Kahului/Lahaina - Need Some Guidance Please

Elephant Man

My wife and I have reservations for the luau at Old Lahaina on Maui. We plan to rent a car for the day to drive around Maui and finish the day at the Old Lahaina luau before driving back to Kahului to return the car and board the ship for departure.

Is anyone able to answer the following questions:

1. Is there a car rental agency very close to the Kahului ship terminal and is a taxi necessary to get to it?

2. How long would it take to drive from Lahaina to the car rental agency to return the car?

3. Are there usually deals available for one-day rentals?

4. What would be an interesting drive on Maui other than the Road to Hana?

Thanks in advance for answers.

E Man

What time is your ships' depature?

1. Is there a car rental agency very close to the Kahului ship terminal and is a taxi necessary to get to it?

All of the car rental agencies in Kahalui are located around the airport which is about 5 minutes from the pier. Because of the number of rentals that go out when a ship is in port, all of the major companies run shuttle busses from the pier to the offices and then back again. Since you may be returning your car to the rental location late, you may want to check when making your reservation as to how late they run the shuttles to the ship.

2. How long would it take to drive from Lahaina to the car rental agency to return the car?

It is about 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic, from Lahania to Kahalui Airport.

I was able to find some online by looking at the different companies.

I enjoyed the drive from Kahalui to Lahania as well as a side trip up to the Iao Valley/Needle. There are several nice places to stop along the Lahania road such as the Tropical Plantation and the Maui Ocean Center. Also several places to stop to see the ocean and even wade into it. You can spend a lot of time in downtown Lahania with many unique shops to wander through.

I hope this will also help answer your last 2 questions.

3. One-day car rental deals

Yes, there are deals for 1-day rentals. We rented a van in each port the last time we did the Hawaiian cruise. I found this site where you can compare prices of 4 agencies.

http://www.hawaiicarrentals.net/rates.html

I usually use this other site http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html to get promo codes when renting cars.

4. Interesting Maui Drives

a. We did the Maui Upcountry drive last April on our way to Haleakala. It was a beautiful drive along sugar cane plantations, farms and gorgeous ocean views. We stopped by a lavender farm and a working goat farm. There's also Maui's only vineyard (Tedeschi) nearby. Here's an idea of what we saw:

http://www.theworldisabook.com/?p=1862

b. We also did some sightseeing from Kaanapali to Kapalua area. We were staying at Kaanapali where most of the resorts were and not too far from Lahaina. It was scenic and peaceful and a good reason why the Ritz Carlton is located in this area.

c. I also agree with DAGVBSB that the drive from Kahului to Iao Needle is a nice one. Maui Tropical Plantation is also a good pit stop.

Have a great trip!

All the responses above are correct, so I'll just give you a different perspective.

We just returned from our trip to Hawaii 2 days ago and although we rented cars on a couple of the islands, and the prices were very reasonable, we really didn't need to.

My wife and I almost booked the "Lahaina on your own" excursion through NCL. After checking out the price NCL charged for a couple ($60), we both agreed it was ridiculous.

Anyway, during breakfast that morning, our waitress overheard our conversation and gave us what turned out to be a great tip: There are free shuttles at the pier that will take you to the Queen Ka'ahumanu shopping center, which is approximately a 10 minute ride. When you arrive at the shopping center, make a beeline straight through the mall until you reach Macy's. Go through Macy's and out the back door to the city bus stop. Every few minutes one of the local public transportation buses will arrive. Take the #20 bus, which will take you to Lahaina! And get this, the bus ride costs $2. That's right. Two bucks, as opposed to the $60 NCL charges.

One caveat to consider before taking my advice: The #20 is a city bus and, as such, makes many stops along the way to Lahaina to pick up and drop off commuters. But if you can deal with taking a little longer to get to Lahaina than the Polynesian/NCL tour buses, you will save a lot of money. Another advantage to taking the #20 bus to Lahaina is your time is truly your own. You can stay in Lahaina as long or short as you want. When you're done, just walk over to the bus stop and catch the next #20 bus that comes along back to Queen Ka'ahumanu shopping center in Kahului, and wait for the next shuttle back to the pier.

