QV Venice to Rome 21st September on board

laktex

First report

After a good night at the Hilton Gatwick the Titan Airways Cunard charter to Venice was excellent – with exit seats with huge legroom it was more like a Club Europe flight than economy – lunch was pretty good. Full marks to Titan. Arrival at Marco Polo was smooth – straight through check-in and onboard without any delay with the bags following just 10 minutes or so later. The ship looks in a pretty good state since our last trip as part of the World Cruise in 2009 but we obviously haven’t had time to do the full exploration yet.

The first evening dress requirements were dropped because of potential late arrivals and it was free time dining in the Brittania. After a nice meal but relatively poor service it was off in to Venice for a pleasant evening stroll around the streets of San Marco, the $20 Cunard Water Launch service to in front of the Londra Palace (multiple journeys allowed) being reasonable value.

Thursday.

A good night’s sleep (she doesn’t rock much in port!) got us up quite late at 7:30 and following a simple breakfast in the Lido where the coffee machines were really playing up it was back on the launch for another walk around Venice mainly in the San Marco and Arsenale areas but in streets and Campos that we haven’t explored before – Venice always has new experiences and scenes to deliver as you turn every corner. We are due to sail soon so it’s off to the drill, then sailaway and the decks are bound to be crowded as we depart Venice .

Sailing out of Venice is rather special and there was much waving from our fellow cruisers on Brilliance of the Seas, Seven Seas Mariner and Aegean Odysey. Dinner was very good and the lamb shank excellent – a great table of companions with lots of conversation and the service was now up to standard. The show this evening was opera singer Annette Wardell from Yorkshire – brilliant choice of opera style songs. We then went to the front of the ship on deck 6 – ghostly, not a soul in sight and no illumination whatsoever but we are gliding along to Split at a leisurely pace.

Thanks for the post. I love hearing about ports as well as Cunard ships. We went to Venice for the first time last year on QE and we just stayed around the San Marco area. What did you like about Venice and the areas you went to? Haven't been on QV yet.....hmmm...maybe time to try.

Barbara

Friday

“Dobro jutro” as they say. Anchored at Split at 8:00am and those on the tours were soon off on the tenders for their Croatian discovery – for us it was just a leisurely wander through streets and ramparts totally unknown. It really was very busy in the Diocletian Palace by 11:30 so it was out for a coffee along the front before returning on the tender for a very sunny afternoon by the pool.

Tonight is our first formal night and it will be interesting to see how people conform. Last night was semi-formal and most men were in appropriate attire but inevitably there are some who choose otherwise – they do look a little out of place but it is their choice.

Everyone was dressed well and the Captain Ian Huntley was very personable at his reception in the Queens room. Personally I much prefer the Queens room on QV to QM2 and it was a pleasant preamble to another good meal in the Britannia, the Veal Scalopini was excellent and would have done many an Italian restaurant proud.

We are now heading down a smooth Adriatic at 22.3 knots for a half day visit to Corfu, so it will be clocks forward an hour and more loss of sleep.

Thanks for the post. I love hearing about ports as well as Cunard ships. We went to Venice for the first time last year on QE and we just stayed around the San Marco area. What did you like about Venice and the areas you went to? Haven't been on QV yet.....hmmm...maybe time to try.

Barbara

You can always find new corners of Venice that will reveal new streets and some great cafes that are more populated by locals than tourists.

Saturday 24th

Arrival into Corfu was prompt and we were just ahead of the Nieuw Amsterdam. A short walk to the cruise terminal (great little facility compared to many around the world) and onto the shuttle bus to the Old Port and the opportunity to walk the streets of the Old Town, look over Garitsa Bay and a stroll around the Old Fortress before getting back to the ship for a 1:30ish departure with a storm looming up behind us. Kitty Pilgrim, the former CNN reporter gave a talk in the Theatre but sadly it was more a promotion for her new book than some experiences of 25 years at CNN – bit disappointing really. The Opera singer Annette Wardell was giving a recital in the Queens room prior to cream tea – I wish I had gone there instead. We are heading off to Piraeus now at 22 knots and the CC meet in the Commodore is scheduled for 5:00 pm before another formal dinner tonight and the Masquerade Ball. There is an additional option for Dinner this evening – “Gateway to India” - Deck 2 Grand Lobby Portside – it is a $20 surcharge.

The CC meet time clashed with Friends of Dorothy/Friends of Bill W but we sorted ourselves into the respective groups. Good meeting and the opportunity to put faces to names.

Another good dinner tonight my prime rib was still “mooing” and talking of mooing there is a beautiful painting in the Clarendon Fine art gallery of a cow by artist Paul James – I know that seems funny but I love cows and this painting is something I would truly like to hang in home – unfortunately it’s sale price is $29,500.00 so I will have to continue to look at the real ones at the field at the bottom of our garden. The Masquerade Ball was hugely popular and the effort put in by so many ladies AND gentleman was truly surprising – there was barely enough room to get them all on the dance floor – the winner was a gentleman and wife in their Mandarin dress.

