October 21, 2011 National Train Strike

euro cruiser

At the moment there is a planned national train strike for Friday, October 21, 2011. The stike is against Gruppo FS and will impact Trenitalia, the national train line. It is scheduled to begin at 9 AM and conclude at 5 PM, which means that cruise passengers planning to use the train from ports (especially Civitavecchia and Livorno) may need to make other plans.

Note that these stikes are often called off before they actually happen, but it's a good idea to have a backup plan in case the stike does go on as currently planned.

You can see the strike listed on two official government sites, the commission that oversees strike actions here (http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/dettaglioSciopero?id=21339&tipo=res) and the Ministry of Transportation here (http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi).

This strike does not impact the Circumvesuviana, the commuter train line that serves Naples, Pompei and Sorrento.

We arrive in Rome on the 21st and will be going directly to the airport. We have a driver arranged to pick us up at the ship, but I guess this means that traffic will be unusually heavy between the ship and the airport? How much extra time should we allow for the trip? We will be leaving the ship at 7 AM.

We arrive in Rome on the 21st and will be going directly to the airport. We have a driver arranged to pick us up at the ship, but I guess this means that traffic will be unusually heavy between the ship and the airport? How much extra time should we allow for the trip? We will be leaving the ship at 7 AM.

Not necessarily. The strike doesn't begin until 9 AM so that commuters can take the train into work, and ends at 5 PM so they can get home.

The train is not a popular travel option for cruisers with luggage, especially those who need to get to the airport for a flight, so that will not significantly increase the road traffic from Civitavecchia to the airport.

Your transfer company will be the best source of information on the impact, if any; check with them and follow their advice.

Unfortunatly we had planned to take the train into Rome that day at the end of our cruise. Looks like I will have to find other transportation. I don't want to gamble that the strike will be called off.

It's always a good idea to have a back up plan; maybe you can book something that can be canceled without penalty if the strike is called off?

It's always a good idea to have a back up plan; maybe you can book something that can be canceled without penalty if the strike is called off?

I think most transfer companies want a week notice. I will have my netbook so I will keep abreast of the situation. Do you know how soon I could know if they call it off. I thought it was usually the day before.

A bit off topic - but I am wondering about the point of these strikes that are so well planned and announced ahead of time.

In the US, employees usually go on strike when their contract runs out and negotiations with management have not been successful. The strike is intended to financially hurt and inconvenience management so that they will be forced to sign a contract that is advantageous to the workers. It usually ends when an agreement is reached.

These strikes in Italy seem to be for a completely different reason. A strike that is planned a month ahead of time for 8 hours accomplishes what? Is it just an extra day off for the workers? A planned "play hooky" day"?

A bit off topic - but I am wondering about the point of these strikes that are so well planned and announced ahead of time.

In the US, employees usually go on strike when their contract runs out and negotiations with management have not been successful. The strike is intended to financially hurt and inconvenience management so that they will be forced to sign a contract that is advantageous to the workers. It usually ends when an agreement is reached.

These strikes in Italy seem to be for a completely different reason. A strike that is planned a month ahead of time for 8 hours accomplishes what? Is it just an extra day off for the workers? A planned "play hooky" day"?

Among other things, it's a form of protest, of making a public statement of dissatisfaction. As political measures to address the European financial crisis are proposed and, eventually, enacted I would expect to see more strikes, and even some "wildcat" ones that are not announced in advance.

We need to take a train from Venice to Milan on Oct 14. I believe I have also read about unplanned strikes sometimes happening. Just in case, we are going to obtain an international drivers license from AAA this week. It will cost about $33, cheap insurance I figure. Comments?

Why?

I have always used my Texas Drivers License, even when I lived there.

Technically an IDP (International Driving Permit) is required in Italy; however, most renters never wind up needing it. In over a decade of renting cars in Italy I've never had one rental agent ask to see it, so you can rent a car without one.

If you get stopped by the police and you don't have an IDP, you could have a problem. All the IDP does is translate your key information into other languages (in this case, Italian) so the reader can easily figure it out. It makes the interaction with the police go smoother and faster.

Why? The strike will be over when I arrive. ;) And I can just grab a cab at FCO if needs be.

OH I forgot..DYI....but I am curious just how much is a cab to Rome versus having a driver in a van waiting for you? I paid 65E to get from FCO to the Hotel Mozart in a van with plenty of room for my family of 6.

I can't help it but in my mind...DYI...means getting my own way in to town and making it easy...that is why I would have a driver waiting with my name on a sign.....

a taxi or the train is just not worth it to these DYIers...

Also, when you put the ! after your post..it looked to me that you as well were concerned about a strike on the day you arrive...my bad:D I just figured you knew/thought that there was a strike scheduled and that is why you ! your post.

There's no pattern that I've ever noticed. I have a gut feeling that this one will not be called off, because it's a Friday and because the heritage sites workers are also calling a strike for the same day. If it happens it will be a tough day for tourists.

Yikes! Euro Cruiser, that's my day in Rome! What will this mean? I have a car and driver for the day, tour of the Vatican, etc. What will be impacted? We're planning to see the Vatican, the Colosseum, the Pantheon, Steps, Fountain, John the Lantern, and the other major sites.

The Vatican and other churches will not be impacted, nor will the Pantheon (which is a church, after all). The Trevi fountain and Spanish Steps will be available to you, but if the heritage sites workers go out the Colosseum and Forum will not be open. You'll be able to walk around it and take pictures from the outside, but not go in.

While it's never ideal when something like this happens, it can be a blessing in disguise as it forces us to open our eyes to other sites we may have overlooked otherwise.

Given the list you have, it would have been hard to squeeze the Colosseum and Forum in anyway, so maybe this is just as well.

One additional church to consider, if you are going up to St. John Lateran anyway, is San Clemente. It's between the Colosseum and St. John Lateran.

Archived