Computer use without internet

RealCajunLady

If you bring your own laptop or netbook and use it to record your journal or download your pictures without connecting to the internet, there is no charge.

If you mean can you use the HAL computers and not access the internet - probably not since you would be blocking it from someone who is paying to use the internet.

What is it you want to do on theIr computers without being on the Internet? Odds are it won't be feasible as there really isn't any other software available on the HAL computers. They don't have the ability to up (or down) load anything such as pictures. You log on to the computer, you pays your money. ;)

So you are saying that the computers are always internet connected when they are turned on?? I just want to download pictures from my camera to a Jump drive.

Your camera's driver won't be loaded on HAL's computer and I'm sure they won't allow you to install it. If you want to download pictures from your camera to a jump drive, you'll need to bring your own computer.

Your camera's driver won't be loaded on HAL's computer and I'm sure they won't allow you to install it. If you want to download pictures from your camera to a jump drive, you'll need to bring your own computer.

Do they block the usb ports? If you have a card reader, you should be able to use the Windows file manager to move things without installing any software for the camera. But I suspect they have somehow disabled or blocked the USB ports. All cruise lines block any sort of external media. They're worried about viruses.

Can you read the online New York Times on your own computer no internet charge or jusy a Hal computer? I didn't hear about that before.

As far as I know, it's just on the HAL computers. If you're on your own computer, you probably need to have your own subscription.

If you're using a HAL computer, going to the HAL site or NYTimes site is a good way to see what internet speed is like before you try to log onto your internet package.

Do they block the usb ports? If you have a card reader, you should be able to use the Windows file manager to move things without installing any software for the camera. But I suspect they have somehow disabled or blocked the USB ports. All cruise lines block any sort of external media. They're worried about viruses.

Only the keyboard, mouse and display are accessible, as I recall. The CPU or whatever you call it is installed in a cabinet.

Can you read the online New York Times on your own computer no internet charge or jusy a Hal computer? I didn't hear about that before.

Yes. If you use your own computer it still connects through the HAL on-board router, which allows you to get to the NY Times site for free (and if I recall correctly, without having to log on to the HAL site).

But I suspect they have somehow disabled or blocked the USB ports. All cruise lines block any sort of external media. They're worried about viruses.

And rightfully so. I'd be surprised if they allowed people to open links on their computers....I dunno maybe they don't, I've only used my own. Opening an "interesting looking" link is one of the easiest ways to launch a virus.

I'm kind of curious now about how HAL prevents people from clicking on a potential viral link. I'm sure they have some great antivirus detection sotftware installed, but that's not foolproof. Anyone have any real (not speculative) knowledge about HALs internet security policies and software used to block the nasties from getting in?

This thread has got me thinking about all the crazies out there who get off on infecting systems. I suppose it's not unrealistic that these people might also like to cruise and could easily click on a link that would shut down the entire internet cafe, or at least one computer, depending on how they're networked.

All public access computers in general have keyboard, mouse, and display open.

No access to USB or other ports, the reason to prevent the downloading and uploading of virus, picture, or worst.

Only thing you can do on must public computers is pay per use or if they are free surf.

Just be very aware on any/all public computers to erase the browser history, log off, or... :eek:

I've got a solution for you! Attend the Microsoft onboard class on photo downloading, where they will teach you how to download your pictues to the "Cloud" via Microsoft's Skydrive. They will teach you how to create an account and do the download. You can then access the Skydrive from home and access your photos. If you ask the instructor nicely, he or she may - no guarantees - allow you to download the photos to your own flash drive.

Only HAL computers are set up so that you can read the New York Times for free.

If you use your own computer -- you have to have a subsription to that newpaper (or any other newspaper) and use your internet minutes to read it.

That can be costly.

Dear CC friends - posted my question last night and awoke to find my answer - and a good suggestion about the computer class. I guess I will bring a netbook to be sure I don't run out of space on my camera card. I don't want to miss one picture on our fall cruise to New England and Canada :)

Dear CC friends - posted my question last night and awoke to find my answer - and a good suggestion about the computer class. I guess I will bring a netbook to be sure I don't run out of space on my camera card. I don't want to miss one picture on our fall cruise to New England and Canada :)

Its probably cheaper and safer to bring extra cards.

Its probably cheaper and safer to bring extra cards.

Took the words right off my keyboard. :) Storage media has become so inexpensive there's really no reason not to have several. I do know some folks who download their pictures on a regular basis as an insurance against having a chip go bad which can but doesn't happen often.

I agree about the cards -- for our Alaskan cruise knowing that we were going to 2 new ports -- I also bought a couple of extra cards.

They certainly have gone down in price (with more storage) than the first one I bought years ago.

I'm fond of the 8GB cards. We have two large digital cameras and shoot the highest resolution and storage settings on both which means we get around 1,000 images per card. Standard retail is around $20 per card but you can catch sales that are even lower. We'll be stocking up for our March Med cruise and I'm pretty sure we'll have at least three or four cards for each camera plus our laptop for backup storage. Our new HD camcorder also uses the same kind of card but I'll be going to larger 16GB, or more, cards for it. It uses about 4GB's for one hour of video so around fours hours on a 16GB card.

Only HAL computers are set up so that you can read the New York Times for free.

If you use your own computer -- you have to have a subsription to that newpaper (or any other newspaper) and use your internet minutes to read it.

No. You can access, for free, exactly the the same NYT info from your own computer as from the ship's computers - but in both cases it's not the full site ... or the full-length stories, anyway. For that you would need a subscription.

Archived