Does it Ever Bother You?

sail7seas

I was on one of HAL's last hurricane season cruises, the year before they discontinued them. My voyage was "specialed out". 85% of pax were from one U.S. locale/demographic group (neither lowest nor highest end of economic scale).

It was Lord of the Flies. Something about the synergy made them the most obnoxious, insular, and xenophobic group I've ever travelled with.

Example: "Have you met the Smiths? Lovely couple. What a pity they're from (insert name of state here)."

Far worse was the treatment of the crew, and the outrageous demands made.

I have friends from this locale. Would have considered it highly unlikely to generate a mob. None the less, after 3 days of nonsense, I was ready to go home. First and only HAL cruise where I felt that way.

My point (and I do have one): I'm with World Citizen on this one. It's too easy to generalize about who's likely to do what. Anyone can do anything, given the right circumstances.

So, feel free to bash the "gimme, gimme" pax, but please don't try to put a label on who they are. They come in all 31 flavo(u)rs.

I have speculated that might be one of the reasons HAL pulls their ships from the Caribbean in the late spring, summer, fall. I think the low pricing and perhaps some of those who demanded low, low, low prices were the same who were complaining and demanding the most. Yes, they get higher per diems in Alaska, Canada/New England and Europe but they always had at least one ship remain in the Caribbean. I don't think hurricanes are the reason the ships are not there. I don't know but I wonder.

(I can't believe I'm going to disagree with S7S, here... as I'm a huge fan!)

I'd be careful here that we don't make this a "class" thing.. there's enough of that happening in Washington!

I don't think wealthy people are any less guilty of this behavior... you had me until that statement. If you believe that, please join me at my country club, or let's go have lunch at Neimann Marcus sometime! (actually, I'd like that S7S!:))

Don't you really think they pulled out of the Caribbean due to the seasonal hurricane risk and the potential increased cost issues... and becuase of capacity issues from the new MEGA Ships from RCL and NCL? Curious what you think...

(I can't believe I'm going to disagree with S7S, here... as I'm a huge fan!)

I'd be careful here that we don't make this a "class" thing.. there's enough of that happening in Washington!

I don't think wealthy people are any less guilty of this behavior... you had me until that statement. If you believe that, please join me at my country club, or let's go have lunch at Neimann Marcus sometime! (actually, I'd like that S7S!:))

Don't you really think they pulled out of the Caribbean due to the seasonal hurricane risk and the potential increased cost issues... and becuase of capacity issues from the new MEGA Ships from RCL and NCL? Curious what you think...

I agree this should not be a 'class' discussion. There are those with lots of money who make demands and those with fewer funds. But that, of course, is not to say those with lots of money could well be among those seeking the very lowest prices. Maybe that's why they have lots of money?!! :D Nor is there anything wrong with trying to get a good price but really, there are, or should be, limits.

I also partially agree about the competition being a factor for removing the ships but hurricanes way down lower on the list. I think it was a money decision (aren't most?) in that the ships can pull in higher per diems in other locations than summer in the Caribbean. The Mega Ships were probably a factor and so many cabins to sell to a finite audience. Not everyone thinks a summer cruise in the Caribbean is something they want to do.

:o We loved those cruises and miss them.

I'd enjoy that lunch at Nieman's. ;)

We met a woman on our first cruise out of New York who as we understand is one of HALs most frequent quests... nice lady.

On our second or third cruise, we saw her again. Only this time she was very upset that she didn't get upgraded on the first day... and demanded a better cabin. HAL was unable to accommodate her. For seven days, every time we saw her she was complaining to somebody demanding a free cruise as compensation.. completely sulking. For the entire week we tried to avoid her... as did the staff!

We thought what a shame to ruin a week away over that... She seemed to get so caught up in not getting a "reward", that she ruined a wonderful time on a beautiful ship... truly sad.

Some people have more nerve than brains. She got what she booked and demanded they give her something better than that? Somebody should have thrown her sorry self overboard.

I think some of the complaining people who have booked cruises at huge discounts are first-time cruisers who have unreasonable expectations. They expect a butler and concierge to follow along after them, endless caviar and champagne (on the house), anything they want for dinner--even if they've booked the least expensive cabin.

During one of our last cruises generator went out, this was after that cruise ship out west was stranded. We didn't get to start our cruise until some time towards morning. We didn't even hear them installing the new one and it was right outside our cabin. The only inconvenience was we were without the use of the toilets and elevators for a couple of hours, we had the use of the ship after that, really didn't miss the use of the elevators or toilets.

I know we didn't complain but some did very loudly, not necessary. Holland gave everyone the choice of 20% off your next cruise or and I can't remember exactly but I think 10% off the cruise we were on. Now I think that was very reasonable. Of course some wanted more. Those kind of pax are ones I didn't want to associate with but you could sure hear them at the front desk.:(

Thanks Sail, I agree with all you said.:)

Some people have more nerve than brains. She got what she booked and demanded they give her something better than that? Somebody should have thrown her sorry self overboard.

I think some of the complaining people who have booked cruises at huge discounts are first-time cruisers who have unreasonable expectations. They expect a butler and concierge to follow along after them, endless caviar and champagne (on the house), anything they want for dinner--even if they've booked the least expensive cabin.

I'm sure she felt 'special' and this took away that perception. It is sorry that she wasted a week away being annoyed at getting something they paid for! I also agree that most anger is from unreasonable expectations. If folks want to be angry, wish they'd keep it to themselves and not share it with the world!

Unfortunately, there are some people who will never be happy and it is their demeanor to be rude, loud and demanding. They probably have been this way all their lives and will continue to be. Nothing will ever please them.:(

My husband always said the only way to deal with difficult people is avoidance.

