Embarkation Time - Rome - What do YOU do?

denisey

Hi All,

We are taking our first cruise in Europe (previously did a TranAtlantic), second cruise on Celebrity.

I was wondering what time people got to the port in Civitavecchia? I'm looking for opinions here, so there are no wrong answers. The cruise line says to be there 3 hours before sailing time (sail at 5, so be there at 3) We normally go earlier when we are going to the Caribbean.

We will be staying in Rome a couple of days before our cruise, but wouldn't mind doing some sight-seeing before heading to the ship. We just want to get a feel on how reasonable that would be, and how much time we can squeeze out that day.

Thanks!

We've only sailed from Rome once. Arrived in Rome very early the prior day and spent the day touring while jet lagged.

The next morning we left for the port around 11AM, got there some time between noon and 1PM. They generally start boarding as early as 11AM and we always try to be on board between 11 and 1.

We had our shuttle show up at our hotels starting 1000. Takes about 1 1/2 to get there with no hassle. We like to get to the ship nice and early. Wandered Roma the day before. I'm the type of traveler that would be thinking A Lot about traffic issues, breakdowns and so on if I was sightseeing in Roma the day of our cruise. I'm just not into 'filling every moment' and we head to the ship.

We traveled with two other couples and were staying in different hotels in different areas, so the Roma Shuttle picked us up first (we stayed up near the Vatican), then downtown near the train station to pick up the 2nd couple and then over a few more blocks to get the others. It was a Hassle! The traffic and very narrow streets in a large bus (thats another story of why a Big Bus!), and it took us over an hr/ hr+1/2 to get everyone then head on out of town.

So yup, you can go sightsee, get back to your hotel or head to the train station and head on down but to be there even 3 hrs before your 5pm departure (which would be arriving at 2pm, not 3pm), means if you taxi/shuttle, that is a 1230 leaving Roma. So not sure that is all worth it to see a few more sights for a short time...not to me, not with a chance of having any problems.

Enjoy and give yourself good padding!

Den

Our first two cruises out of Rome we arrived approximately 12:30 - 1:00

We plan to arrive around 1:00 next month on our third cruise ! Both times we found very little in the way of lines and were on the ship in about 10 minutes tops.......

I think some people get there earlier and find they cannot get to their cabins until @1:00 - and then many people arrive a bit later due to flights and transfers......

BTW I believe you need to be there and checked in 2 hrs before sailing - not 3, which means by 3:00 pm. Your math didnt work in your post :confused:

Hi All,

We are taking our first cruise in Europe (previously did a TranAtlantic), second cruise on Celebrity.

I was wondering what time people got to the port in Civitavecchia? I'm looking for opinions here, so there are no wrong answers. The cruise line says to be there 3 hours before sailing time (sail at 5, so be there at 3) We normally go earlier when we are going to the Caribbean.

We will be staying in Rome a couple of days before our cruise, but wouldn't mind doing some sight-seeing before heading to the ship. We just want to get a feel on how reasonable that would be, and how much time we can squeeze out that day.

Thanks!

We sailed from Rome (August 22) and found boading to be the most confusing and chaotic we have ever experienced. We arrived a little after 1:00 pm, which I believe turned out to be "rush hour". Our alleged priority (Aqua Class) was meaningless and check-in took over an hour. No employee controlled access to each of the lines, so people seemed to enter whichever line they wanted. The next time we sail from Rome we will arrive before 12 noon.

Yet, other posters have reported no problems checking-in at Rome, so perhaps Celebrity has improved the process. This seems to be a "Your mileage may vary" situation. So, it's up to you to decide how important some extra touring is in Rome. For me, I will show up early next time; and there may well be a "next time" for us very soon.

BTW I believe you need to be there and checked in 2 hrs before sailing - not 3, which means by 3:00 pm. Your math didnt work in your post :confused:

Well, I'd say math isn't my strong suit...but you'd never guess what I do for a living! :)

Hi All,

Thanks!

