Host Mach

southbayer

Hi Mach, I just want to thank you for all the help you have given me and others who have been looking to find that correct answer, and perspective.

I've got a few misc questions for you now...

I was wondering, why they would replace the Paradise with a sister ship replica, wouldn't it be better if it were a different class of ship instead ?

Also, I will be sailing out of L.A. (San Pedro), understand only the Spirit uses this port temporarily, do you know if they offer a VIP Desk, Check In there ?

And on a personal note, is your name pronounced like going at the speed of "Mach 2", or like a "match". And, if you are male of female, just curious after these years.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Hi Mach, I just want to thank you for all the help you have given me and others who have been looking to find that correct answer, and perspective.

I've got a few misc questions for you now...

I was wondering, why they would replace the Paradise with a sister ship replica, wouldn't it be better if it were a different class of ship instead ?

Also, I will be sailing out of L.A. (San Pedro), understand only the Spirit uses this port temporarily, do you know if they offer a VIP Desk, Check In there ?

And on a personal note, is your name pronounced like going at the speed of "Mach 2", or like a "match". And, if you are male of female, just curious after these years.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

About the Paradise... I'm guessing that Carnival has found that a Fantasy class ship can be sold to capacity and keep the pricing structure they're looking for. If the number of available cabins went up the price might have to be lowered to fill the ship.

There is VIP check in available at all cruise terminals that Carnival uses:

VIP Check-In Program

Carnival’s VIP Check-In is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum guests, Carnival Vacation Club members and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations (categories: CS ES GS SS VS OS JS OB) with special registration privileges. Cruise tickets for Platinum guests and those traveling in deluxe accommodations will read, "Please proceed to VIP Check-In".

At the time of booking, you will need to instruct the travel agent or direct guest that the guest must ask for “VIP Check-In” upon arrival at the cruise terminal. Embarkation staff will ensure that the guests are expedited through the check-in procedure as quickly as is possible, while providing quality service.

We offer VIP Check-In at ALL embarkation ports.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/vip_checkinprogram.htm

It's like the speed of sound... sounds like 'mock' and I'm a guy.

Thanks for the kind words.

:)

I could be wrong but....

I believe I read that the larger class ships cannot be accommodated through the Panama Canal.

CCL would have to sail completely around South America to re-position.

just fantasy and spirit class currently. but they are widening the canal.

I could be wrong but....

I believe I read that the larger class ships cannot be accommodated through the Panama Canal.

CCL would have to sail completely around South America to re-position.

Yep... you're exactly right. The maximum beam to transit the canal is 106 feet. The Fantasy Class and the Spirit Class can manage this. When the Splendor repositioned to the West Coast she had to go 'round South America... a 47 day voyage!!!

The spirit class hull, which is used under a whole bunch of Carnival Corp. ships is a Panamax hull. It is built to the dimensions of the canal. A great many container ships are built that size too.

Panamax ships are huge ships. Remember that every ship in the whole Carnival empire (with the exception of a couple of oldies and the Seabourn vessels) is at least 12,000 tons larger than the Titanic was.

Doc

The spirit class hull, which is used under a whole bunch of Carnival Corp. ships is a Panamax hull. It is built to the dimensions of the canal. A great many container ships are built that size too.

Panamax ships are huge ships. Remember that every ship in the whole Carnival empire (with the exception of a couple of oldies and the Seabourn vessels) is at least 12,000 tons larger than the Titanic was.

Doc

Stitch and I were discussing exactly that the last time 'Titanic' was on TV... The size of modern cruise ships is amazing. I find it sad that real liners are much a thing of the past, though...

Splendor-986.jpg

When the Splendor repositioned to the West Coast

she had to go 'round South America... a 47 day voyage!!!

On her way around South America, Splendor stopped for the day, here in Barbados

- 4th. January 2009 -a pleasant one-time treat!

Splendor-013.jpg

Yep... you're exactly right. The maximum beam to transit the canal is 106 feet. The Fantasy Class and the Spirit Class can manage this. When the Splendor repositioned to the West Coast she had to go 'round South America... a 47 day voyage!!!

Oh how I would love to do a repositioning cruise like that!

• 3 months later...

I can't find the original article where I read this, but I heard the reason the Paradise was moved specifically to Tampa was because it is a more fuel efficient vessel than the early sister of the fantasy class. That's part of the reason the Elation is assigned to New Orleans as well. Since they are more fuel efficient, they are up to the longer jaunts across Gulf. If you think about it, most of the other Fantasy ships don't travel as far.....

I have no clue how accurate that story was, but I do recall reading it.

We are on the Splendor on Main 2220 soon. In looking at the pictures, I see little tiny portholes/windows on the lowest level, then it looks like 4 portholes on each side on the next level, and then 3 portholes on the next level, that I am guessing is Main deck, but when I look at the deck plans,

it shows interior cabins 2002,2008, 2012, 2016, and then our porthole 2220. Anyone know what I am missing?:confused: Help super Host Mach!!!:D

or anyone else. Many thanks!

We are on the Splendor on Main 2220 soon. In looking at the pictures, I see little tiny portholes/windows on the lowest level, then it looks like 4 portholes on each side on the next level, and then 3 portholes on the next level, that I am guessing is Main deck, but when I look at the deck plans,

it shows interior cabins 2002,2008, 2012, 2016, and then our porthole 2220. Anyone know what I am missing?:confused: Help super Host Mach!!!:D

or anyone else. Many thanks!

When you look at the images of the Splendor the lowest deck with the large windows is the Riviera Deck, the next up is Main Deck. The deck down below with the small portholes is a crew deck.

Cabins 2202 and 2208 do not have portholes, so the first portholes you see on the Main Deck belong to cabin 2212.

Hope that helps!

Archived