New to cruising - question about ships

IndyEmily

We prefer Freedom over Oasis. Until Oasis was launched, Freedom was the largest cruise ship afloat, so I wouldn't be at all concerned about size.

Can I ask you why you prefer freedom over oasis? We have sailed freedom and loved it, but have Been wanting to try the oasis. The cost is so much more, we're wondering if it's worth it?

We prefer Freedom over Oasis. Until Oasis was launched, Freedom was the largest cruise ship afloat, so I wouldn't be at all concerned about size.

Can I ask why you prefer the freedom over oasis? We love the freedom and have been wanting to do the oasis but the cost has been too prohibiting so far.

just wandering if it's worth the extra? What about the entertainment? Is it a lot better than the freedoms?

The Freedom is a great ship. As a first timer - book the Freedom in your Promenade room. (Even though I love OV balconies). After or even while on that cruise you may decide you want to cruise on the Oasis or Allure (you can buy a Next Cruise certificate or book while on board). If you are OK with the Promenade cabin you will have more choices that can save you money. The biggies are still getting premium prices but they do have Boardwalk and Central Park balconies that are cheaper than the OV balconies.

DH and I are planning a cruise in October 2012. The sailings we are looking at are for the Eastern Caribbean. Our ship choices are Freedom, Allure, and Oasis. It is my understanding that Allure and Oasis are massive ships with a ton of things to do. Being that this is our first time cruising (except for a Carnival cruise when I was 5 years old) - would the Allure and Oasis be too overwhelming for a first timer? Are we better off starting with the Freedom and then working up to the larger ships? The Freedom is slightly cheaper and we are looking at a Promenade room.

Or should we just go all out and go with one of the larger ships?

Our goal for this trip is to have a romantic getaway before we start a family. So this will be our last vacation for a few years.......:(

Though I don't have anything to compare the Allure to because it was my first cruise, I vote Allure/Oasis, no question about it! Though there was a TON of stuff to do, we never felt overwhelmed at all.

Be sure to figure the entire cost, including flight (Orlando vs. Ft. Lauderdale or even Miami), and transportation to and from the ship (costs more from Orlando).

As much as I like Royal Caribbean, I'd be tempted to take the Carnival Victory from Puerto Rico, Southern Caribbean, with a different port every day. You'll have plenty of time to take the other non-port-intensive cruises once you have kids.

October is still hurricane season. Is there any way you can wait until the first weeks in November or even the 1st weeks in December?

The Nov. 25, 2012, Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas from Puerto Rico would be a great choice, I think, and is a good price.

I've been cruising since 1986. When we started there were very few balconies but since I really need a window did not try an inside until mid nineties. It was awful. If your husband is claustrophobic you need a window of some sort. Since you have never cruised before I would go with the Freedom with a balcony. The reason I say this is because you will need a place to decompress and a balcony is wonderful to have coffee in the morning or a nightcap just before bed. Since you won't be cursing again anytime soon, if you are starting a family, I would go for a balcony. I also agree to go a bit later, just to lessen your chances of a hurricane or some sort of tropical disturbance. Also, a balcony is so romantic. Do it up right the first time!!! I would trade a shore excursion for a balcony anyday! JMHO!! Have a great time!

Practical reasons to get a balcony. The cabins are small and no matter how close you are with your partner, a little privacy is nice. With a balcony, one person can have a shower, scramble around getting dressed, etc., without tripping over the other. Not to be overlooked, some welcome privacy for toilet sojourns. Plus, one can enjoy TV while the other enjoys the quiet outdoors. Plus you can tie your swimwear to the chair and not have it hanging in the shower.

Enjoyment reasons. Sunrise, sunset, stars overhead, wind in your face, fresh air. Room service coffee and pastries while you watch the wide world go by in the morning. Looking down at the busyness below while docking. Watching the latecomers scramble back to the ship before deadline on port days.

How much extra would it cost you per person, per day, to have all this convenience and enrichment? Think about it - 25 bucks each per day, if that? Get a balcony. Cheap at twice the price.

Archived