Tomorrow’s escapade is the Corinth canal and since it is a late 9:15 start it may be a lie in or an early jog before breakfast.

Sunday 25th

8:00 am and we are approaching Piraeus – there is a Celebrity ship in port but can not yet see which one. As I walked round the deck this morning there are one or two places where the plastic deck needs some attention – there is a particular area near the aft pool where the flooring is lifting a little – I always think the weakest part of QV is the lack of “proper” decking.

A few new cruisers to Cunard have mentioned how “reserved” the ship is – that it’s a bit living in the past but that they quite like it – but I suspect that they may not return to Cunard on their next voyage and go for a ship with a little more Glitz and razamataz.

8:16 and the Pilot has just come on board – I can now see that it is the Solstice that is in port. The aft cabins are not the usual large suites and it really looks like a block of flats – not an elegant looking ship from the rear to me. Disembarkation for our tour was quick and we were soon on the coach heading for the Corinth Canal. A good trip in both directions along the canal and seeing those bridges rise from the depths of the canal is most unusual. Lunch at the Kalamaki Beach hotel was excellent prior to visiting Ancient Corinth and our tour guide was brilliant. On return to the ship a hasty shower for another semi-formal night with a recommendation of the lamb cutlets for a “Sunday Dinner” – the lamb was good and more good conversation touching on the politics of the labour conference.

Tomorrow is Kusadassi for Ephesus and I have arrange I private tour – be interesting to see if it works out. The wind is considerably stronger this evening and the ship noticeably moving about compared with the rest of the voyage so far.

Hello Laktax, can you tell us somthing more of the Gate-way to India dinner. ( where was it ... in the lobby ?) I've not heard of this before ... I've often use the speciality Indian evening meal in the Lido at $10. Is this the same ?

I did have to chuckle at the thought of the FOD, Friends of Bill and the CC meetings all at the same time and same venue...... What happens if you belong to all three :confused:

Bell Boy;)

Hello Laktax, can you tell us somthing more of the Gate-way to India dinner. ( where was it ... in the lobby ?) I've not heard of this before ... I've often use the speciality Indian evening meal in the Lido at $10. Is this the same ?

I have just been on the Queen Victoria and had a lovely meal from the 'Gateway to India'. Worth every $ in my opinion. It was available only on certain nights (may have been formal nights) and was based in Todd English which was very well decorated. The staff were lovely and the food divine!

Thanks Londonchick, Intersting, that's somthing new and makes a change from the usual Todd English menu. Hope Cunard will still be offering this option in Oct/Nov.

This new initiative by the food & beverage department confirms my personal opinion (in another thread) that Todd English has had his day ;)

Bell Boy.:)

Monday 26th

Arriving into Kusadasi, perfectly on time, the Windstar was on our starboard side –I’m never sure if she is a ship, yacht or boat but it is another of those ambitions to sail on her sometime in the future – in full sail she is an awesome sight. Following us into port today was the Celebrity Equinox. We had chosen a private tour today to Ephesus and I have to say it was brilliant – out of the port your name is on the rail and the guide ready to take you to the Mercedes Vito with smart leather seating just like a stretch limo – and straight off to the tour – it actually costs less than the ship tour but gives you total flexibility and a one to one relationship with one’s guide – in our case a girl named Alvi. Ephesus was more than we expected and with a copy of the bible in hand it’s amazing to think that you are following in Pauls footsteps and imagining his tribulations with the Ephesians.

Tuesday 27th

We knew we would arrive into Istanbul needing to anchor for a while before a berth became available. Those on tours were tendered off the ship as promised. Regretfully, one of the ships in port “grand Celebration” was late in departing and so we did not finally dock till near 6:00 pm and many of those on tour were now waiting to get back on board and the queues were pretty long. The first sitting dining room was almost empty, eight (large) tables around us were empty for the entire sitting. P&O’s Adonia was in port and left late evening and the old Celebrity Horizon (now Pullmantur) departed close to midnight. MSC Magnifica was here early morning.

Weddnesday 28th

We are in Istanbul all day with lots of tours ready to depart early – it really would be nice to visit these places with a little more solitude but I suspect as the years go by it will only become even more crowded.

Thursday 29th

8:00 am we leave the Dardenelles with the war memorials to our starboard side. Touching moments as the Captain recalls the huge loss of life in this area in 1915, touching moments as tears come to some eyes and touching moments as I notice one gentleman remove his cap in memory of those who lost their lives.

Thursday 29th 10:50

A short while ago the captain announced we had a medical emergency on board, consequently we have made a 180 degree turn and are heading back to the cover of the Dardenelles for a ship transfer of the patient so that they may be taken to hospital. We pray for their speedy recovery.

