Visit from upgrade fairy's evil twin

Crzn-Life

Booked a guaranty, gambled and lost...big time.

We read on the board from many of you who received really nice upgrades so we were very hopeful that it would happen for us too. But...it was not to be. Instead of a visit from the upgrade fairy, the upgrade gremlin called on us.

We received our cabin assignment and it was aft on Riviera...right under the buffet. Asked for a different cabin, but it appears that the only ones available are in close proximity.

Can someone who has stayed in any of the cabins listed below please tell us how bad the noise from the buffet is? If you've stayed in these cabins on the Ruby, Crown or Emerald, they're all the same so your input would be greatly appreciated.

The cabins are 630, 631, 633, 702 and 703 on the Riviera deck.

We know that booking a guaranty and hoping for a nice upgrade is risky but we foolishly decided to take the chance believing that our luck would hold out. Lesson learned. We won't do it again.

I feel your pain. I just sailed the Carnival Freedom and booked my first guaranty, a 1A (bunk beds). I was hoping that I would be boosted to an IS (two beds that could be put together as a queen but it didn't happen. Like you, lesson learned. I got what I booked. In the future I will book what I want. I paid for two beds and I want them, lol, together. By the way, I cruise solo.

I'm confused. I was on Riviera (deck 1 on Carnival ships) and I'm no where near the galley. It's on the 9th floor or higher on other ships. Is Princess different?

Many thanks for your responses that reassured us the cabin location isn't as bad as we feared. We've gone from feeling so worried that we were considering cancelling the cruise to now feeling much better about the cabin assignment.

We also greatly appreciate the advice re dealing with noise.

We hope the upgrade fairy will forgive us for being so pessimistic, but we were expecting the worst when we saw the available cabins were under the buffet. We hope that all will turn out well and that we'll be able to offer a formal apology and make amends. One definitely doesn't want to be on the upgrade fairy's s#%# list. ;)

Thanks again. CC folks, you're the greatest.

I think you will like your location just fine. We booked a balcony (no catagory) GTY a couple of months ago, and were just assigned L214. portside.

The problem on Lido deck is if your cabin is located between the elevators/stairs and the pool area.

We had a cabin in that location once, and it was constant traffic back and forth.

As long as you are forward of the elevators you are fine.

Jeanne

I was in L-219 on the Crown. I was very concerned about the noise. I did not hear much, but still got up really early to run up on the track.

We have booked gty's and always keep in mind that we can get exactly what we booked. So far, we have received an upgrade within our category every time. This time we went from a BG to a BB (in a room we have had before and loved!).:)

I was blessed by the upgrade fairy on the Diamond and the upgrade was right below the buffet. I was worried about the noise for two months before I sailed and the worry was for nothing. The room was quiet. I didnt hear anything from above and the location was actually better than some we have booked in the past including the mini suite. We are staying in that area again come December on the Crown. :D

I'm glad to see this thread because I think that we are more likely on these boards to hear from cruisers who booked a guaranty and got a great upgrade. This naturally makes some people assume that they will be just as lucky. Please, book a guaranty ONLY if you will be happy with the minimum category you booked! Otherwise, you will be disappointed all during your vacation.

We read on the board from many of you who received really nice upgrades so we were very hopeful that it would happen for us too. But...it was not to be. Instead of a visit from the upgrade fairy, the upgrade gremlin called on us.

We received our cabin assignment and it was aft on Riviera...right under the buffet. Asked for a different cabin, but it appears that the only ones available are in close proximity.

Can someone who has stayed in any of the cabins listed below please tell us how bad the noise from the buffet is? If you've stayed in these cabins on the Ruby, Crown or Emerald, they're all the same so your input would be greatly appreciated.

We know that booking a guaranty and hoping for a nice upgrade is risky but we foolishly decided to take the chance believing that our luck would hold out. Lesson learned. We won't do it again.

Regarding the cabins on Riviera Deck aft, seems like we are in a rut but the last 3 cruises we were either in 701 or 702 and really liked it - matter of fact we book our February cruise in R701. There isn't any noise from the deck or HC area above, the location has great access to the aft pool, the elevators/stairway is close by, the laundry (oooppps! don't need that anymore) is a short walk, etc. Granted the balconies are as roomy as Caribe or Dolphin, but they are covered in case of any liquid sunshine. All in all, not a problem.

I am a fairly light sleeper too and I take ear plugs. We had noisy neighbors on our HAL cruise and I was so glad I brought them! The most comfortable ones I have found are the ones made for swimmers that keep the water out of the ear canal. They are mold-able plastic balls and conform to the shape of your ear, unlike foam ear plugs.

You just never know what your neighbors will be like or if your room happens to be by the steward's closet, etc. I have had much better quality of sleep on cruise ships since I started wearing the ear plugs.

Happy cruising!

The noisiest cruise I've been on was to Hawaii and our mini-suite was directly across the hall from where the staff started their day with carts, buckets, brooms, trays, etc., and a constant back/forth through a door that they 'hit' in order to gain access to the passageway. After the third day of not being able to sleep-in due to the traffic noise directly outside our door, I really wasn't a pretty sight standing there with smoke coming out of my ears, screeching like a fishwife, with the door hanging off its hinges - pleading with them that 8 a.m. was realllllly too early to start this unfiltered noise.:(

sorry it didn't work out for you. We have booked gty about 4 or 5 times and never gotten really a great upgrade, but I guess it does happen. On our upcoming cruise we didn't get upgraded at all, but we got a great location.

NIta

Archived