To Jim and Stan ..re Oceania suite on Marina

silkman

We were in 8064 owners suite on the Insignia which was right below the terrace restaurant and had a problem with noise from directly above (moving chairs and tables early in the morning).

We are on the Marina in an Oceania suite (11080) in 2012. It appears that this is also right below the terrace restaurant. Am I going to have the same problem? I think I had read that you were in that suite, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Silkman - we were in that suite on the Marina and we did hear the scraping of chairs very early in the morning - around 6 or 6:30 when they were putting them out. I don't recall hearing it much at other times of day.

I suggest you change your cabin..

Jancruz1

We were in 8064 owners suite on the Insignia which was right below the terrace restaurant and had a problem with noise from directly above (moving chairs and tables early in the morning).

We are on the Marina in an Oceania suite (11080) in 2012. It appears that this is also right below the terrace restaurant. Am I going to have the same problem? I think I had read that you were in that suite, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

You may find this story about the soundproofing in those aft Oceania Suites interesting:

One afternoon, I thought that I might use the CD player in the media room. I loaded a cd into the player, but could not get any sound. Usually, I'm pretty tech savvy, but the more that I "adjusted" the player, the more lost I became. Eventually, I could not even figure out how to eject the CD.

After about ten minutes, without any success, I decided to take a nap, instead.

About an hour later, the Butler came to the room, sheepishly saying that the people in 11081 were asking if we would consider turning "that loud music down".

At this point, the Butler and I were both confused, because neither of us could hear any music playing at all, inside 11083.

As it turns out, there is a master switch in the media room, which activates the outside media controls, television and audio. It was blasting out there; I was mortified.

I want to emphasize that from inside the Suite, you could not hear anything.

And that is how we started the tradition of sending Chivas Regal to our neighbors cabins ;)

You may find this story about the soundproofing in those aft Oceania Suites interesting:

One afternoon, I thought that I might use the CD player in the media room. I loaded a cd into the player, but could not get any sound. Usually, I'm pretty tech savvy, but the more that I "adjusted" the player, the more lost I became. Eventually, I could not even figure out how to eject the CD.

About an hour later, the Butler came to the room, sheepishly saying that the people in 11081 were asking if we would consider turning "that loud music down".

At this point, the Butler and I were both confused, because neither of us could hear any music playing at all, inside 11083.

As it turns out, there is a master switch in the media room, which activates the outside media controls, television and audio. It was blasting out there; I was mortified.

And that is how we started the tradition of sending Chivas Regal to our neighbors cabins ;)

so ....does that mean you did not hear the scraping of the chairs from the terrace restaurant directly above you in your Marina Oceania suite? Apparently Sondi14 who was in the same Oceania suite on the Marina heard the same movement of chairs in the early morning hours that we heard in 8064 on the Insignia. Thanks for your usual knowledgeable input.

We heard no man-made sound whatsoever from above, below or outside, except for whatever vibration there was from the engines and/or thrusters.

That goes for inside and outside the room, the veranda was exceptionally quiet.

I'd book that Suite again in a heartbeat

051227.jpg

092826.jpg

Good story and good to know. I would have been mortified also. That was very nice of you to send the Chivas Regal. :)

Oh and wonderful pictures!! Thanks for posting.

• 2 months later...

We are planning on booking Suite 11080 on the Riviera this coming May for the Athens to Barcelona cruise and I am worried about the large overhang on Deck 12. Does it impede sunlight from reaching both the deck and the suite? Is there plenty of room on the deck to entertain another couple? The picture of the hot tub you presented shows a very narrow deck where that is located. I appreciate hearing about the Master Control for the sound!

We are planning on booking Suite 11080 on the Riviera this coming May for the Athens to Barcelona cruise and I am worried about the large overhang on Deck 12. Does it impede sunlight from reaching both the deck and the suite? Is there plenty of room on the deck to entertain another couple? The picture of the hot tub you presented shows a very narrow deck where that is located. I appreciate hearing about the Master Control for the sound!

The Veranda for 11080 is large enough to entertain twenty people ;)

002114.jpg The part of the deck which runs along the side of the ship (where the hot tub and the outdoor television are) is narrower and very shaded by the overhang of deck 12.