This was not the only great deal we found during our trip. In fact, we saved so much money managing most of our activities ourselves that we are absolutely shocked that NCL gets away with charging what they do for their excursions.

That's a great idea & with The Bus on Oahu, there are many more options. For $5 roundtrip you can go practically anywhere on Oahu. It's a great way to go to Pearl Harbor for the Arizona Memorial which is free. Although during peak seasons some have suggested a cab to have a shorter wait for the tender to the Memorial & then The Bus back to the ship. Either way it's a much cheaper option unless you continue to the Ala Moana SC to shop! :p

Either way it's a much cheaper option unless you continue to the Ala Moana SC to shop! :p
Heh. This is true. When we were in Oahu, my wife went to Ala Moana three separate times. I wanted to kill myself. Yeah, the mall is big, and it is something to experience, but sheesh, it is crowded, and noisy, and can be quite expensive.

My wife and I have reservations for the luau at Old Lahaina on Maui. We plan to rent a car for the day to drive around Maui and finish the day at the Old Lahaina luau before driving back to Kahului to return the car and board the ship for departure.

Is anyone able to answer the following questions:

Thanks in advance for answers.

E Man

For an alternative to the Road to Hana, if you're adventurous, you could take the road around the North side of West Maui. Many parts are one-lane -- not just the bridges -- so there are some who don't have the stomach for it. Great things to see along the way. For the best guide to Maui, spend the money on Maui Revealed -- you won't regret it!

Heh. This is true. When we were in Oahu, my wife went to Ala Moana three separate times. I wanted to kill myself. Yeah, the mall is big, and it is something to experience, but sheesh, it is crowded, and noisy, and can be quite expensive.

I got off at the pier & my wife continued to the Ala Moana SC. :eek:

For an alternative to the Road to Hana, if you're adventurous, you could take the road around the North side of West Maui. Many parts are one-lane -- not just the bridges -- so there are some who don't have the stomach for it. Great things to see along the way. For the best guide to Maui, spend the money on Maui Revealed -- you won't regret it!

Parts are very narrow near Kahakuloa...very, very narrow...and barely enough room between the hill & the cliff for 2 cars side by side when one is in a turnout. Other portions aren't too bad & Maui Revealed (or their other island guides) are the best tour guides in Hawaii.

I spend a lot of time in Maui & discovered many great spots around the island from Maui Revealed. Stay within your comfort zone because some things are quite adventuresome in the book. It's one of the criticisms by locals that tourist can get in over their heads & have been injured or killed. Be aware of your limitations & just because it's in the guide it's not for everyone. I've driven to Haleakala for sunrise, driven around the south end to Hana heading back while everyone else was going to Hana. While it was great for me in my car, it's not for everyone. Just respect nature because it can be very unpredictable...sometimes even dangerous off the beaten path in Maui.

Don't think many rental car companies allow their cars to be driven on this road.

Don't think many rental car companies allow their cars to be driven on this road.

Definitely something to consider for either the more remote northern or southern routes. Using my car I rarely rent one & as I recall it's no longer prohibited but something to be confirmed each time. Neither route is as scenic as the Road to Hana so probably not a priority for anyone there on a cruise.

I am booked on POA for March 2012 and spending a lot of time investigating how best to see the islands as this will be our first trip. Right now, I'm focusing on Maui. My initial reading of several posts gave me the idea that we should rent a car and drive to the various points of interest. So, I booked a car from 10am Day 1 through 3pm Day 2. Now I'm having second thoughts. Could some of you who are knowledgeable please comment on my concerns:

1. Now that I have the car overnight I'm wondering where I will park it. Should I have booked two separate cars, one for each day?

2. The only reason I booked a car for Day 2 is because I want to do the Skyline Adventure ziplining in Ka-anapali and I didn't see it offered through NCL, therefore, it seems I need to drive myself to their retail outlet in Ka-anapali. I have the car until 3pm and since the ziplining adventure is about 4 hours I thought I would book for 8am and still have time to get the car back by 3. Does this scenario work easily?