On our recent Equinox cruise we got woke up at a leisurely hour, ate breakfast, took a short stroll around our Rome neighborhood, checked out of our hotel, and caught an 11am ('ish) train to Civitavecchia, arriving around noon. Last year was similar, other than my waking up earlier and having a bit of a delay leaving our hotel due to a parade blocking the street (but the parade was fun and we were in no hurry).

I love Rome, but I also enjoy having a relaxing day to start the cruise with. And this timing got us to the ship at a good time to eat lunch (and start enjoying our beverage packages). And my answer would likely be different if I hadn't been to Rome before and/or didn't have a few days to spend pre- or post-cruise in Rome.

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the same cruise on the Equinox in April 30 out of Rome......I have read that people have been able to board as early as noon. We have to check out of our hotel at 10am so will probably have breakfast and head out to the terminal. We are in CC class for early embarkation but who knows....it's probably the same for everyone.....at least I've been reading this. :-(

We are on the same cruise on the Equinox in April 30 out of Rome......I have read that people have been able to board as early as noon. We have to check out of our hotel at 10am so will probably have breakfast and head out to the terminal. We are in CC class for early embarkation but who knows....it's probably the same for everyone.....at least I've been reading this. :-(

You're right - "early embarkation" means nothing. It comes down to CC/AQ suites/Elite having separate check-in lines. These separate lines may allow you to check-in quicker than the non-priority passengers, which would then mean getting an earlier boarding. So, no "early boarding" per se, just priority check-in lines.

For my cruise last August, access to the lines was not monitored and everything from submitting the health questionnaire, clearing security, and checking-in took about 90 minutes or so. But, we arrived around 1:00pm which turned out to be too late to avoid the crowds. Next month for the TA, we will arrive before noon. Lesson learned.

Since you seem to be planning to arrive at the port before noon, I would guess you will have no problems boarding quickly.

:):):)We just came home from the 10/10 cruise and we checked in at about noon. Took a total of 10 minutes to get on. Our room was not ready till 3:00 but it gives you time to explore or go to the buffet for lunch.

GREAT CRUISE!!!!!!

We did that last month and got to the dock about 11:00. We walked in, they gave us our "number" and immediately went in the short line to get our SeaPass card. We immediately boarded the ship and went to the Ocean View Cafe for lunch and relaxation. We were not able to get to our room till 1:15 but we had a chance to sit by the pool, went to the library to get a book or two, check our reservations with the specialty dining room (and there was an error) and tour a little. I like getting the lay of the land before the big rush.

We just got off the Equinox

Landed at the airport at 10:30a

We got to the port around 12:30p

The ship did not start boarding until 1:00p

However you could check - in etc in advance and just wait until people boarded

No line whatsoeever and it's a big ship

Hope this helps

jc

toronto

We cruised on Silhouette Sept 15. We were picked up by Rome In Limo at 8AM, went to Castello Odescalchi di Bracciano at Lake Bracciano, toured the castle, which was VERY cool and then drove to the port. Got there about 12:45 and it took less than 10 minutes from the car to the ship...easiest embarkation ever!! So, yes you have time to see some sights. I didn't want to waste an entire day in Italy just going to the ship!!:)

We cruised on Silhouette Sept 15. We were picked up by Rome In Limo at 8AM, went to Castello Odescalchi di Bracciano at Lake Bracciano, toured the castle, which was VERY cool and then drove to the port. Got there about 12:45 and it took less than 10 minutes from the car to the ship...easiest embarkation ever!! So, yes you have time to see some sights. I didn't want to waste an entire day in Italy just going to the ship!!:)

Sounds like a good plan--I have never understood why people want to rush to get on the ship just to have lunch onboard and then sit and wait to get into their cabin, seems like a waste of time especially *if* you in a far off part of the world that has many places to see and things to do. Early embark for the Caribbean, sure--but in Rome--never---squeeze in every moment--life is short. On our upcoming Equinox TA we have booked transfer that will probably get us to the ship about 12:30, after embark we will leave the ship and then go into Civiatecchia to walk around the town and see what it is like. and still be back onboard in plenty of time for muster drilll.The ship will be running the shuttle to the port entrance so it will be easy to get into town--that is *if* embarkation goes smoothly and we have ample time.

Archived