Starting off from Venice

Brendaflamingo

Have you flown to Venice and stayed in a hotel before catching a ship?

Im picturing me, my son and daughter in law flying into Venice with 2 pieces of luggage each struggling. Then actually putting getting into the Venice water taxis with all our luggage tipping over the taxi. This is my vision from visiting Venice once before, but it was during the cruise not visiting before the cruise How is this really handeled or am I accurate with my vision dealing with this? Im trying to decide between two cruises.

One cruise will cost more but Venice is during teh cruise and the other is cheaper but you start from Venice. I struggle with luggage on land what will it be like with water?

Help:confused:

Thanks

Brenda

Can't comment about struggling with luggage.

We did this, direct flight in wonderful direct flight from US Air, cough cough, gasp, into Marco Polo, caught a private water taxi that was a short 10' walk from airport, dropped at dock right next to Rialto. Had a very nice water taxi attendent help my parents with their luggage for a short 5' walk to our hotel near San Marco, no luggage struggle at all! Did a walkaround Venice, checked in shower around 1pm local time. Some took a nap others explored thru the day. Great dinner along the grand canal, more exploring, next morning got another private taxi to the ship dock.

As long as you are willing to spend $ and plan and secure a hotel with private dock or no bridges its an experience for a lifetime and no hassel at all

To be honest the magic of Venice whether you have a day and a half or just a day as a mid port stop makes little difference IMHO. This is different than Rome as a starting place where the extra few hours and evening make a HUGE difference in what extra you can see.

I would pick Rome but the cruise we picked and ports only had Venice as start / end and Rome as an intermediate.

Im picturing me, my son and daughter in law flying into Venice with 2 pieces of luggage each struggling. Then actually putting getting into the Venice water taxis with all our luggage tipping over the taxi. This is my vision from visiting Venice once before, but it was during the cruise not visiting before the cruise How is this really handeled or am I accurate with my vision dealing with this? Im trying to decide between two cruises.

One cruise will cost more but Venice is during teh cruise and the other is cheaper but you start from Venice. I struggle with luggage on land what will it be like with water?

Thanks

Brenda

1154501379_0010_WaterTaxitoVenice.jpg.5ffbe2224a51e282da35bc78d0aaea3d.jpg

1311207495_0050_WaterTaxitoVenice.jpg.0fa57ebe83fb070b56182a5899c09e10.jpg

382244493_0060_WaterTaxitoVenice.jpg.4940db0d7031dd686ae82f48b31af928.jpg

685292566_0400_VeniceGrandCanalWaterTaxitoship.jpg.173503a49aa347efc84f6d468df92788.jpg

1051267830_0410_VeniceGrandCanalWaterTaxitoship.jpg.4fc7b10ed9b6de8b6c992cc0d276aac8.jpg

Haven't done it yet, but have booked Tritone hotel in Mestre . . . an easy bus ride from the airport. No canals, bridges to deal with. Bus stop and train station are right across the street from the hotel, and it's a short ride (and 1 Euro) to Piazzale Roma . . . You're "almost" in Venice, but less hassle and less expense.

I picked up the idea from searching the threads here at CC. We wanted to stay in Venice, but didn't want to deal with luggage, nor pay the high hotel rates. Good luck with your search for information!

Thanks

Brenda

If you're worrying about a water taxi tipping over because of your luggage you're either bringing way, way, way too much luggage or you're getting confused with a gondola. Do a Google image search for a water taxi in Venice and you'll see how their stability comes from their width.

The question only you can answer is whether that extra pair -- or five -- shoes or three extra sun dresses is worth letting your luggage control you.

Thanks

Brenda

Brenda,

I found this website to be very helpful when I planned our trip to Venice:

Venice for Visitors

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Here you will find answers to many of your questions and the transportation options available to you.

We met up with a friend in Venice this summer and because she was traveling solo, and has some mobility issues, she hired a porter service (her hotel provided the information). The few euros that it cost was worth it for her. That could be an option for you.

Venice is magical, do not let your concern over luggage get you down. It is only a challenge, and can easily be managed. Do some research and you will see.

Enjoy your visit!

Brenda,

I found this website to be very helpful when I planned our trip to Venice:

Venice for Visitors

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Here you will find answers to many of your questions and the transportation options available to you.

We met up with a friend in Venice this summer and because she was traveling solo, and has some mobility issues, she hired a porter service (her hotel provided the information). The few euros that it cost was worth it for her. That could be an option for you.

