New to cruising - question about ships

IndyEmily

DH and I are planning a cruise in October 2012. The sailings we are looking at are for the Eastern Caribbean. Our ship choices are Freedom, Allure, and Oasis. It is my understanding that Allure and Oasis are massive ships with a ton of things to do. Being that this is our first time cruising (except for a Carnival cruise when I was 5 years old) - would the Allure and Oasis be too overwhelming for a first timer? Are we better off starting with the Freedom and then working up to the larger ships? The Freedom is slightly cheaper and we are looking at a Promenade room.

Or should we just go all out and go with one of the larger ships?

Our goal for this trip is to have a romantic getaway before we start a family. So this will be our last vacation for a few years.......:(

I think you would be happy with any of the three ships.

I just got off Oasis, and there were things I did not do, that I will do next time. Missed a show and a few things like that .. but you can do most things.

I know I felt a little overwhelmed by Oasis, but its worth seeing, but I loved Voyager and up. Voyager has been my favorite cruise on RCL.

All things being equal, we would opt for the smaller ship, simply because there would be less of a crowd in port.

Also, we like feeling that we are on a boat in the ocean, not an amusement park.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Thanks everyone - I think we will start with the Freedom. We won't know the difference as we have nothing to compare it to.

My next question is whether it is worth upgrading to a balcony? I know people say you arent in your room enough to make it worth the price, but others swear by it. Thoughts on that?

I know people say you arent in your room enough to make it worth the price, but others swear by it.

Usually this is voiced with regard to Insides versus balcony (or Oceanview). I figure it is a self fulfilling prophecy - if I was in an inside I would not spend ANY time there other than sleeping or dressing. People who get balconies find they spend a lot more time there than they expected. On a really large ship though, where the ship itself is the focus more so than the ocean, perhaps balcony would not matter as much. For the OP, being first timers, the lure of the sea may be hard to quanitfy at this point.

At a minimum, I'd recommend an oceanview over a promenade view on Freedom. Other than when there's a parade (which you can see but not really hear), the view is really quite boring and we rarely see any promenade cabins with their curtains open.

Thanks everyone - I think we will start with the Freedom. We won't know the difference as we have nothing to compare it to.

My next question is whether it is worth upgrading to a balcony? I know people say you arent in your room enough to make it worth the price, but others swear by it. Thoughts on that?

You will be very happy on the Freedom,,we are taking our second cruise on that wonderful ship again this upcoming jan.29th.She is one of our favorites of the fleet,,the smaller ships are great also but we do enjoy the promenade alot...We love our balcony,,,yes it's worth it, especially if you like to sit with your coffee early in the morning and watch the sea and just enjoy:cool:..

I used to say that also until we experienced having a balcony!:D I love being able to be outside early morning or late at night without having to go to a different deck. Plus, the inside rooms are so dark! While this is great for sleeping, it makes me feel a little disoriented.

Sherri:)

I used to say that also until we experienced having a balcony!:D I love being able to be outside early morning or late at night without having to go to a different deck. Plus, the inside rooms are so dark! While this is great for sleeping, it makes me feel a little disoriented.

Sherri:)

We also found that having a balcony allowed us an early opportunity to gauge the weather and gave us a welcome refuge from which to view the ocean and whatever port we were docked in for the day. Last year we were on back to back cruises, the first in an inside room, the second in a junior suite. Amazingly different experiences and given a choice between an inside or outside room (with or without a balcony) we would definitely come down on the side of the outside room.

Bill

I just got off the Allure. I have only been on a couple of cruises. Since you say it may be a few years till a next cruise I would say to go with the Allure. In the overall cost it isn't that much difference to make that the deciding factor for me. That being said it can be overwealming. It took a few days to really get in the swing of it and enjoy everything it has to offer. I would read the cruise compass and make note of things wou want to do. If not there were many times we wandered around and found things going on already. We still had a great time but if we had planned it out a little more I think we could have taken in even more. It definately has a mall feel when you first board but once we were on for a while we found out there is a lot more that it has to offer.

My next question is whether it is worth upgrading to a balcony? I know people say you arent in your room enough to make it worth the price, but others swear by it.

Yes, go for an ocean balcony (not a Promenade balcony). It is like an extention of your room, giving you that extra bit of space. It's wonderful to be on your balcony at sunrise and sunset, feel the ocean breezes, watch the activities in port, etc. It's private and relaxing. The inside balconies are not as private; you must know that people can see into your room so the curtains must be closed when you are changing, coming from the shower, etc.

