help just me

txracefan

any one else with alaska fever that spent way to much on excursions

Nope - spent a lot - 50% of the cruise fare - but it was not way too much. If your going to Alaska see and touch Alaska. If all we bid was cruise and walk around the port towns we would have missed 75% of the adventure.

I'm feeling the pain also. Our cruise excursions are going to cost us the same as our 7 day land tour (rental car, lodging, flight to Barrow) Yikes!

I finally totaled up the cost of our trip for family of 4 for the 14 day trip = $11,257. And that doesn't include the food on the land tour, souveniers, nor our flights (which luckly are frequent flyer miles).

But we are justifying it by figuring this is probably a once in a lifetime trip for the family. Do it while we are there, because it would cost a lot more to go back and do the things we wish we had done.

Yep! Us too! Total trip is WAY over what I had originally decided to pay for vacation cruise, BUT I figure, what the heck..we don't smoke, don't drink..don't run around on each other..The kids are well educated and on their own...So what are we saving it for! I have already told the kids they will probably have to take our cold dead bodies off either a plane or cruise ship some day...Hopefully not too soon...or at least till we see Alaska!

I'm with you Elmtree, we don't do any of the things you mentioned either. And we have three children that are well educated and doing good on their own. I love the part where you told your children they would have to get your cold dead bodies off a plane or cruise ship! That is a classic!

Bamagirl

When we booked the actual cruise, I thought it was kind of a deal, considering all we were getting for the price.

Then, I started looking at excursions. I have never been one to postpone gratification. Since I couldn't decide between Misty Fjords flightseeing, the 4 glacier adventure, or helicopter/dogsledding, I booked all three. Plus Capt. Larry, snorkeling, White Pass railroad and the submersible.

Thankfully, most of these are already paid for with our tax refund!

Well, I suppose you could say that we're spending wayyyyyyyy too much on this trip. That's what my wife the bookeeper says to me almost daily. I respond by asking her how many other 30th anniversaries does she plan on having? The fortunate thing for us is that we both are enamored with features that are usually found in towns, not on excursions. We're big fans of antique shops, flea markets, that kind of thing. I think we might pick up an excursion or two on the northbound cruise but so far none of them have captured my attention so we'll probably spend the bulk of our time exploring the port cities.

Our land portion is something I put together myself and I think it's going to be fabulous, once again eschewing most of the canned excursions in favor of exploring. I guess we'll see.

The good news is that we recently sold a boat that has been an albatross for us and if we can just get the condo moved........

I have been fortunate enough to get a lot of overtime in in the last few months, so I have a way to rationalize the expense of this trip. I figured that this is a once in a lifetime for my kids, and I want them to remember it always. We are looking at one excursion in each port to save money, but these were the ones that they really wanted to experience. Besides, as the old saying says, You can't take it with you! Nancy

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I was so happy the cruise cost $5K, which i thought was a great deal (of course, it's my first cruise, so what do I know?) But we are going to spend another $2000 just for the excursions. Oh, well, you only have one 10th anniversary, right?? Good thing I was able to use FF miles for the airfare!! :p

WARNING!! I did the once-in-a-lifetime cruise to Alaska in 2001. Going again in May. Oh well, maybe 3-times the charm? :D

Our once-in-a-lifetime trip to Alaska was May/2002. We went back the very next year. And now we are doing the 3rd time May/2005. Maybe the 4th-times the charm ;-)

i can truly say i did not spend too much money for my tours and they are something i will always remember and talk about.

$110 for capt.larry whale tour--4hours

$180 for michells island wings floatplane ride over the fjords--3 1/2 hrs

$35 white pass summit tour and free gold panning in skagway--3 hours. i think i did very well and had a wonderful time.

Just a side- my first trip was supposed to be my "once in a lifetime" and one and only. LOOK what happened to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy I got to agree with Budget even though she sure has been going to Alaska far more them me but I said the same thing back in 2000 that this trip is a once in a lifetime thing and now this May we will be going back for the third time. You just never know.

Marilyn

I havent even left yet,and have already decided (thanks to BQ) that Im missing WAY too much,so Im thinking ahead...one of my customers told me that she too was going all out since this is a once in a life time trip...that was 9 consecutive trips ago...

We will be cruising Alaska this July and then a 5 day land tour in Talkeetna/Seward to follow. We are a family of 4 and I haven't yet added up the total costs (high I'm sure $$$$) - however it will be worth it.

Last year we all went on an European cruise from Venice to Barcelona on Celebrity Millenium - It was so fantastic! With those memories to remind us, it spurs us on to enjoy this Alaskian experience to as much as we can afford.

Some of the best memories weren't always the most expensive excursions - but you should try to do what sounds really good to you.

One of our best memories was just renting a car in Santorini Greece and driving all around the island discovering.

Reading what others have done and said about their excursion experiences should point you in the right direction.

Also it pays to use a bit of common sense to decide whether or not it is worth the $$$ or if it fits your budget.

Enjoy your trip!

Graham

Archived