Venice is magical, do not let your concern over luggage get you down. It is only a challenge, and can easily be managed. Do some research and you will see.

Enjoy your visit!

Hi Brenda,

The above listed website was extremely helpful in finding a hotel for one night prior to our cruise next May. We went with a hotel near Piazzale Roma for its convenience from the airport and transportation to the cruise terminal via the "People Mover".

Thinking of cruising from Venice in the near future. So there are no Land Taxi's to get you from the airports to your hotel or from your hotel to the ship? ls this correct? Is the only option is trains or water taxis?

Well, there are no roads nor train tracks in Venice once you get beyond a certain point. You CAN get a taxi or take a bus from the airport to this point--beyind that, it's feet or boat! Some hotels have docks so the water taxi can pull right up to the dock to drop you off. If you are concerned, you can stay on the mainland in Mestre or environs, or in a hotel near Piazzale Roma. It is lovely to stay in Venice proper, however, and just walk everywhere--many people are wheeling their luggage through the streets!

If you can hang on for a month or two, I'll report back what it was like. My husband and I are flying into Venice and cruising out of Venice (October 8th). With luggage. I'll tell you the good the bad and the ugly when we get back.

Well, there are no roads nor train tracks in Venice once you get beyond a certain point. You CAN get a taxi or take a bus from the airport to this point--beyind that, it's feet or boat! Some hotels have docks so the water taxi can pull right up to the dock to drop you off. If you are concerned, you can stay on the mainland in Mestre or environs, or in a hotel near Piazzale Roma. It is lovely to stay in Venice proper, however, and just walk everywhere--many people are wheeling their luggage through the streets!

Thanks for your help. Hubby hates wheeling the luggage to the car to get to the airport, so I may have to rethink cruising from Venice. Maybe a cruise with Venice as a port would be a better option for us. We would not get to see as much but it may work better for us.

Thanks for your help. Hubby hates wheeling the luggage to the car to get to the airport, so I may have to rethink cruising from Venice. Maybe a cruise with Venice as a port would be a better option for us. We would not get to see as much but it may work better for us.

If it is that important, you can stay on the mainland in Mestre or on the Lido. You an take a taxi right to your hotel in either case. From Mestre to Venice there is train and bus service; from the Lido there is the water bus. From either you can take a land taxi to the port.

I responded to your other thread and provided the europeforvisitors link which I see others here have done. It's a great site. Lots of useful info if you take the time to look thru it.

I think you're making too much of the Venice arrival process. I brought my 80 yr old mother last yr and she managed just fine. We did a 1 week cruise from Venice followed by 2 weeks in Spain and Portugal. OTOH we don't overpack. We each had a 26" wheeled case and a shoulder tote.

I'd rather do laundry for 2 hrs than have my vacation dictated by the demands of my suitcases!

We took the ATVO airport express bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma. It's a 20 minute ride, costs 4or 5E, leaves at 20 and 50 minutes after the hour. www.atvo.it It's a greyhound style bus and luggage goes in a hold underneath. The bus goes over a causeway (bridge) from the mainland into Venice, and this is where the road ends, at Piazzale Roma ( a large square). We hopped off the bus, got our luggage and headed to our hotel. If you stay in the PRoma there are a few hotels that don't require any bridges to cross. I think the first 4 hotels on that list don't require any crossings or just 1 small bridge.

Your other option is to stay at a hotel with a dock and take a water taxi to your hotel. The cost will be around 100E +.

I recommend that you buy or borrow from your library, Ann Vipond's book Mediterranean by Cruiseship. Good info, maps, suggestions on sites to see, or miss.

We sailed on the Ruby Princess last Oct. from Venice. We stayed at the Hotel Bologna in Mestre which is a Best Western so easy to book through the Best Western website. It is directly across from the train station allowing quick and easy access into Venice. They have a very good map of Venice at no charge - you need a really good map to get around Venice and be aware that the street names are posted on the side of the buildings, usually about 8 feet up. On the day of the cruise, we shared a cab with another couple and went directly to the cruise terminal - very easy.

Thank you to all with your useful information. I will check the website. But the others who assume I overpack and just a bit rude about it. Geez! This is my 37th cruise, some longer than 7 days. I think I know a little about packing. Also I know what a gondola is I rode one in Venice and I grew up in Venice ,CA. I think I spoke once or twice about gondolas. Ha ha

Anyway I looked at some videos of people going on vaprettos. Looked a lot easier than I visioned. Thanks for the great help.

