Bermuda with kids from NY, which ship?

2LoveToTravel

We are taking our children and grandchildren to Bermuda by ship for my husbands 70th birthday with kids ages 7,9,13,15,16. Veendam docks in Hamilton and Celebrity in Dockyard. Hamilton is a central location and the Veendam is the only ship there for 4 days. Celebrity is at Dockyard with Norwegian at the same time....many more people and not as good a location. Celebrity seems to have more for the kids. Should we be more concerned about location of ship, or what the ship offers?????

Just off the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and from my judgement grand kids would be bored on Celebrity or Hal. Go with NCL for the kids.:)

Kids will not be bored on Celebrity, I took my kids on Celebrity on numerous cruises including to Bermuda. They have excellent childrens programs and there is plenty to do. Additionally here is something new that was just announced this week.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2011-09-15&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

I have also been on NCL to Bermuda, NCL is very high pressure selling everything on board and it seemed like the whole ship was a chimney. Celebrity has the strictest smoking policies at sea.

They definitely will not be bored...

Are you going during normal school vacation periods? If not, I think there are likely to be very few kids on either HAL or X. And don't both lines only run kids' programs if there are more than a certain number of kids on board? Or is that outdated info (my kids are 22 and 19 now and I haven't cruised with them since they were in their early teens?)

Seriously, I've cruised with 4 children always (presently ages 13-18) and we've been cruising for a decade (a dozen cruises) sometime with other family kids. Among your kids, they are are mainly teens. In my experience teens don't use - certainly aren't dependent on - kids programs (may even avoid them). In fact - lo and behold - kids generally enjoy the same stuff on cruises that adults do... (the bar notwithstanding:D).

You only have two younger kids going and even the 9 yo may be moving away from organized group kid-play - depending on the child. Teens definitely don't go for organized camp 'play zone' stuff. Teens may opt into specific teen-disco events etc. (or not) Celeb's ship is bigger and provides more exploration opportunity - but HAL's cruise is better in that the shore time is substantially longer. Personally, I would tend to HAL for that reason alone. HAL's S-class has a pretty cool 'teen only' rear deck with waterfall, etc. Actually, the flip side of the HAL's smaller ship - for adults and kids - is that its 200 feet shorter than the Celeb/NCL ships. Easier to canvas.

The main thing I'd do with the kids is to establish 'the rules' - prior to boarding. I've never had behavior problems cruising with my kids, but an explanation - extending them responsibility 'quid pro quo' is important. Explain that they are on a ship and special behavior is demanded - by the Captain (explain ships; there is a brig, there is security; things run 'ship shape' - or people can be put off; the naval history aspect). No running, no yelling. Never go into any cabin but those of your own group. The older two are likely OK independent (13 yo is a bit touch and go) but the youngest two aren't independent. Mandate a buddy system; the youngest especially must be with an older kid or an adult. In my experience (and I've cruised with nephews also), extending responsibility to them for each other (in exchange for some independence) tends to bring out the best in them. Tell them (especially the older ones) about the phones around the ship and how to call rooms. Ships are 'Awesome' but a bit intimidating; together those can be a wonderful maturity motivator in kids. 'The Rules Sermon' - a friendly explanation of ship board responsibilities and freedoms does a lot to improve their and your experience. You do that once in route to the cruise, then again abbreviated upon boarding; then the muster drill follows ('Hey - they weren't kidding!). Wonderful brainwashing!

Have a great time!

We are taking our children and grandchildren to Bermuda by ship for my husbands 70th birthday with kids ages 7,9,13,15,16. Veendam docks in Hamilton and Celebrity in Dockyard. Hamilton is a central location and the Veendam is the only ship there for 4 days. Celebrity is at Dockyard with Norwegian at the same time....many more people and not as good a location. Celebrity seems to have more for the kids. Should we be more concerned about location of ship, or what the ship offers?????

DH and I traveled from NY to FL and the Bahamas with our children, their spouses and our grandchildren on NCL to celebrate our 40th anniv. (NYC ap the departure port was the deciding factor.) Although the informalityof NCL is not to our liking, our DS and DSIL enjoyed not having to "dress" for dinner. The ladies and young ladies in our group enjoyed dressing in our smart casual wear as we would on X.

The biggest problem we had was with NCLs Anytime Dining. You can show up at "any time", but may need to wait for 45 min, especially for a large table. ON X and HAL you can still have your own Traditional Dining table, thank goodness (IMO).

The grandchildren loved the cruise, but didn't attend any of the organized children's activities. They enjoyed spending time as an extended family - something we seldom get to do! We had a great 3 generation Trivia team!

The bottom line is you and your family can have a marvelous cruise which ever line you choose.

Congratulations to your husband on his 70th bday. Enjoy your cruise - and your family!!

Agnes

Archived