3. I'm now starting to read that some of the roads are not great. We do not plan to be VERY adventurous, we just thought having a car would allow us to stay at a location a little longer or shorter time than a bus tour. For normal driving around, we won't have any issues, right?

4. Can anyone give advice about what order to see the sights to minimize time when we might stop at the same time as the big tour buses?

5. What is the weather likely to be when I go ziplining at 8am in early March? Is it likely to be raining? What do we do with cameras during zipline adventures? Are they even allowed?

6. We are not planning to go to a luau in Maui as we will be in Oahu for a week prior to the tour and have found a very nice one there (recommended by the lady renting us a beach condo). We really just want to see the island on Day 1 in a leisurely pace. Are we being silly to rent a car? Should we just find another tour to take (like one that was mentioned earlier in this thread?) We generally like tours as it is so informative to have a guide.

Thank you for your patience. I have read all the Maui threads but since some say how easy renting a car is and some talk about how great overall tours are, it's making me a little confused about what to do. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

I am booked on POA for March 2012 and spending a lot of time investigating how best to see the islands as this will be our first trip. Right now, I'm focusing on Maui. My initial reading of several posts gave me the idea that we should rent a car and drive to the various points of interest. So, I booked a car from 10am Day 1 through 3pm Day 2. Now I'm having second thoughts. Could some of you who are knowledgeable please comment on my concerns:

1. Now that I have the car overnight I'm wondering where I will park it. Should I have booked two separate cars, one for each day? There is parking at the Pier.

2. The only reason I booked a car for Day 2 is because I want to do the Skyline Adventure ziplining in Ka-anapali and I didn't see it offered through NCL, therefore, it seems I need to drive myself to their retail outlet in Ka-anapali. I have the car until 3pm and since the ziplining adventure is about 4 hours I thought I would book for 8am and still have time to get the car back by 3. Does this scenario work easily? Should work fine. Keep the car overnight, otherwise getting it early enough on day 2 is a problem.

3. I'm now starting to read that some of the roads are not great. We do not plan to be VERY adventurous, we just thought having a car would allow us to stay at a location a little longer or shorter time than a bus tour. For normal driving around, we won't have any issues, right? No, no problems. We have been talking essentially about two roads. The rest are fine.

4. Can anyone give advice about what order to see the sights to minimize time when we might stop at the same time as the big tour buses? Go to suff as far away from the ship as possible. That way you will beat the crowds. Also, start early.

5. What is the weather likely to be when I go ziplining at 8am in early March? Is it likely to be raining? What do we do with cameras during zipline adventures? Are they even allowed? Warm, somewhat humid. Rain is probably less than 30% chance, but it can happen.

6. We are not planning to go to a luau in Maui as we will be in Oahu for a week prior to the tour and have found a very nice one there (recommended by the lady renting us a beach condo). We really just want to see the island on Day 1 in a leisurely pace. Are we being silly to rent a car? Should we just find another tour to take (like one that was mentioned earlier in this thread?) We generally like tours as it is so informative to have a guide.

Thank you for your patience. I have read all the Maui threads but since some say how easy renting a car is and some talk about how great overall tours are, it's making me a little confused about what to do. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Good questions.

Lots of good answers to your questions here. The one thing I would be concerned about is getting to the zipline in Kaanapali for an 8AM appointment. You will need to leave the ship very early as traffic may be heavy that time of day with workers going from Kahului to that area. I don't know this from experience, but it is certainly something to be aware of. I think I would try to get a later time for the zipline. Aloha!

Lots of good answers to your questions here. The one thing I would be concerned about is getting to the zipline in Kaanapali for an 8AM appointment. You will need to leave the ship very early as traffic may be heavy that time of day with workers going from Kahului to that area. I don't know this from experience, but it is certainly something to be aware of. I think I would try to get a later time for the zipline. Aloha!

That's an excellent point because generally there is 'rush hour' traffic even in Maui. Obviously nothing like in other cities or Honolulu & it takes 45 minutes without any delays which can add 15-30 when busy. It's only a 2 lane road which can be shut down for many hours by an accident or brush fire. In the past, in those situations they limit the northern route to locals & thus no way for others between West Maui & other parts of the island.