Brenda

I will definitely check out europeforvistors.com/venice

I am all for the water taxi in Venice....We flew into Marco Polo and took a water taxi to our hotel. My parents are older and this was much more convenient. We stayed at the Hotel Violino d'Oro near St Marks. The water taxi dropped us about a block from our hotel. When we left for the ship our hotel called a taxi for us that picked us up across a bridge from the hotel.....yes the taxi costs more but definately worth the convenience. If I remember correctly it was approx 100 euros from the airport to the hotel and somewhere close to that from the hotel to the ship.

You can stay near the airport and take a taxi to the ship.

You can stay in the Piazzale Roma area, take a bus from the airport (it has luggage compartment, and you go from first to last stop - easy) and to the ship either free shuttle or taxi.

Getting a private water taxi from the Venice airport could not be easier! It's not cheap, no... but there is nothing like the arrival into Venice either. They handle your luggage, they take you to the closest spot possible to your hotel. I always book a hotel that is VERY accessible for a water taxi.

It's very easy to cruise from Venice with luggage. And I always bring too much luggage. It was still easy to do with a private water taxi. For us (a party of 6) it wasn't any more expensive than any other option really... but I would still get a water taxi if it was just my husband and I.

Cruising from Venice is amazing!

Thank you to all with your useful information. I will check the website. But the others who assume I overpack and just a bit rude about it. Geez! This is my 37th cruise, some longer than 7 days. I think I know a little about packing. Also I know what a gondola is I rode one in Venice and I grew up in Venice ,CA. I think I spoke once or twice about gondolas. Ha ha

Anyway I looked at some videos of people going on vaprettos. Looked a lot easier than I visioned. Thanks for the great help.

Brenda

I will definitely check out europeforvistors.com/venice

I would not want to bring luggage on a Vaporetto they can be very crowded. If you are traveling with luggage I would think that you would have to stand because there would not be room for luggage in the inside of the Vaporetto.

?? The Lido is a barrier island in the lagoon. While there is a car ferry that goes out there, I doubt that a taxi will do that and the expense would be ridiculous even if you could convince them.

I think what she meant is to take a land taxi from the Lido Alilaguna dock to a Lido hotel.....I don't think anyone would suggest taking a taxi from the airport and then cross in the taxi on a car ferry. :eek:

My advise pre-cruise is to taxi from the airport to Piazzale Roma, store your luggage in the "left luggage" store, and just carry a small overnight bag to your hotel in Venice. With a small overnight bag you walk to almost any Hotel in Venice from P Roma in less than 20 minutes. On the way back to check into the ship just walk back to P Roma, reclaim your luggage and take the people mover to the ship... Easy Peasy.

Srpilo

We sailed on the Ruby Princess last Oct. from Venice. We stayed at the Hotel Bologna in Mestre which is a Best Western so easy to book through the Best Western website. It is directly across from the train station allowing quick and easy access into Venice. They have a very good map of Venice at no charge - you need a really good map to get around Venice and be aware that the street names are posted on the side of the buildings, usually about 8 feet up. On the day of the cruise, we shared a cab with another couple and went directly to the cruise terminal - very easy.

Another vote for staying in Mestre..specially if your flight leaves venice at 6 am like mine will. Just grab a taxi to the airport and voila.. We're also staying at Hotel Bologna and very excited about this hotel. Hope I can find another couple to share a taxi to the cruise port!!

My advise pre-cruise is to taxi from the airport to Piazzale Roma, store your luggage in the "left luggage" store, and just carry a small overnight bag to your hotel in Venice. With a small overnight bag you walk to almost any Hotel in Venice from P Roma in less than 20 minutes. On the way back to check into the ship just walk back to P Roma, reclaim your luggage and take the people mover to the ship... Easy Peasy.

Srpilo

Can you elaborate on the "left luggage" store...location, security, etc.? We have a mid-afternoon flight from Venice to Paris on the day we disembark the ship; and I'm assuming we'll be off early (if normal), This would be ideal to park the luggage and savor more of Venice rather than sitting around the airport. Thanks

Can you elaborate on the "left luggage" store...location, security, etc.? We have a mid-afternoon flight from Venice to Paris on the day we disembark the ship; and I'm assuming we'll be off early (if normal), This would be ideal to park the luggage and savor more of Venice rather than sitting around the airport. Thanks

This article may be helpful for Baggage Storage or Left Luggage in Venice:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-left-luggage.htm

Archived