you find some excursions that appeal to you, then try the search function on this board to find out what others have posted about those excursions. Of course, you can also ask a new question on the forum.

In the past NCL did have a Seattle cruise that traveled to the east of Vancouver Island. However, it looks like in 2012 both of their Seattle cruises will stay to the west of the Island, which as mentioned, will miss a large portion of the Inside Passage.

Looking at the map below, you can see that the Seattle NCL cruises are currently scheduled to sail to the west of Vancouver Island. If you look to the east of the Island you will see the passage the posters above are referring to. The Vancouver sailings will cruise to the east of the Island. In the past NCL has had one ship that sailed from Seattle and cruised to the east of Vancouver Island. However, from what I could find, that will not be the case in 2012. You can call to be sure. I was not able to bring up the map for the Jewel on their website, but I did find a map on another cruise website and it showed the same itinerary as the one below.

MapNCL.gif

Opps meant to say "west" instead of "east" IE out of Seattle you are outside as the map from vbmom87 shows. Those that sail from Vancouver often get the very cool narrows. Also noted that once in Alaska it matters little the few hours you did east of Vancouver Island.

My memory is that all roundtrips out of Seattle are east of vancouver island. If you want the "inside" I think you have to go out of Vancouver or to one way.

IMHO not a big deal, once in Alaska, those are the "sights."

I would make sure you get a cruise that does Hubbard or Glacier bay, those are far and fewer on roundtrips, especially out of Seattle.

As to excursions, what to pick depends a lot on your budget and party's interest. There is also nothing wrong that people/party split up in port to do things that best fit their interest, budget, and activity level.

First thank you for the replies!

I looked at the Golden Princess and it has sailing through Glacier Bay. RCCL has Tracy Arm and since we don't want to do a cruisetour....that might be out.

I am going to check out the list of excursions as recommended...then I'll be back with questions!

Thanks again all.

The OP seems firm on the fact that they are going to sail out of Seattle and while I agree that an itinerary out of Vancouver is superior I respect the fact that Seattle it is. As for glaciers, I have been to both on more than one occasion...they really are two different experiences. Hubbard is a massive glacier, actually 4 glaciers that merge as one, the cruise up to the glacier is very picturesque and once at the glacier you are likely going to see more in the way of calving. Glacier Bay is arguable more scenic but the glaciers are not at massive as Hubbard and there tends to be less calving. IMO there is not wrong answer in which should be chosen.

The OP seems firm on the fact that they are going to sail out of Seattle and while I agree that an itinerary out of Vancouver is superior I respect the fact that Seattle it is. As for glaciers, I have been to both on more than one occasion...they really are two different experiences. Hubbard is a massive glacier, actually 4 glaciers that merge as one, the cruise up to the glacier is very picturesque and once at the glacier you are likely going to see more in the way of calving. Glacier Bay is arguable more scenic but the glaciers are not at massive as Hubbard and there tends to be less calving. IMO there is not wrong answer in which should be chosen.

You make very vaild points. :) I have sailed at least 5 times out of Seattle, and certainly, all were greatly enjoyed. :)

This poster may benefit by determining what tours they wish to take, then fit those into an itinerary.

Archived