spring break from NOLA

ginjer2911

Hello, my husband and I are trying to decide if a cruise for Spring Break will drive us crazy. We have 2 dd ages 8 and 6. They will be in Camp Carnival most of the time, but dh and I are worried that we will be inundated with drunk college kids. We have been on one Carnival Cruise before and really enjoyed it. But we have never gone during spring break and am a little worried about it.

I once boarded Voyager out of Galveston, not knowing it was spring break week in Mexico. 1,200 Mexicans onboard. I didnt have any real problems with drinking, just a lot of people who didnt speak any English.

I wouldnt have any problem doing a cruise during spring break, in fact I think I might have run into spring break on my little Jewel OTS cruise next March. Im seeing SW wants $310 to fly me home, thats one way, from tampa to Dallas, and Im thinking it must be around spring break time ending. Its a Monday, I can fly the next day for $129.

I just book the cruises and dont worry about what others might be doing on my cruise and so far its never been a problem.

Hello, my husband and I are trying to decide if a cruise for Spring Break will drive us crazy. We have 2 dd ages 8 and 6. They will be in Camp Carnival most of the time, but dh and I are worried that we will be inundated with drunk college kids. We have been on one Carnival Cruise before and really enjoyed it. But we have never gone during spring break and am a little worried about it.

We booked the 3/25/12 Conquest cruise out of Nola. Our daughter, her husband, and their two girls (13 & 10) will be with us. It's Alabama spring break for the grand kids. I checked and most of the college spring breaks will be behind us, much earlier in March. So mostly it will be the younger kids. I did notice that hotel rooms in Nola are really pricey that weekend (DH and I go to Nola a lot because, well... we love Nola :) ) and the prices seem high to me. All I see is the NCAA finals at that time, not sure exactly how that might be impacting the hotels. You didn't say if you're flying or driving. Maybe the hotel piece of the trip isn't important to you.

We booked the 3/25/12 Conquest cruise out of Nola. Our daughter, her husband, and their two girls (13 & 10) will be with us. It's Alabama spring break for the grand kids. I checked and most of the college spring breaks will be behind us, much earlier in March. So mostly it will be the younger kids. I did notice that hotel rooms in Nola are really pricey that weekend (DH and I go to Nola a lot because, well... we love Nola :) ) and the prices seem high to me. All I see is the NCAA finals at that time, not sure exactly how that might be impacting the hotels. You didn't say if you're flying or driving. Maybe the hotel piece of the trip isn't important to you.

We are also booked on this trip. I live in Indiana and it is our high school spring break. Hotels are definitely high for that weekend. We have traveled twice on spring break before and I would pick that over our summer cruises as those seemed loaded with more kids than spring break week.

We are looking at the March 11 cruise. That is spring break for our kids in TX. We will be needing a hotel, but not sure yet where that will be. Need to crunch numbers. Last time we parked at the cruise terminal and while that was pricey it was way convenient.

The NCAA Finals? Of course, that is going to effect the prices of things. Didn't realize this so I am thinking a cruise out of FLL will be better than NOLA.

We have a now 16 yr-old DS and 10 out of our last 12 cruises have been taken during spring break when he is out of school. Usually at the end of March or 1st or 2nd week of April. We live in CA so that's when our DS has his break. We have never had a problem with spring breakers at all. We've sailed out of FL, CA, and Texas and spring breakers have just never been a problem. Yes, the cruise is crowded with kids of all ages because, like us, that's when a lot of parents can cruise. I'm an older mom so it isn't like I'm really young and party along with the younger crowd. So, that's not the reason the college kids don't bother me. It's just never been a problem for us. I've usually seen many more drunk adults than kids. Just say'n!:D

My DH and I are booked on the March 11 Conquest. We're both teachers, so it is spring break for us too. We've cruised this week in March in the past, and there are a lot of college kids, but we've never seen anything that caused us concern,,,,,just a lot of young adults having a good time.

We did cruise Thanksgiving week once, and the problem then was a lot of unsupervised younger kids running around the boat, especially up and down the stairs and in the elevators. We live close enough to New Orleans that we will drive down that morning, and we won't have a hotel stay.

thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input. I think we will go ahead and book. I don't mind kids (of all ages) having a good time. Actually, it makes me feel good watching them. I never did Spring Break in college and now that I'm older I just have nightmares about doing anything around Spring Break. I'm gonna blame TV and Hollywood for my fears. :)

Party seeking college kids are more likely to be on the shorter cruises. If you are doing a 7 day cruise it will be more families with kids (lots of kids onboard). We usually cruise at school breaks so there are many more children and have not had any big problems with rowdiness. It actually works out well as there are many other children for your kids to play with.

David

Anytime in the entire months of March and April, you will run into some states SB. Last year, we cleared all the southern states and ended up with Arkansas and Kansas spring breakers. Other than hearing Suuuueeeey (sp?) a lot, they were not a problem. We've enjoyed meeting the college kids from all over and find them to be better behaved than some of the adults or smaller children! :p

I think super huge party-seeking college kids lean toward land vacations or all inclusives. Think Panama City Beach, Cancun, Daytona Beach. The ones on cruises are usually in smaller groups and just having a good time.

Archived