Taxi v Car Service

chirpy007

When we've travelled from LGA to midtown Manhattan, we've found that a taxi is a bit cheaper when there's no traffic, but a car service is cheaper when ther's lots of traffic--because it's a set price, regardless of how much time the ride takes.

Arent the taxi's a set price as well though? We will be coming from JFK to Midtown East.

Yes, from JFK to Manhattan (or reverse) taxis are fixed at $45, but this is not the norm...taxi fares are otherwise metered and that can run up quite a fare if you're stuck in traffic.

Doing a quick look up, it appears Carmel's price from JFK to Manhattan is $40, but in reverse it's $48...so it's $5 cheaper than a taxi one way but $3 more the other (all prices are plus tolls and tip). (Carmel states its prices may differ in "peak" hours, and also airport pick up prices are higher at night)

I'm also trying to work out whether to use a taxi or a shuttle. We get into JFK at 8.00 pm (after having been in the air for about 24 hours!) and by the time we clear immigration and customs I'm expecting it will be about 9.30 to 10.00. Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome -

I'm also trying to work out whether to use a taxi or a shuttle. We get into JFK at 8.00 pm (after having been in the air for about 24 hours!) and by the time we clear immigration and customs I'm expecting it will be about 9.30 to 10.00. Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome -

I assume you're going to a hotel from the airport The shuttle service in NY isn't that good, and taxis might be scarce at that time. I would take a car service like Dial 7 or Carmel. Reserve in advance.

http://www.dial7.com

http://www.carmellimo.com

I assume you're going to a hotel from the airport The shuttle service in NY isn't that good, and taxis might be scarce at that time. I would take a car service like Dial 7 or Carmel. Reserve in advance.

http://www.dial7.com

http://www.carmellimo.com

I agree. I would also take a car service.

You'll likely be quite tired and having this all arranged in advance will be easier all the way around.

Keith

Yes, from JFK to Manhattan (or reverse) taxis are fixed at $45, but this is not the norm...taxi fares are otherwise metered and that can run up quite a fare if you're stuck in traffic.

Doing a quick look up, it appears Carmel's price from JFK to Manhattan is $40, but in reverse it's $48...so it's $5 cheaper than a taxi one way but $3 more the other (all prices are plus tolls and tip). (Carmel states its prices may differ in "peak" hours, and also airport pick up prices are higher at night)

We land around 1.30pm...............are all the shuttle services poor,we can get Airlink for around $20 each.

We land around 1.30pm...............are all the shuttle services poor,we can get Airlink for around $20 each.

$20pp still computes to at least $40 for two plus tip. AND you get to go on a stop and go trip, generally 2 hour trip through NYC. PLUS you may get to circle JFK endlessly while they are waiting or looking for other passengers.

Shuttle services in NYC are generally poor, poor, poor. While Airlink is SLIGHTLY better than Supershuttle, neither are worth a darn. Stick with the car service. You will be far happier.

$20pp still computes to at least $40 for two plus tip. AND you get to go on a stop and go trip, generally 2 hour trip through NYC. PLUS you may get to circle JFK endlessly while they are waiting or looking for other passengers.

Shuttle services in NYC are generally poor, poor, poor. While Airlink is SLIGHTLY better than Supershuttle, neither are worth a darn. Stick with the car service. You will be far happier.

Ok will do, thanks for the advice :D

I have been corresponding with All City Limousines New york regarding transfers from JFK and also other rides. I have to say they have been very helpful. Very prompt replies. So I am really hoping this carries through to their service on the road. Has anyone used this company, I think they are quite small and are not so well known as companies like DIAL 7 whom I have e mailed 3 yes 3 times not in the same week but over a 3 week period. I have tried 3 different e mail address's and their online quote system. Now I know our trip is not until next year so I don't know if that is the problem why they have not got back to me. Anyway I would be delighted if some posters have any experience working with All City Limousines. Thanks for any replies.

I have been corresponding with All City Limousines New york regarding transfers from JFK and also other rides. I have to say they have been very helpful. Very prompt replies. So I am really hoping this carries through to their service on the road. Has anyone used this company, I think they are quite small and are not so well known as companies like DIAL 7 whom I have e mailed 3 yes 3 times not in the same week but over a 3 week period. I have tried 3 different e mail address's and their online quote system. Now I know our trip is not until next year so I don't know if that is the problem why they have not got back to me. Anyway I would be delighted if some posters have any experience working with All City Limousines. Thanks for any replies.

I've replied on the separate thread you started.

Archived