Trevor

Thursday 29th Evening

A pleasant day at sea. Dr. Peter Quartermaine’s lecture on the “Elizabeths” was excellent, many photos and an interesting reflection on the QE2’s groundbreaking interior design in the late 60’s and yet the return to “formality” of the present day QE. The captain’s humour was prevalent in his informal chat with Cruise Director Sally Sagoe – he leaves the ship on Oct 15th and Ingrid returns. The World Club reception was a chance to mingle but we spent most of our time with Roscoe from Auckland. Tonight we ate at Todd English and it was superb, Maitre d’ Thomas Sharji looked after us well and made sure we had a window seat – off the record he suggests that the “Gateway to India” evenings in TE are proving more popular than TE itself but they do replace the Indian food evenings in the Lido section. When we passed by last night the aroma in there was very special.

The patient taken off the ship is being operated upon in a Turkish hospital so we do wish him and his family (and the doctors involved) God’s care and protection. Well I am off to the Commodore Club for my “God Mother” before bed and arriving in Rhodes tomorrow morning.

Saturday 1st October

Santorini appeared in the skyline Saturday morning – always a great place to visit and always new things to see as you turn every corner. The one thing we sensed in many of these Greek places is the change in atmosphere compared to years ago – considerably less Greek music playing and bars/lounges/coffee shops that have that contemporary design and style – rather than that Greek image. Is that good or bad? – I do not know but I wonder if as the years pass many places will continue to lose their identity to the extent that there is less joy and difference in visiting. For the present, Santorini remains a wonderful and unique place to visit – maybe a destination to add to the list for a 2/3/4 day stay, prices do feel rather high – if the Drachma still existed, inevitable devaluation would have been such that it would have appeared wonderful value.

We see and read of the temperatures in the UK – I hope they remain till Tuesday and our first day back in the UK. Tonight was our last formal night and the Lobster Thermidor and Chateaubriand were embracing the menu, as was the Baked Alaska and I have to say allwere excellent in presentation and flavour. After an evening of dancing in the Queens Room and a crowded Hemispheres a short stroll around the deck was welcome before retiring to bed and the gain of one hour.

Sunday 2nd October

Woke early with that hour gain and heading west toward Sicily the sun rises nicely over the aft and a lovely warm breeze prevails. After a few walks around the deck, taking breakfast on the aft deck the sky suddenly looms very black and the captain gives a warning of an impending storm – soon it is thunder and lightning and a significant downpour, the balcony is awash with rain. Fifteen minutes later and its all past over, the skies start to clear and we see sunshine once more. Looking through “Today’s Activities” I am not sure how we will manage to cram everything , including packing ready for tomorrows disembarkation, into the day – Peter Quatermaine’s afternoon final lecture entitled “Selling the Seas” is probably the only certainty for me in additional to the Sunday Service in the Theatre – and of course deciding which boxes to tick on the Questionaire.

Well this is nearly the end of the cruise, just passed Scily and heading for STROMBOLI but doubt we will see any erupting material as it is not dark. Had a good day although for an hour we had thunder and lightening!! Managed two lectures, a bit of sun – just cracked open the Champagne that we got in the room on the first day – Pol Acker – do you remember but I miss that posh Champagne bucket. Just got to shower pack the bags and get off for the last dinner – cant believe its been 12 days!!

Passed the smoking Stromboli - that place is amazingly fertile, good dinner and a goodbye to all in the Comodore - Rome is looming, then its back to the UK and the inevitable pile of work in the office.

Here we are just docked at Civitivechia, lovely still morning. The Ventura is just berthing behind us and the buses rolling in to the dockside fast and furious.

It has been a most enjoyable cruise - time now to really analyse the details and decide what we do next. My wife is popping over to Vancouver for a few days before Christmas and I have to be in Toronto & Chicago just after Christmas but our cruising schedule is as yet undefined - based on what I saw in the build up to this trip I will definitely be waiting for those price deals.

Hi Trevor, nice write up!

Just back from the same cruise, you sum it up pretty well. Our first time with Cunard, and a very elegant, enjoyable time we had, with some great ports of call.

We also thought the service was a wee bit off for the first few days (especially clearing away plates, trays, wiping down tables etc in the Lido), and slow drinks service at the pool.

Also would have liked a bit more life about the place after 11.30pm!!

Also enjoyed the Cunard lectures and the Captain's talk - could have done with less of the ever-present Sally, though...

..and the late arrival in Istanbul, regardless of whose fault it was, did ruin that particular day for us. We decided to cancel our Bosphorus cruise booked for the next morning to make up our lost time, which they did without penalty, which was nice.

But I'm nit-picking, overall it was great, we ate in Britannia only and it was perfectly pleasant, lovely food and attentive service...

...now then, where next??

Archived