Computer use without internet

RealCajunLady

Do they block the usb ports? If you have a card reader, you should be able to use the Windows file manager to move things without installing any software for the camera. But I suspect they have somehow disabled or blocked the USB ports. All cruise lines block any sort of external media. They're worried about viruses.
On the Noordam every monitor has a card reader attached, but you still can't move files to a jump drive because the USB ports are inaccessible, inside a locked cabinet. But you can use the card reader for free to view pictures, and delete bad shots to free up space. There may be one or more computers on the Maasdam to allow this too, but I don't know.

You can also set your camera for a different resolution (I think that's the word I'm looking for) so that you can get more photos on a memory card. If it's higher, less photos. I personally haven't seen a difference whether I have it set high or low. But maybe printing out photos is the difference. Just a thought.

Oopps, I didn't see Randy's post about resolutions! Sorry.

I have seen people playing Solitare on the computers, though.

You can also set your camera for a different resolution (I think that's the word I'm looking for) so that you can get more photos on a memory card. If it's higher, less photos. I personally haven't seen a difference whether I have it set high or low. But maybe printing out photos is the difference. Just a thought.

Oopps, I didn't see Randy's post about resolutions! Sorry.

I have seen people playing Solitare on the computers, though.

We do a lot with our photos, from printing them to sharing them on line to some artsy-craftsy kind of work so the higher the resolution the more we have to work with. I've never tried but I imagine I could get double or triple the 1,000 images I get on my Nikon if I went with a lower resolution. Once you shot a picture in a low resolution you're kind of stuck with it, it is what it is, but the higher resolution gives you more options to fix or whatever you want to do with a picture. I kind of figure I've spent a few thousand of dollars on a cruise so another $40 or $60 for two or three more memory cards is not going to break me.

I personally haven't seen a difference whether I have it set high or low.
You wouldn't see any difference on a display or small prints, but like Randy said, it depends on what you want to do with your shots. I often crop and keep just parts of pics, or print enlargements, so I want all the resolution I can get. I also have many memory cards, which I back up nightly on a netbook. For people who don't do that, I suggest changing to a new card long before each is full, so in case of loss or malfunction of the camera you won't lose everything.

Great ideas. The only time I used a high resolution was when I was on a cruise to Antarctica and walked among penguins. I have some fabulous shots of those critters! And I did print them out. Other than that, I'm not savvy with Photoshop, etc. and just manage to eek out decent photos. I envy you who do creative things!!!

Great ideas. The only time I used a high resolution was when I was on a cruise to Antarctica and walked among penguins. I have some fabulous shots of those critters! And I did print them out. Other than that, I'm not savvy with Photoshop, etc. and just manage to eek out decent photos. I envy you who do creative things!!!

Try Picasa to edit your pictures. It's free and very easy to use. Does all the basic stuff like crop, sharpen, etc.

If you would like to be a bit creative there's a company called SmileBooks. You use their free program to set up a photobook, upload to their website and you get a beautiful hardbound book. The books aren't cheap but well worth the price.

Archived