October 21, 2011 National Train Strike

euro cruiser

OH I forgot..DYI....but I am curious just how much is a cab to Rome versus having a driver in a van waiting for you? I paid 65E to get from FCO to the Hotel Mozart in a van with plenty of room for my family of 6.

A cab is 40 Euro (set fee); however, you wouldn't get six people into a cab so your van is a great deal.

Yikes! Euro Cruiser, that's my day in Rome! What will this mean? I have a car and driver for the day, tour of the Vatican, etc. What will be impacted? We're planning to see the Vatican, the Colosseum, the Pantheon, Steps, Fountain, John the Lantern, and the other major sites.

Thanks! I'm going to post this information and a link to this thread on my roll call!

Well, here I sit waiting for the November "strike agenda" for both Italy and Greece :rolleyes:

One of the links posted by O/P shows something at Trenitalia on November 26th - but haven't a clue what it says. Anyone know Italian?

Also read on another site that different regions have been using the strike dates to decide their own day usually within a week of the announcement. Any confirmation on this?

OH I forgot..DYI....but I am curious just how much is a cab to Rome versus having a driver in a van waiting for you? I paid 65E to get from FCO to the Hotel Mozart in a van with plenty of room for my family of 6.

I can't help it but in my mind...DYI...means getting my own way in to town and making it easy...that is why I would have a driver waiting with my name on a sign.....

a taxi or the train is just not worth it to these DYIers...

Also, when you put the ! after your post..it looked to me that you as well were concerned about a strike on the day you arrive...my bad:D I just figured you knew/thought that there was a strike scheduled and that is why you ! your post.

Keep in mind that you can apparently divide costs across 6 people. I am traveling solo, so the savings of one train fare versus 65 euro for a car is certainly worth it to me -- it's about $90.

A regular cab to anywhere in the city center is a fixed rate of 40 euros. There is also a bus option from FCO into Rome which I haven't tried yet but may soon -- and it is significantly less; in fact even cheaper than the express train to Termini.

I have no problems with public transportation in most places I travel; it's inexpensive, generally fast, and pretty easy. Once you figure out one train or metro system, it isn't that difficult to figure out others.

(Is it really DIY if you are whisked away in a private car? ;))

Keep in mind that you can apparently divide costs across 6 people. I am traveling solo, so the savings of one train fare versus 65 euro for a car is certainly worth it to me -- it's about $90.

A regular cab to anywhere in the city center is a fixed rate of 40 euros. There is also a bus option from FCO into Rome which I haven't tried yet but may soon -- and it is significantly less; in fact even cheaper than the express train to Termini.

I have no problems with public transportation in most places I travel; it's inexpensive, generally fast, and pretty easy. Once you figure out one train or metro system, it isn't that difficult to figure out others.

(Is it really DIY if you are whisked away in a private car? ;))

I thought you traveled with your family...my bad...so yes for one person the train or cab is perfect...heck, I would do it if I were only traveling with 1 or 2 of my DD's...but with DH and 4 dd's...hiring a driver is definitely DIY!!!

I consider booking the ship's transfer and pre cruise over priced hotel garbage to be NOT DIY...or using a TA to book a hotel room or transfers!:eek:

We do it mostly ourselves and the oldest kid has been to Italy many times alone...but when we are all together...I call my buddy Stefano (eldest kid has called him as well)...I book my own hotels and rail tix and have a driver pick us up in ports that make sense to have a driver pick us up in....like Livorno for example...it costs the same for us to get the driver to bring us to Florence as it would to take the ship's bus only in...and no, I am not wasting time navigating the Livorno port..shuttle..etc...to get to a train...so that 6 of us can save about 20E in total....see what I mean?

But we never take HOHO buses or bus tours that pick you up at the hotel..yuck

but I agree..but can't say that I am looking forward to the day when it happens:(...that traveling solo or duo is very easy and beneficial to DIY...and back in the 70's and 80's that is the way Mom and I did it...each and every time...you should have seen us driving around Europe...anyplace..anytime....no fear..very little luggage..and communing with the locals:D

Archived