If something is irritating you or not up to your expectation, SPEAK UP immediately. Don't wait until the last day to demand compensation...... speak with the Dining Room Manager if the dining room is where you are having an issue. Speak with Housekeeping Supervisor or Chief Housekeeper if your cabin is not being cleaned well. Speak with Guest Relations Manager....... Speak with someone as soon as the issue arises and hopefully you will have the situation corrected so you can enjoy your cruise. ...

I agree wholeheartedly. I've often wondered why folks didn't complain to someone while on the ship.

I think that sometimes it is people who cannot be face-to-face confrontatonal but can only 'complain' via phone or email. So rather than confront a staff member face to face they wait until they're home to complain via email or phone.

My thinking has always been that if they didn't complain while on the ship, they shouldn't be offered any compensation.

I actually look at it as a matter of 'fair'.

I don't think it fair for someone to stew about something they think deficient, say nothing to anyone who can make it right and then come here or write/call HAL Seattle Offices to complain or even to go to Front Office last day.

If you don't tell them you have a problem and don't give them a chance to try to make it right, I think you forfeit compaining 'rights'. :rolleyes:

If you don't tell them you have a problem and don't give them a chance to try to make it right, I think you forfeit compaining 'rights'. :rolleyes:

Precisely. If there's truly a problem, it's not appropriate to blame the line or crew for their lack of mind-reading skills. It has to be properly (and politely!) addressed.

I think it comes down to personal responsibility. The one phrase that truly irks me is "No one told us!" I've heard that phrase applied to food, weather, destinations, ships, airfare, etc.

I think a lot of people forget that it's essentially their job to research their cruise properly, and, if a situation arises, bring it to the attention of the appropriate person.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Sail7Seas, along with what appears to be everyone else who have echoed your statements. I too see it all over the place - not just here. Always see such stories on the news about someone who was "wronged" and now they're suing and they try to make it sound as though it's just the principle of the thing, but I feel most of the time it's all about the money.

A year or so ago my DH and I went to a nice restaurant and had a lovely dinner, but in my last bite of food I crunched down on something, pulled it out of my mouth and discovered a piece of glass. I called the waitress over and she got the manager. Amazingly, I wasn't hurt at all - no cut or anything. Just kind of grossed out, but mostly worried that - where was the REST of the glass?? Anyway, the manager was very nice and I was very nice to him in return. I really just wanted to bring it to his attention, so no one else got hurt. He left my table and then came back to say that our meal was comped along with a gift certificate for a future visit. He went on to say that he wouldn't have offered me anything, but he was doing this because I was so nice about it and b/c I hadn't demanded anything. I suggested that it'd be nice if our dessert was covered, but that I couldn't accept any more than that, because I was fine. He was shocked.

I just try to live my life treating others as I wish to be treated and with the whole "what comes around, goes around" philosophy. I'd like to think that MOST people do that, too, and we just hear the negative stories more than the positive. :)

"endless caviar and champagne (on the house)" was a fact of life on these ships, but that was then and those sisters did not cruise at the rates available today. Some of the passengers behavior was similar to what is being discussed here, though. Some things never change.

Keep checking. People here comment they have found 'good deals'. Depends upon the cabin category, itinerary, ship etc but when you have time give the pricing a glance or contact your TA and have them keep an eye out for you. Maybe if they get a notice of a flash sale, they can contact you.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Sail7Seas, along with what appears to be everyone else who have echoed your statements. I too see it all over the place - not just here. Always see such stories on the news about someone who was "wronged" and now they're suing and they try to make it sound as though it's just the principle of the thing, but I feel most of the time it's all about the money.

A year or so ago my DH and I went to a nice restaurant and had a lovely dinner, but in my last bite of food I crunched down on something, pulled it out of my mouth and discovered a piece of glass. I called the waitress over and she got the manager. Amazingly, I wasn't hurt at all - no cut or anything. Just kind of grossed out, but mostly worried that - where was the REST of the glass?? Anyway, the manager was very nice and I was very nice to him in return. I really just wanted to bring it to his attention, so no one else got hurt. He left my table and then came back to say that our meal was comped along with a gift certificate for a future visit. He went on to say that he wouldn't have offered me anything, but he was doing this because I was so nice about it and b/c I hadn't demanded anything. I suggested that it'd be nice if our dessert was covered, but that I couldn't accept any more than that, because I was fine. He was shocked.

I just try to live my life treating others as I wish to be treated and with the whole "what comes around, goes around" philosophy. I'd like to think that MOST people do that, too, and we just hear the negative stories more than the positive. :)

What a lousy manager. Glass in food is NEVER acceptable and no one should have to pay for it. Anyone who would willingly pay for a meal with glass in it sounds like a patsy who probably lets people walk all over them. Not something to be bragging about.

What a lousy manager. Glass in food is NEVER acceptable and no one should have to pay for it. Anyone who would willingly pay for a meal with glass in it sounds like a patsy who probably lets people walk all over them. Not something to be bragging about.

Hey, lighten up! This response is out of line!

Unfortunately, there are some people who will never be happy and it is their demeanor to be rude, loud and demanding. They probably have been this way all their lives and will continue to be. Nothing will ever please them.:(

My husband always said the only way to deal with difficult people is avoidance.

I totally agree.

Yeah, lighten up ! It didn't sound like bragging, but rather relaying an incident....jeezeee..some people...

Yeah, lighten up ! It didn't sound like bragging, but rather relaying an incident....jeezeee..some people...

I don't know why everybody doesn't lighten up.

Complaining about HAL complainers on a HAL board is like throwing red meat at carnivores.

Maybe we should begin another thread. Aren't you tired with complainers who constantly complain about all the complainers? :D

Smooth sailing...

Archived