We love a balcony cabin - also helps with my, well, claustrophobia issues. :o

Hi Emily,

If I were in your shoes I'd go with the Freedom and use the money saved to get a balcony. We are about to take our 10th cruise and have sailed on all different sizes of ships. I've never once come home complaining that there was not enough to do. (we started cruising in our 20's and are now in our mid-30's) The Oasis & Allure could be overwhelming due to the amount of people and size of ships.

When we first started cruising we went with an inside cabin and it was like sleeping in a closet. Then we upgraded to obstructed view/port hole rooms so we could have a little light...but usually had to stand on the bed to see out. Once we decided to 'splurge' on a balcony and I don't think we could ever go back. It is very relaxing to sit on your balcony during sail away or as you dock in port. Also fun to grab your breakfast in the WJ and enjoy it in private with a great view.

Hope you have a wonderful trip, whichever you choose. I'm sure any of those ships will be amazing. :)

Hello, while I have not been on an Oasis Class Ship, I have been on a Freedom Class and a few of the Radiance Class Ships. I would agree that if size of the ship is a consideration, it really does not matter as the Freedom Class of ship are huge and unless you are going 24 hours a day, it will be hard to see all of the ship anyway!

I personally prefer the Radiance Class over the Freedom Class. The smaller ship is more intimate, easier to get around and less cowded. I am booked for a November 2012 cruise on the Allure, I am very much looking forward to checking out the largest and most innovative cruise ship in the world! My guess is that I will return to the radiance class after that!

As far a weather or not a balcony cabin is worth the expense... My answer would be a yes!!! I was on 4 or five cruises before I got a balcony and I did not know what I was missing!! I will never sail with out a balcony again!! I love the view of the ocean, the sound ofthe waves and the fresh sea air, whenever I want them!!!

All things being equal, we would opt for the smaller ship, simply because there would be less of a crowd in port.

I'm not sure how much of this is a factor these days with so many ships in the Caribbean. I was looking at our Freedom of the Seas cruise coming up in March. When we're in Cozumel, there are six other ships also in port that day with an estimated load on the port of 21,000 people.

I guess it does depend on the particular port as to how well it can handle thousands of people, and at smaller ports, if a smaller ship is there by herself, it might be a noticeable difference.

This depends alot on what you would like to do. If you are the type to dtay in a room to read (or play house) then I would go for balconey. If you want to see the ship, watch shows, climb rock walls, dine out ect then go for the inside room with the view of the inside of the ship or the ocean for morning looks.

We usually stay in oceanview cabins. We have had a balcony only one time. DW liked it (liked it, I said, not absolutely loved it). It did nothing for me. When we cruise, we cruise for the destinations and the activities that are happening on the ship. We hardly spend any time in our cabin. We use it to change our clothes and to sleep. We like to be out and about. We love to be up on the pool deck. We go to the shows. We got to the nightly entertainment throughout the ship. We like to eat in a venue where we can meet and talk with other people.

So, if you are like us and like to participate in the on board activities, I don't think the balcony is worth the extra money. If you like to just sit and relax, maybe read a book in peace and quiet, and then maybe a balcony will be good for you. $280 total comes out to only $40 per night, assuming you are on a 7 night cruise. Some people just love to have room service breakfast out on the balcony. Does that interest you?

Another thing to consider is how port intensive the cruise is. Will you be in a port every day and will you be off the ship most of the day? Are there sea days when you can just hang out on your balcony?

To counter Ken, we also enjoy the ship and go to shows, eat in the MDR all the time, hang out by the pool, etc., but we also spend time on the balcony quite a bit. It's a nice quiet place that's all our own where we can hang out and have a drink and watch the world go by.

It's funny - the first thing I thought about with the balcony was "we could eat breakfast every morning on the balcony" and the second thing was "on sail away we can enjoy it in private"- so I think it is safe to say that is our style. We are generally more private and introverted than being social butterflies. So, I think a balcony would get used.

Plus DH is kind of claustrophobic and I wonder how well he would do in an inside room........

...Plus DH is kind of claustrophobic and I wonder how well he would do in an inside room........

Yikes, well IMO, that decides it right there. I know some people LOVE inside cabins (they're darker and you sleep so much better! so they say) but it adds to the claustrophobia, trust me. You can turn on the TV; there is a channel set to bridge cam to check the weather and see where you are, etc. but it is definitely not the same as having your own ocean balcony. Some people in an inside keep the TV on that channel all night so there is a bit of light in the cabin; they know when the sun rises because it gets light on their TV screen. But that's just not for us. We tried an inside once and will never do it again.

Archived