092826.jpg

As the veranda wraps around to the stern of the ship, however, the overhang becomes less pronounced, and the deck becomes much wider.

092749.jpg

We felt that we got plenty of sun.

092853.jpg

Thanks so much for your prompt response and for sharing the wealth of photos of the deck. Do you have any photos of the Penthouse suite on Deck 7 which wraps around the stern of the ship? The deck to those suites actually appears wider than for the Oceania suite?

I see you are sailing the Riviera on 4/24/12 so can you please update me about the ship and the suite you are staying in and send photos of that ship as well?

Thanks for the information!

Do you have any photos of the Penthouse suite on Deck 7 which wraps around the stern of the ship?

As it happens, I do have photographs of those cabins because I'm sailing in one of them on the Riviera MV:

141005.jpg141102.jpg141159.jpg141137.jpgThe decks for those two Penthouse Suites (7130 & 7135) are wider at the side of the ship, but not as wide at the stern. They also don't have the aft facing windows that the Oceania Suites Do

051227.jpg

Now I'm really confused! Both suites look fantastic! Was the interior of the Oceania suite that much nicer than the Penthouse suite? (I'm speaking only of the aft suites.) We don't really need a media room and I think that would be sort of wasted on us. But I'm wondering if the bathroom is much larger on the Oceania suite? I realize you don't have rear facing windows on the Penthouse suite but you can always go outside if you want to see where you have been.

Of the two Penthouse suite in the aft on Deck 7, the one that is all the way at the back seems to be a slighly narrower than the one beside it in the deck plans in the brochure. Is that really the case?

Would you recommend the Oceania Suite or the Penthouse suite as your first choice?

I appreciate your responses greatly as we are wrestling with the choice of suites!

There is really NO COMPARISON between the Penthouse Suites (which are the size of a nice hotel room) and the Oceania Suites (which are the size of a nice apartment).

092533.jpg092600.jpg

The bathroom of the OS is something like quadruple the size of that in the penthouse, and it has a view!

092435.jpg092924.jpg

Honestly, if there is any way that you can swing one of those aft Oceania Suites financially, I would strongly suggest that you go for it. They are breathtaking.

092445.jpg

The stocked bar at sail-away is a nice touch too......and you wont get THAT in any Penthouse.

Hi Jim and Stan,

I still haven't decided on the Oceania or Penthouse suite (both of them are aft). Do you have any more photos of the Oceania suite that show the bedroom and the media room? I'm trying to figure out the arrangement of the room since the 3D version in the Oceania web site must be the side view rooms and they are completely differently oriented as far as I can tell. More photos of the Penthouse suite would be helpful too. Did you find the Media room to be a waste of space (that could have been used for bathroom or living room)? I have to decide to today which room I am booking so any more photos/information will be helpful.

I don't have photos of the PH on Marina (we were in a Vista -- the likes of which I'm sure we'll never see again -- but it looks like the VS and OC bedrooms are very similar in size and layout) ... but friends of ours on the cruise who WERE in a PH said it felt very cramped.

My guess is they are referring to the strange layouts regarding doors and closets that other people have mentioned.

Mura

Thanks so much for the additional photos. I took your advice and we booked the Oceania suite! Happy sailing on the Riviera on 4/24/12!

You'll be thrilled with it! :D

This is the layout of those aft Suites, or at least as close to it as a civilian can muster up:

183402.jpg

I can't tell you how helpful you have been to helping us decide which suite to reserve. The best thing was when you provided the room layout of the aft suite - I had not seen the double sinks in the bathroom before and I am just thrilled to have two sinks! (I know that seems really weird but I like a bathroom with two sinks.)

BTW, your original comment on the sound in the media room was something we will remember for when we are on board - we don't want our fellow passengers disillusioned by our loud music!

Thanks again for all your help!

I've been reading this board faithfully for a couple weeks and after much consternation have booked aft Oceania suite 11083 for Caribbean Hideaways 2/12/13 on Riviera. This will be my first Oceania experience and while this certainly is a major splurge for my wife and I, Jim and Stan's stunning photos and endless information make me feel very confident in my vacation purchase. Thanks very much for sharing all your knowledge. Happy holidays and happy cruising.

Archived