Just like the discussion about the remote northern & southern routes causing concern about Maui roads, generally the roads are good & easy to get around. I would know if heavy rain is forecasted because it can create road closures & flash floods that cause tranquil streams to become dangerous raging rivers.

It's a great place to visit but have respect for the conditions & don't hesitate to change plans based on conditions.

I was disappointed w/ Skyline Zipline in Kaanapali. It was just ok. The zips were very slow and the scenary was pretty boring compared to others we've done. You do get a good view of the coast but you are not zipping from tree to tree. Several of them were just criss-crossing a ditch. The waterfalls are more like streams.

The zips were so slow that I almost didn't make it to the other side twice! I'm on the slender side but no one would call me skinny. One woman was very small and she didn't make it once. Definitely not a thrilling ride.

I did like that they allowed you to bring your own camera as long as it's on a wrist or neck strap. Other companies won't let you bring them due to "safety concerns", then they take a picture of you on 1 of the ziplines and charge you big $$$ to buy it. Skyline had no problem w/ us taking pics of each other zipping. I was even able to do a self-portrait while on 1 of the ziplines. The guides were pleasant and we had fun. But I wouldn't do it again.

If you've done ziplining before, you will probably be disappointed. If not, well, maybe it will exciting for you.

Excellent point. Didn't really think about traffic. I'll re-evaluate the times to be sure to give myself enough time.

I was disappointed w/ Skyline Zipline in Kaanapali. It was just ok. The zips were very slow and the scenary was pretty boring compared to others we've done. You do get a good view of the coast but you are not zipping from tree to tree. Several of them were just criss-crossing a ditch. The waterfalls are more like streams.

The zips were so slow that I almost didn't make it to the other side twice! I'm on the slender side but no one would call me skinny. One woman was very small and she didn't make it once. Definitely not a thrilling ride.

I did like that they allowed you to bring your own camera as long as it's on a wrist or neck strap. Other companies won't let you bring them due to "safety concerns", then they take a picture of you on 1 of the ziplines and charge you big $$$ to buy it. Skyline had no problem w/ us taking pics of each other zipping. I was even able to do a self-portrait while on 1 of the ziplines. The guides were pleasant and we had fun. But I wouldn't do it again.

If you've done ziplining before, you will probably be disappointed. If not, well, maybe it will exciting for you.

Thank you for giving me these things to think about. I haven't done ziplining before and it is unlikely I will do it again...just one of those things that is a current fad and ended up on my bucket list. I did think I was choosing a more dramatic zip line though, so maybe I need to reassess the one I have chosen.

Does anyone have any other zip line suggestions for Hawaii. It doesn't have to be on Maui, I just thought it would be dramatic, given the video on their Web site (massive waterfalls, 8 zip lines, etc). I'm completely open to suggestion!

Thank you for giving me these things to think about. I haven't done ziplining before and it is unlikely I will do it again...just one of those things that is a current fad and ended up on my bucket list. I did think I was choosing a more dramatic zip line though, so maybe I need to reassess the one I have chosen.

Does anyone have any other zip line suggestions for Hawaii. It doesn't have to be on Maui, I just thought it would be dramatic, given the video on their Web site (massive waterfalls, 8 zip lines, etc). I'm completely open to suggestion!

We are thinking of doing the Zip and Dip in Princeville in Kauai when we go in December. Looks fun, gives you lunch, has great reviews, etc. You can go to this website.....

http://www.princevilleranch.com/

Choose the zip and dip and it will tell you all about it and you can watch a very small little video clip of it. I was a bit disappointed seeing the waterfall they advertised looks pretty small....but overall it looks like fun. I called them and they did say that you have to wear some kind of closed toe shoe...or sandal..and that they rent them to people as well. I think we may do that so we don't have to worry about getting our shoes muddy...if it is muddy or dirty.

There are some in Hilo as well...but my FIL sent me a link to one of them that had a bad accident recently and at the time it was written, one of the workers fell to his death and someone else was in critical condition. Not trying to scare anyone or say anything bad about a place...these thing shappen although I imagine very infrequently and can happen here or wherever.

Archived