Pier at San Diego

socmft

We're thinking of booking the Holiday Inn the night before our cruise...how long of a walk will we have (toting our luggage) to where we can drop our luggage? I know the pier is directly across the street, but I'm wondering if there is still a long walk to where we get rid of our luggage. If the ole RA is active, it may be tricky. Thanks.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last year the night before our cruise. We had a great room directly in front of the pier, a few floors up. It is a great location, and you can easily walk your bags across the street to check-in. We highly recommend it! Also great parking for the week - here's a link to the parking site - http://www.sandiegocruiseshipparking.com/

We're thinking of booking the Holiday Inn the night before our cruise...how long of a walk will we have (toting our luggage) to where we can drop our luggage? I know the pier is directly across the street, but I'm wondering if there is still a long walk to where we get rid of our luggage. If the ole RA is active, it may be tricky. Thanks.

Exit the HI; legally cross N. Harbor Drive at the ped xing;) (see pic' HI is on the left in pink), walk 50' and enter the exterior (south side) part of the cruise terminal via the ped gate after showing your I.D. + cruise docs; walk another 25' or so alongside the south wall of the terminal; drop off your luggage with the steveadores; simple as that

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in April. You can sign up for their free shuttle the night before to get a choice of times if you want them to drive your luggage over to the pier the next day. Or, as pointed out, you can just walk your luggage across the street from the hotel yourself.

If undecided, it is easy to walk over the evening before to have a look around, which many people do anyway as they have dinner at the seafood restaurant by the pier. It is a busy street, but you cross at a traffic light that gives you a long, safe time to get across.

My suggestion would be to sign up for the shuttle when you first check in to reserve your place the next day. Then if you change your mind and decide to handle your luggage yourself, you can always cancel.

Can anyone tell me how long it will take us to get from the San Diego pier to the American Airlines terminal--we are flying home the day we arrive in SD and will probably be in the first group to disembark. We will probably take a taxi and wonder about how much the charge would be. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Can anyone tell me how long it will take us to get from the San Diego pier to the American Airlines terminal--we are flying home the day we arrive in SD and will probably be in the first group to disembark. We will probably take a taxi and wonder about how much the charge would be. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

It shouldn't take 15 minutes, and that's if there's traffic! The airport is very close to the pier. When you stand outside on Lido Deck you can watch the planes land.

It will cost less than $20 for a taxi, if you tip well. This is one of two disembarkation ports where I, as a single, find it costs less to take a cab than use HAL transfers.

Could I have the "official" name of the Holiday Inn mentioned, please? (as there are several in San Diego).

The Holiday Inn directly across the street from the San Diego pier is Holiday Inn on the Bay.

DO NOT confuse it with Holiday Inn Bayside. That is a separate property, and is not near the pier.

Will be there next month. Thanks for the pix Copper 10-8

YW;)

Could I have the "official" name of the Holiday Inn mentioned, please? (as there are several in San Diego). Good info for our cruise next year. How far is "Old Town" from the hotel ??

Does anyone know the exact name of the seafood restaurant ?? Thanks.

Old Towne is a 25-30 minute walk from the HI (depending on your pace). Better yet, a block behind the HI is the San Diego Rail Depot; on the other side of the Depot is a stop for the SD Trolley; it will take you straight to Old Towne. The seafood restaurant also across the street from the HI is Antony's Fish Grotto

When I stayed at the Holiday Inn across from the pier, they transported guests over in their shuttle. I don't know if they still do that, but of your RA is acting up, it's worth asking about.

They were offering the free shuttle as of April, 2010. You have to sign up for it in the lobby and they give you a time slot.

It is important to note that there are two Holiday Inns in the area and the one the OP wants is the Holiday Inn on the Bay.

We enjoyed our stay there and it would be our first choice were we to return.

YW;)

Old Towne is a 25-30 minute walk from the HI (depending on your pace). Better yet, a block behind the HI is the San Diego Rail Depot; on the other side of the Depot is a stop for the SD Trolley; it will take you straight to Old Towne. The seafood restaurant also across the street from the HI is Antony's Fish Grotto

I wouldn't recommend walking to and from old town unless you are in good shape, and not at all after dark. The Trolley is clean and inexpensive. A great way to get around. Old Town is interesting, fun, and has great shops and food.

Seaport Village is nearby and a good place to walk, well lighted, cute yet touristy shops and decent restaurants with views of the bay.

If you are there with lots of day light you can also take the water taxi over to Coronado Island for some shopping and dining and a tour of the Hotel Del Coronado where they filmed "Some Like It Hot".

Archived